1/35 French Gnome-Rhône AX2 RMs with sidecar - Does anyone make one?

The Axis WWII discussion group is hosted by Tom Cockle and is dedicated to Axis armour of the Second World War.

1/35 French Gnome-Rhône AX2 RMs with sidecar - Does anyone make one?

December 23rd, 2011, 5:35 pm #1

Hello all,

Does anyone make a 1/35 French Gnome-Rhône AX2 RMs with side car?

I'm aware that Propaganda Company makes one in resin but have been advised to stay away...and for the price they're asking, this may be good advice....especially considering that I will be displaying it as damaged.

Did Heller make one long ago?

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Cheers from NYC and a Merry Christams to all,
Michael

December 23rd, 2011, 6:06 pm #2

Heller did have one in their 1/35 range (an ok kit) but it is very hard to find nowadays, watching ebay might be the best choice. The French army also used a wide array of other bikes, Indian and Harley included, there were also some instances of german bikes being captured and re-used during the 1940 campaign.

December 23rd, 2011, 7:19 pm #3

Hello all,

I'm aware that Propaganda Company makes one in resin but have been advised to stay away...and for the price they're asking, this may be good advice....especially considering that I will be displaying it as damaged.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Michael
Hi Michael,

Redux did a re-box of Heller kit with some improvements ( PE and resin upgrade )
It's currently OOP, but might still be found on eBay

Heller kit is not that bad, but need some work nevertheless

I reworked the moto some time ago

Btw, shouldn't this post be in Allied DG instead ?

http://navy.95.free.fr/?id=1&album=Moto_GnomeRhone

December 23rd, 2011, 7:59 pm #4

Hello all,

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Michael
Hi Michael,

Just a point to note : the side-car as depicted by Heller is a post-war variant. You can see the differences here :http://minitracks.forumpersos.com/t5750 ... montcornet
The correct one is the "high" one.

For the Propaganga Kompanie (not for the heart fainted) :http://maquette-garden.forumactif.com/t ... x2-side-dp

The Redux upgrade is available from time to time through Ebay France.

Hope it helps,

Cheers,
Patrice.

December 23rd, 2011, 11:04 pm #5

Hello all,

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Michael
Your thoughts are much appreciated......

I will definitely avoid the resin kit...thanks.

Yvan makes agood point re: where I posted this...I will also now post it on the Allied forum. However, I plan to build it as used by the Germans in Normandy, hence my initial posting here.

I will look for the Heller kit.

Merci et Joyeux Noel,
Michael

December 24th, 2011, 7:40 pm #6

Hi Michael,

Just a point to note : the side-car as depicted by Heller is a post-war variant. You can see the differences here :http://minitracks.forumpersos.com/t5750 ... montcornet
The correct one is the "high" one.

For the Propaganga Kompanie (not for the heart fainted) :http://maquette-garden.forumactif.com/t ... x2-side-dp

The Redux upgrade is available from time to time through Ebay France.

Hope it helps,

Cheers,
Patrice.
Hi Patrice,

I always understood that the "high" sidecar was the original GR design for the French Army, but the "low" sidecar with a high exhaust silencer, were the German modifications made during WWII when most GR were built in Belgium by Terrot for the Wehrmacht.
The German specificatio nalso included a passenger saddle.

cheers leonard paul

December 24th, 2011, 8:20 pm #7

Hi Paul,

The "high exhaust" was a French modification during production to improve off-road riding.
Terrot is a French firm, not a Belgian one.
I've not seen any WWII period photo with the "low" side-car.

Seasons Greetings,

Patrice.

December 25th, 2011, 9:09 am #8

Hi,
Maybe it was Gillet of Belgium, the Germans cleared out motorcycle production from the GR French factory so they could concentrate on aero engine production, and moved the motorcycle production elsewhere for the rest of the war. This Belgium factory then produced GR's directly for the Wehrmacht.

cheers leonard paul
Last edited by spannermann on December 25th, 2011, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 26th, 2011, 2:59 pm #9

Hello Patrice and Leonard,

What I need is information and photos, and a kit, to specifically make the GR as used by the 21 PD in Normandy in June, '44. (And in heavily damaged condition, as well.)If you could help me figure out which sidecar was used and what modifications would have been made by the Saxon "visitors" to Gaul, I would be most appreciative.

From what Patrice and others have written, it seems that the Redux kit would be the best place to start. Then I will try and start tracking down photos.

Please bear with me and my lack of knowledge on these subjects. I am primarily a figure and architectural modeler and am most interested in historical accuracy.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

December 26th, 2011, 3:51 pm #10

Hi Michael,

Redux did a re-box of Heller kit with some improvements ( PE and resin upgrade )
It's currently OOP, but might still be found on eBay

Heller kit is not that bad, but need some work nevertheless

I reworked the moto some time ago

Btw, shouldn't this post be in Allied DG instead ?

http://navy.95.free.fr/?id=1&album=Moto_GnomeRhone

....I am fianlly getting a chance to catch up on this project.

Your build of the GR is superb! Thanks for sending the pictures and the info. I am going to try and find the Redux kit.

Cheers from NYC,
MIchael