1/76 Scammell R100/Ruston Bucyrus 19RB Excavator

December 6th, 2014, 2:45 pm #1

Here is my completed project of another piece of plant equipment not often modeled by military modelers.
It is the Milicast Scammell R100 Gun Tractor which also doubled as a tower of heavy plant equipment. It is towing a scratch-built purpose-built trailer made by the Ruston Bucyrus Company to carry the RB series of cranes, excavators, etc. It also featured a removable top which could be put in place to carry other pieces of equipment. To load the excavator, the front bogie was removed from the apex of the triangular frame and using the ramps shown in the photo, the excavator was driven up the ramps onto the frame. The frame was jacked up at the front and re-attached to the bogie for transport. The excavator is a Corgi Trackside product kindly given to me by friend Dave Rhodes and the base was scratch-built to accommodate a set of aftermarket track assemblies kindly sent to me by Jaymes Crowther. Thanks to both of them for their generosity. No other changes were made to the excavator other than a cable guide added to the top of the boom. The figures are from the Milicast set of British Squaddies. Mike Starmer was also helpful with colour schemes and Pete Marshall (Aleran) provided the decals. It is marked for a Mechanical Equipment Coy of the 21st Army Group in France, 1944.

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Neil

Last edited by Neil Craig on December 6th, 2014, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beautiful model

December 6th, 2014, 5:35 pm #2

Hi Neil
A lovely subject, beautifully done!

Regards
Tim

December 6th, 2014, 6:03 pm #3

Here is my completed project of another piece of plant equipment not often modeled by military modelers.
It is the Milicast Scammell R100 Gun Tractor which also doubled as a tower of heavy plant equipment. It is towing a scratch-built purpose-built trailer made by the Ruston Bucyrus Company to carry the RB series of cranes, excavators, etc. It also featured a removable top which could be put in place to carry other pieces of equipment. To load the excavator, the front bogie was removed from the apex of the triangular frame and using the ramps shown in the photo, the excavator was driven up the ramps onto the frame. The frame was jacked up at the front and re-attached to the bogie for transport. The excavator is a Corgi Trackside product kindly given to me by friend Dave Rhodes and the base was scratch-built to accommodate a set of aftermarket track assemblies kindly sent to me by Jaymes Crowther. Thanks to both of them for their generosity. No other changes were made to the excavator other than a cable guide added to the top of the boom. The figures are from the Milicast set of British Squaddies. Mike Starmer was also helpful with colour schemes and Pete Marshall (Aleran) provided the decals. It is marked for a Mechanical Equipment Coy of the 21st Army Group in France, 1944.

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Neil
Another tour de force. Exquisite piece of work and a great team behind you. I've very much enjoyed following this build.

All the best

Dan
Dan Taylor Modelworks

"My life is like my room - I'm sure it was tidy two days ago" Alphonse Tram in the film 'Buffet Froid' 1979

December 6th, 2014, 8:42 pm #4

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Neil

Instantly recognizable as a Neil Craig Original, very nice work. I always love the shade of olive drab you use and the way you do the Mickey Mouse camo. The small base realIy adds to the model. Interesting and unique subject too, and your figure painting skills are excellent as well.

Looking forward to your next project.

Stefan

Another gem

December 6th, 2014, 8:50 pm #5

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Neil

Incredible work, as always. Love the figures - if I could manage half that good I'd be more than happy.

December 6th, 2014, 9:02 pm #6

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Neil

Perfection. Nothing else to say

Awesome...

December 6th, 2014, 11:48 pm #7

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Neil,

Yet another little masterpiece, I just love to see your work, truly inspirational. The whole piece, including the two figures, is beautifully done and just oozes period detail. Well done again, lovely job.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

Superb!

December 7th, 2014, 2:37 am #8

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Neil

Neil

I reckon you've got a secret way of shrinking real life objects down to 1/76 scale

Great work as usual!

Cheers

David
David Clark
Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria, Australia

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be - Simone Signoret

Great model,

December 7th, 2014, 9:29 am #9

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Neil

Love the details and all of that combo, perfect for me, thnaks for sharing

Domin

Thanks to All of You!

December 7th, 2014, 10:42 am #10

Hope you like it.

Cheers,

Neil

Thank you Tim, Dan, Stefan, Bill, Paul, Paul David and Domingo for your very generous comments on my model. It is really gratifying that you appreciate my efforts so much and I do look forward to sharing the next one with you all.

Cheers,

Neil