Rebuilding An Empire

Arix
Legendary hero
Arix
Legendary hero

6:23 AM - Aug 22, 2011 #1

I nodded in satisfaction as I watched the two dragons who had come with me. It had been a short while since we had landed, and I had trained the two hard. It would be many long years before they reached my level of competance in combat, of course, but in the meantime, they were progressing well, at least well enough to remain on guard duty. I had always believed that dragons - what with our armoured bodies and savage natural weaponry - were natural fighters, and these two were certainly showing it.

"Easy, Ahlian," I said to the silver, who was slightly overenthusiastic. "Don't get reckless. If an enemy were to dodge your attack you would be left off balance and open." Ahlian nodded and stepped back, reassuming his stance. For the time being, I had assigned offensive training to Ahlian, while focusing Junar more on defence. Every week or so, I would switch their roles.

"Spar," I told them. The two nodded and turned to face each other, each assuming their respective stances. They were slightly awkward and clumsy to my trained eye, but then, these two dragons had no aspirations to become proper warriors, nor did I want them to. All that mattered was that they were competant enough to serve as guards.

The spar between the two went back and forth for a short while. Ahlian struck aggressively, while Junar shielded and defended himself from the onslaught.
"Step back!" I called to the defensive fighter. "Not getting hit at all is better than minimising damage!"
I smiled as I saw Junar take my advice. Even though they were not, and did not want to be, warriors, they each took this training as seriously as I did.
"Use your claws, Ahlian!" I noticed the aggressive fighter tended to rely more on his tail and shoulders to attack. "Remember, we have a wide array of weapons available. Use them all!" I noticed Ahlian growing tired, and from the look on his face, Junar did too. He stepped back and forth, dodging away from his opponent's attacks. As Ahlian grew sluggish, Junar dropped his defensive stance and rammed into his opponent's chest. With a grunt, the silver dragon fell, defeated.

I padded up to the pair. "Congratulations, Junar. See? Defensive strategies can work." I chuckled a little, and Junar smiled awkwardly - he had been skeptical when I had told him to fight defensively. I then turned to the fallen dragon, offering him a shoulder to help him stand. "You were defeated because of your over-reliance on a few key attacks," I told him. "Powerful though they are, shoulder barges and tail swings take a lot more effort and will tire you out quicker. Against a defensive enemy, swifter, weaker attacks may prove more effective."

I looked up at the sky, seeing the sun had almost reached its zenith. "Take a quick rest," I told the two, "and then continue when you have your strength back. I'm going to scout."
"Yes, warrior." The two dragons wandered back into the cave to rest, feed and drink, as I prepared to head out yet again to find allies for the Rathi to help rebuild our empire.

yotengoungato
Community member
yotengoungato
Community member

6:48 AM - Aug 22, 2011 #2

Birds tweeted to each other happily across the breeze as I crept from behind a boulder, breathing in deeply. The only scents I could smell were those that were supposed to be there; lizards and snakes slithering in the grass, the sweet scent of wildflowers, and the tang of sparse trees. I surveyed the mostly empty landscape in front of me. I was slightly thirsty, but had no reservations that I would be able to locate water when I had to, or summon a squirrel to do it for me.

I loped slowly up the mountain, grasping my staff. Why hurry when there was so much to be seen? There had been a lizard sunbathing on my rock; I heard the keening cry of a hawk far above. The whole world was alive.

I heard it before I smelt it. The cheerful twitter of the birds fell silent as one of them gave a single, piercing screech that I knew to be an alarm call. Thinking that a hawk had attempted to catch one, I continued without stopping. Suddenly a scent reached my nostrils that I knew only from a previous, brief encounter that had taught me to be very afraid, as this was one being that could evade my poisons and nature-magic.

I had smelled a dragon.

I quickly backtracked to my rock and crouched beneath it, holding my staff in preparation as the smell grew ever stronger.
I am the voice of the wild. I am the fury of mother nature. You cannot run. You cannot hide. I am Itzamni.

Shang Li
Newcomer
Shang Li
Newcomer

12:10 AM - Aug 30, 2011 #3

It was extremely rare that you could find a member of the Shang Li in eastern Nigere, so far from the lands they usually occupied. Yet as the clan slowly became less picky about who they did business with the clan's area of operation was steadily expanding. Had Lao been a few generations older he would likely have never even been sent as far as Nidare yet in this day and age he found himself attempting to make his way through the Pessesus Mountains towards Arhen after a mission in Snada.

Lao had been hunting when he heard the sounds of battle. A large bird that had been perched up on the face of a cliff was to be his meal for the day when the noise became audible spooking the animal as Lao had been notching one of his arrows.

Cursing under his breath he moved swiftly towards the sounds stopping in his tracks and immediately hiding once the source came into view. Dragons?! Lao couldn't believe it. Sure he'd heard tales. The kind elders told to entertain young kids or the kind bards told at tavern to keep the patrons happy and spending but he never thought any actually existed.

Lao stayed hidden, more thankful for his stealthy training than ever before as he watched the dragons continue their training. Out of habit he reached towards his long sword incase he was discovered and attacked though he doubted it would do any good. The Shang Li were trained to kill men or men like creatures such as elves or dwarves, and if there was any truth at all to the stories Lao had heard, dragons were on a whole different level in terms of power. Even a one on one fight with one of them would likely be suicide.

Lao didn't move until the dragons entered the cave. He decided that it was probably best if he hunt else where.

Arix
Legendary hero
Arix
Legendary hero

11:41 AM - Sep 09, 2011 #4

I sniffed at the air and caught a strange scent. It was somewhat familiar - vaguely feline, but with a hint of something I couldn't entirely place.I followed the scent, mostly out of curiosity more than anything else. I might find something - someone - to recruit to our cause. And I didn't sense that there were very many of them, barely more than one, so I would be able to deal with them if they were hostile.

I pushed through the trees, keeping as low as I could and tucking my wings tight against my body to avoid detection. Every so often I sniffed again, making sure I was on the right course. The scent continued to get stronger as I followed it.

I lifted my head, and saw the creature. It was a lion - sort of. It had the shape of a lion, but stood on two feet, wore clothing and carried tools. As though some wizard had somehow merged a lion with a human.

It turned its head, and its eyes gazed into mine.

yotengoungato
Community member
yotengoungato
Community member

3:44 AM - Sep 13, 2011 #5

I turned my head, and for the second time in my life my eyes gazed on a dragon. This one was fairly large, about twice my size. It had blood-red scales and its eyes glared fiercely into mine.
I leaped onto the rock and raised my staff.
"Do not move, dragon" I hissed. I would take no chances with this one.
I am the voice of the wild. I am the fury of mother nature. You cannot run. You cannot hide. I am Itzamni.

Arix
Legendary hero
Arix
Legendary hero

12:22 PM - Sep 20, 2011 #6

I kept my eyes locked on the new creature even as it raised its weapon.
"I will not make the first move," I growled, raising my tail and snapping open the blade. "I do not wish to harm you, but I will give you fair warning. I am Arix Ordragc, brother of Lord Rathi Ahgjan and last of dragonkind's great warriors. Make a move to harm me, and I will kill you."

yotengoungato
Community member
yotengoungato
Community member

1:16 AM - Sep 21, 2011 #7

I glared at this creature who called himself Arix
"I am Itzamni Raddhi, leonine. Why do you trouble these lands with your presence?"
I hoped not to anger it, but I would have nothing to do with a dragon.

Arix
Legendary hero
Arix
Legendary hero

2:42 AM - Sep 23, 2011 #8

I growled and flared my wings, an instinctive attempt to make myself seem more threatening - though I didn't feel the need against this small creature.
"I'll have you know that I am on an important mission from my Rathi. If you are wise, Itzamni, you will at the very least not impede my progress."

Ahgjan
Known nation-wide
Ahgjan
Known nation-wide

12:16 AM - Sep 26, 2011 #9

KORE:

I was beginning to question what state of mind I had been in to have agreed to help with this venture. It seemed Ahgjan completely underestimated my abilities as if I were some newly hatched nestling. First giving someone else credit for the breaking of the barrier, and now implying there was a possibility that I wouldn't know rather basic runes? And then as I prepared to defend myself, he silenced me with a threat? What little enthusiasm for the Lord Rathi's leadership I had was quickly beginning to diminish. As he motioned for us to follow him after his speech I offered a ride to Yr'sha and reluctantly followed.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I knew the spot well enough from my many visits, though it was well hidden by overgrowth and a few fallen trees. I had, however, made an opening by the time Hurthad, Kore, and Yr'sha had landed in the small clearing nearby. Sliding in ahead I pressed my paw against a stone on the wall and uttered the command to form channels of light along the walls and ceiling.

The cavern was large and ran deep, a good clean slate to work with. In fact, some of the tunnel's wall was slate. As soon as the others had gathered, I began laying out the plans for the new city. A rune to disguise the opening, guard barracks, a grand central hall for council and announcements, and off of this a network of tunnels leading to dwellings for all. Above the hall would be access to other levels and at the top, more barracks, dwellings and meeting areas for the elders and the royal family and its entourage.

Sitting back, I looked to Hurthad and nodded to him. "You will have all the help I can give you, does it seem like a doable project?" he nodded in reply and spoke, "I am sure we will have a grand city soon enough, sire. Proud to be of service!"
Last edited by Ahgjan on 12:16 AM - Sep 26, 2011, edited 1 time in total.

yotengoungato
Community member
yotengoungato
Community member

4:51 AM - Sep 26, 2011 #10

The dragon's words were enough to pique my curiosity. I had never known a Rathi.
"And what would this mission be, Drake?"