1/76 LRDG Vehicles

Hosted by Paul Giles, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/72 scale and smaller AFV modelling.

1/76 LRDG Vehicles

August 6th, 2017, 10:22 am #1

I just finished up a couple of typical LRDG trucks. They are basically OOB with a few additions and are crewed by Milicast LRDG figures which were recently released. The Ford F30 is a Milicast offering and is really OOB with no additions save for the camo net. Decals were kindly provided by Pete Marshall and my thanks goes to him. Here are some photos:

Next up is the Revell (ex-Matchbox) Chev 30 cwt. Additions here were P/E sand channels, rolled foil sand-mats, tissue covered window covers and side curtains, tissue tarp and camo net. The figures are also by Milicast and the kit decals had the wrong colour for the patrol patch for "R" patrol so Pete Marshall did those as well as the name "Rotowaro".

Cheers,

Neil

August 6th, 2017, 11:18 am #2

Hi Neil,

As I am currently 'doing' the Western Desert in my models, I supposed I should include some LRDG/SAS vehicles as well. Seeing your two cracking models has convinced me I really should. Your LRDG trucks look just right and have your usual 'touch' that bring the vehicles to life. I like the Ford F30, something a little different from the usual Chevys, also it has the Vickers machine gun, which I always liked on LRDG vehicles. Can you recommend some good references for these vehicles, I am afraid I don't have any at the moment.

All the best,

Paul
“Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons.”
― Douglas MacArthur

August 6th, 2017, 12:04 pm #3

I just finished up a couple of typical LRDG trucks. They are basically OOB with a few additions and are crewed by Milicast LRDG figures which were recently released. The Ford F30 is a Milicast offering and is really OOB with no additions save for the camo net. Decals were kindly provided by Pete Marshall and my thanks goes to him. Here are some photos:

Next up is the Revell (ex-Matchbox) Chev 30 cwt. Additions here were P/E sand channels, rolled foil sand-mats, tissue covered window covers and side curtains, tissue tarp and camo net. The figures are also by Milicast and the kit decals had the wrong colour for the patrol patch for "R" patrol so Pete Marshall did those as well as the name "Rotowaro".

Cheers,

Neil

All that stowage really adds to the interest and realism - outstanding job!

August 6th, 2017, 12:08 pm #4

Hi Neil,

As I am currently 'doing' the Western Desert in my models, I supposed I should include some LRDG/SAS vehicles as well. Seeing your two cracking models has convinced me I really should. Your LRDG trucks look just right and have your usual 'touch' that bring the vehicles to life. I like the Ford F30, something a little different from the usual Chevys, also it has the Vickers machine gun, which I always liked on LRDG vehicles. Can you recommend some good references for these vehicles, I am afraid I don't have any at the moment.

All the best,

Paul
Many thanks Paul...there are a few good pages on the internet which I have linked below:
http://www.lrdg.de/vehicles.htm
http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/lrdgpatrol.html (Equipment)
http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/camo.html (Camouflage)
http://lrdg.hegewisch.net/troopers/index.html (Uniforms)

There are also a number of good photos of the different vehicles on the internet. I simply googled them to get what I need.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Neil

August 6th, 2017, 12:08 pm #5

All that stowage really adds to the interest and realism - outstanding job!
....your comments are much appreciated.

Cheers,

Neil

August 6th, 2017, 12:14 pm #6

Cheers,

Neil

Two excellent vignettes!

You have the knack of using exactly the right number of figures to make the scene more interesting without diverting attention from the vehicles.

Cheers

David
David Clark
Bellarine Peninsula, Victoria, Australia

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be - Simone Signoret

August 6th, 2017, 12:35 pm #7

.....I have always felt less it better as it is the vehicle I am trying to showcase but with some sense of scale and purpose.

Cheers,

Neil

August 6th, 2017, 1:13 pm #8

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Neil,
Exellent work, as always. I hope it isn't too late to add the prominent mudflaps behind the rear wheels, most of the LRDG Chevs have them, the one(s) you've decided to represent have them too.
Why "the oneS"? I'm afraid you fell victim of bad research. R4/L4618912 is "Rotoway" and "Rotowaro" is R5/L4618964. After so many years of research of those LRDG vehicles I can confirm it with pictures. Sorry to rain on your parade, I think you must know this. Why didn't you ask me in time? You can correct this easily too anyway.
Cheers!

August 6th, 2017, 1:49 pm #9

Hi Ilian....should have realized your expertise also would carry into the LRDG. I afraid I made some bad assumptions on the Chev but they are easily correctible I think I have the decal still for "Rotowai". You spelled it "Rotoway" but internet references and the decal show Rotowai and I am applying that over the errant one. All else is the same I think and the name plaque will need changing. I'm sure it is still R1 patrol. I will also add the missing mudflaps.

Thanks for pointing it out and keeping me on the straight and narrow.

Cheers,

Neil

August 6th, 2017, 1:53 pm #10

Cheers,

Neil

They may strait out of box but beautifully made and painted just oozes atmosphere