1/48 tiger & accessories recommendation?

Hosted by Luciano Rodriguez and Pat Johnston, this discussion group is dedicated to 1/48 scale AFV, vehicle and figure modelling.

1/48 tiger & accessories recommendation?

October 27th, 2009, 5:35 am #1

Hi all

I'm looking at doing a 1/48 Tiger 1, want to add the usual etch and metal tracks etc, but which kit should I look at as a base? Which is the most accurate?

And what etch/accessory kits should I look at?

Thanks for any advice.

October 27th, 2009, 10:36 am #2

hi Rob

Tigers improve them, are those of AFV (ex skybow) have two models the initial and the final because zimmerit comes back with the final and the grate on etched.
tamiya has two initial models and Africa.
can I change the barrel by one of Rb Models, and the chains is about to plastic Afv by links very good, if not from Friulmodel in metal, resin WWII productions.
Hauler without hesitation in photo-etched set

greetings Xavier

October 27th, 2009, 10:55 am #3

Hi all

I'm looking at doing a 1/48 Tiger 1, want to add the usual etch and metal tracks etc, but which kit should I look at as a base? Which is the most accurate?

Thanks for any advice.
they have 2 kits, better in detail than the 2 Tamiya kits in my opinion. And the old Bandai kit can still be had, but it's poor.

Had you a specific time period in mind? Tiger research has reached the point where you can pin down the details for a specific month.

David

October 27th, 2009, 12:38 pm #4

I hadnt decided on a specific tiger, but i'd like to do an early with Feifels, early cupola, AP mine dischargers, and also with spare tracks on the turret sides.

If memory serves, that puts it somewhere around april-may '43.

October 27th, 2009, 6:50 pm #5

Hi all

Thanks for any advice.
Rob,

AFV-CLub Tiger kit (early and late are excellent).
RB-Model gun barrel.
Hauler PE set (various available).
Fruil Model tracks.

Please check out homepages of all those brands to start.

HTH
Lu

October 27th, 2009, 10:12 pm #6

I hadnt decided on a specific tiger, but i'd like to do an early with Feifels, early cupola, AP mine dischargers, and also with spare tracks on the turret sides.

If memory serves, that puts it somewhere around april-may '43.
Neither AFV Club nor Tamiya provide spare turret tracks in their Early kits.

David

October 28th, 2009, 11:13 am #7

Well, considering i plan to add fruil tracks, i could use the kit tracks for spares. Hopefully one of the etch sets includes track holders.

October 28th, 2009, 4:45 pm #8

The spare tracks on the turret were not connected, so you need separate links.
The AFV tracks are flexible-band, the Tamiya are link-and-length. So only Tamiya provide individual links. And you sort of need them for the tank itself.
Both kits have a length of spare track for the hull front, but it's connected up.

Of course, a tank could run around with empty track link holders. But they were castings and don't look too good as etch.

David
Last edited by DavidByrden on October 28th, 2009, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.