100 degree heat wave and priming

Hosted by Dave Parker from AFV Modeller magazine and Adam Wilder, this discussion group is geared towards modelling technique questions ranging from construction to final weathering. This forum was created so that "newbies" can post without being intimidated by the sometimes highly technical nature of the other discussion groups.

100 degree heat wave and priming

June 8th, 2011, 3:04 am #1

Well, its supposed to be 97 tomorrow, 98 the next day. I wanted to prime some Tiger Schurzen I redid for a project that refuses to be completed.. If I recall, high temps like this are a no no.
Some have suggested skipping priming altogether, as it diminishes detail. Not sure if that is wise with brass parts though.

June 8th, 2011, 7:42 pm #2

All foolishness aside, I am assuming you prime outdoors ... as I do. My wife has no problem with my airbrushing Tamiya, Vallejo and Lifecolor, but the Gunze stuff is a big no-no. So, when I prime, I am relegated to the back deck, can in hand. Even on really hot days I can't recall ever having coverage or adhesion problems on anything I paint outside, and I prime everything. Of course, I don't let anything heat up under the sun either. But I've done this for a few years now and have not experienced any ill-effects. I rattle the can, hold the part, step outside (moving a distance away from the house deemed acceptable to the wifey) and spray away.

Peace,
Mike

June 8th, 2011, 8:05 pm #3

as Mike's, never really had a problem spraying primer in hotter weather. But I too stick with quality hobby primers like Gunze and Tamiya, a Home Depot primer may be different.

Not a lot of detail to ruin on a set of schurzen anyway, so wouldn't worry too much. Always spray light thin coats and build up, rather than try to cover it all in one go, usually is a solid guaranteed method to work right for all conditions.

Maybe spray around dusk or in the morning when it's cooler (or less humid), if you think it may be an issue.

Best,

Mike

June 8th, 2011, 8:42 pm #4

Hey Michael (Rinaldi),

For what it is worth, I am using auto primer, I have been told it is the same as the stuff in hobby shops, but this could be wrong.
Just wanted to make sure it is safe, so that I am not sorry.
I might test regular paint on an unused portion (onne panel is different for the tamiya kit).
EDIT: One thing, the bolts and the ribbing do have detailing htat could be obscured by priming.
Also, it is just too damn hot outside all of a sudden.

Last edited by D_McKeever on June 8th, 2011, 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 9th, 2011, 10:16 am #5

I love spraying on hot days. Best time to spray if you ask me. I dont use any primer though. And when hot days are predicted, I generally pull out about half a dozen kits, and set up a drying table, outside, in the direct sun. Doesnt affect the finish, and dries super quick.

Paint will also stick a lot better to a warm plastic surface.

Glen Burns

Creative Models Australia
glen@creativemodels.com.au
www.creativemodels.com.au
Last edited by CreativeModelsAustralia on June 9th, 2011, 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 9th, 2011, 4:57 pm #6

Hey Michael (Rinaldi),

For what it is worth, I am using auto primer, I have been told it is the same as the stuff in hobby shops, but this could be wrong.
Just wanted to make sure it is safe, so that I am not sorry.
I might test regular paint on an unused portion (onne panel is different for the tamiya kit).
EDIT: One thing, the bolts and the ribbing do have detailing htat could be obscured by priming.
Also, it is just too damn hot outside all of a sudden.
Nope, someone fed you a line and you bought it, pal. The heavy duty primer you are using is probably much to heavy for model work. If you haven't tried it, give the Gunze and Tamiya primer a try, as Mike (Rinaldi) suggested ...

Hopes this helps ... hugs and kisses

Kirchoff

July 24th, 2011, 8:19 pm #7

Mike that is hilarious

Regards
Andy K

--------------------------------------------
http://andyksmodelblog.blogspot.com/