1/35 track

Hosted by Al Bowie and Brett Green, the General AFV Modelling discussion group covers any general military modelling topic including industry news and announcements.

1/35 track

November 25th, 2011, 10:45 pm #1

Chalk this up to not striking while the iron is hot. There is--or used to be--a product called real-rail, as shown here:

http://www.hobcen.com/realrail/index.htm

I wrote the webmaster inquiring about suitable ballast, and he informs they no longer carry (or produce) this.
So I am left in need of suitable 1/35 track. I really do not want to use resin or plastic track bed. Any help?

November 26th, 2011, 2:23 am #2

Mr. McKeever
I'm working on a diorama with a flatbed railroad car. I started with the Dragon rails, tossed the bed, and built the tracks from the kit since I didn't think they looked that bad. I put the rails on a styrofoam bed covered with Celluclay, then covered that with Woodland scenics ballast (2 colors of grey)held in place with LOTS of Woodland Scenics Scenic Cement (basically thinned white glue). I replaced the kit spikes with real ones from the model railroad world. I don't remember the brand, my LHS got them for me.
Hope this helps. Drop me a line if you want more info.
Scott

November 26th, 2011, 4:32 am #3

I would imagine that lay your own track in O scale would about do it?

November 26th, 2011, 8:47 am #4

Chalk this up to not striking while the iron is hot. There is--or used to be--a product called real-rail, as shown here:

http://www.hobcen.com/realrail/index.htm

I wrote the webmaster inquiring about suitable ballast, and he informs they no longer carry (or produce) this.
So I am left in need of suitable 1/35 track. I really do not want to use resin or plastic track bed. Any help?
I was asking similar questions a year ago. I ended up using some cheaply had DML rails and ties [with a lot of added grain/distress]on a railbed of mainly cat litter with some small stones and model RR ballest added.

The effect was suitable, even if the hardware/spikes are not maybe not arranged quite right for the purest. Another plus was the tracks came in an OrangeBox for $20 and came with a PZIII and a very basic flatbed too.

Another option came to light, that I might want to get into for my next build on rails---is this nice steel from

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/36in-Micro ... 17-125.htm

If you try it--do let mw know how it turns out
Adam

November 26th, 2011, 1:46 pm #5

They look nice, but it does not indicate scale. Given its association, I would imagine it is 0 scale, which is closer to 1:48 than 1;35

November 26th, 2011, 2:18 pm #6

I would imagine that lay your own track in O scale would about do it?
N/T

November 26th, 2011, 11:46 pm #7

They look nice, but it does not indicate scale. Given its association, I would imagine it is 0 scale, which is closer to 1:48 than 1;35
It says 1/35 three times in the ad. N/t

November 27th, 2011, 1:20 am #8

I was asking similar questions a year ago. I ended up using some cheaply had DML rails and ties [with a lot of added grain/distress]on a railbed of mainly cat litter with some small stones and model RR ballest added.

The effect was suitable, even if the hardware/spikes are not maybe not arranged quite right for the purest. Another plus was the tracks came in an OrangeBox for $20 and came with a PZIII and a very basic flatbed too.

Another option came to light, that I might want to get into for my next build on rails---is this nice steel from

http://www.handlaidtrack.com/36in-Micro ... 17-125.htm

If you try it--do let mw know how it turns out
Adam

My understanding is much of the European rail system used bolts instead of spikes which should make Grandt Line happy. Spikes were indeed used but nowhere near like in North America. This from my 'train geek' cousin.
Cheers, Dave

November 27th, 2011, 1:25 am #9

Incidentally, I have ascertained that an obsucre outdoor scale known as Gauge 1 is 1:35. And I found a vendor that sells the track by the yard. . ..

November 27th, 2011, 1:31 am #10

It says 1/35 three times in the ad. N/t
The ad I posted no longer produces the item, whcih is why I posted this. I contacted the vendor linked to in this thread, and its not 1/35. . .