1/35 Whippet track help needed.

Hosted by Francois Gousse this discussion group is dedicated to AFV's of the First World War from all countries as well as tank development during the 1920s and 1930s.

1/35 Whippet track help needed.

Tom Sime
Tom Sime

November 23rd, 2004, 4:33 am #1

I am awaiting the arrival of the Emhar Whippet in 1/35 scale and I’d like to make my own tracks for it, to do this I need the dimensions for the links. I’d very much appreciate it if someone could post or send me the dimensions of the links on the kit or those of the aftermarket links from Model Cellar.
Tom

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

November 23rd, 2004, 10:43 am #2

Tom

I'll need to check, but I think its 20.5 inch. Certainly not the wider track.

Mike

Shane Black
Shane Black

November 23rd, 2004, 12:06 pm #3

Was this the width of the track fitted to the Mk1's? Or is that different again? I know that there is a difference between the first marks and the Mk 4.

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

November 23rd, 2004, 1:33 pm #4

Hiya

Little Willie and everything to the Mk VII (I think) had 20.5 inch track. 26.5 inch track was an option on Mk Vs and pretty standard on Mk V*s.

26.5 was designed to give better flotation, and in theory did away with the need for "spuds/grousres" which were a pain in the neck - I've just been reading an after action report on Passchendaele that speaks of them breaking and getting snagged in wire, and I've reda other accounts of them coming off. Aparently wooden spuds were much preferred

26.5 inch was itself very unpopular - at least on Mk Vs- from what I can gather from the after action reports at the PRO. It wore badly, and broke often.

BTW - yestaerday, by an odd coincidence I was looking at D Battalions report of action on 23rd Nov 1917! A composite company of two scrtach sections supported an attcak on Bourlon village. Much damage and mechanical problems, but I don't think any tank casualties from memeory.

Miek Cooper

Chris Bridgman
Chris Bridgman

November 23rd, 2004, 5:23 pm #5

I am awaiting the arrival of the Emhar Whippet in 1/35 scale and I’d like to make my own tracks for it, to do this I need the dimensions for the links. I’d very much appreciate it if someone could post or send me the dimensions of the links on the kit or those of the aftermarket links from Model Cellar.
Tom
Tom

If it helps, as near as I can measure with the mark 1 eyeball, the AA individual links are 15mm by 8mm. The 8mm includes just over 1mm of raised edge which overlaps the next plate.

I'll send you a pic of mine when get round to photographing it.

Regards

Chris

Tom Sime
Tom Sime

November 24th, 2004, 2:36 am #6

Tom
Great stuff guys just the information I needed.

I am going to make an individual link and then cast it, from a set of multiple castings I will make a length of track, then cast it. I’ll then be able to replace the Emhar track using a combination of lengths and links. IF the Emhar Mk.V turns out to be worthwhile I can then use the same castings to tweak it (c:#*

I understand that the Model Cellar links are detailed both sides I intend to detailed only on the “exposed” side and the "edges", my links wont “clip together(?)” but will fit and aligned by sliding into each other-well at least that’s the plan! I’ll let you all know it works (or not!).

Tom

PS
Mike thanks for the information on the Canadian Tank Rgmts maybe I could do my “choo-choo” officer as a Canadian – the head is a portrait so I’ll have to change it now where the heck is my Airfix Multipose.........
(c:#*

Shane Black
Shane Black

November 24th, 2004, 12:08 pm #7

Hiya

Little Willie and everything to the Mk VII (I think) had 20.5 inch track. 26.5 inch track was an option on Mk Vs and pretty standard on Mk V*s.

26.5 was designed to give better flotation, and in theory did away with the need for "spuds/grousres" which were a pain in the neck - I've just been reading an after action report on Passchendaele that speaks of them breaking and getting snagged in wire, and I've reda other accounts of them coming off. Aparently wooden spuds were much preferred

26.5 inch was itself very unpopular - at least on Mk Vs- from what I can gather from the after action reports at the PRO. It wore badly, and broke often.

BTW - yestaerday, by an odd coincidence I was looking at D Battalions report of action on 23rd Nov 1917! A composite company of two scrtach sections supported an attcak on Bourlon village. Much damage and mechanical problems, but I don't think any tank casualties from memeory.

Miek Cooper
Interesting that. It bugs me when people think that all WW1 Tanks are just clumsy rombhoids. There are heaps of little details that give these things so much character.

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

November 24th, 2004, 12:40 pm #8

You've put your finger on it exactly. Say 4000 machines produved by Britain in two years and used by, what 18 Battalions. Got to be interesting detail there!

Like...one problem withthe Mk V is that the Driver can burn his back on the engine. Mk Ivs just love to boil over, and the fuel feed pipes don't always meet...

Mike Cooper

Shane Black
Shane Black

November 25th, 2004, 7:53 am #9

Yeah, as they say, those tanks were probably more dangerous to their crews than to the enemy but there is so much more to them when you start looking into it. I mean, Males Females Hermaphrodites in at least 4 different marks that saw combat. Just look at the variants of the Mk 5 you got the 5, the 5* and the 5** plus the male/female and hermaphrodite combinations let alone experimentals.
I just love them!

Mike Cooper
Mike Cooper

November 25th, 2004, 9:28 am #10

Oh yes!

Did I mention that in teh Mk V there were complaints that teh driver could burn his back on the engine?

Looking at combat reports, you're dead right. Although a Mk V won't KILL you, if the enemy doesn't hit you with artillery I will make sur that you're prettty sick after a hour or two. Doesn't happen in Mk IVs, they just wear you out!

Super stuff. Must get my Mk I Female going again...

Mike Cooper