Ahgjan
Known nation-wide
Ahgjan
Known nation-wide

10:06 PM - Dec 21, 2011 #21

"Ah!" I exclaimed, "Skills we can greatly use. I would like to see perimeter traps set of a non-lethal kind to help protect the secret of our presence from unwanted eyes for a while longer, If you are willing to see that effective traps are set in the woods around this mountain we will be in your debt master Itzamni. And any game traps in the area would be helpful as well, and allow our workers to see to other tasks instead of constant hunts." I looked back to Arix, "See that he has any assistance he needs."

Ahgjan
Known nation-wide
Ahgjan
Known nation-wide

9:43 PM - Apr 02, 2012 #22

(oh...kay so I vanished for a while, now that I think I'm back, lets try to revive this shall we?)

I nodded to the Leonine. "A trapsetter and poisoner we can use. In knowing poisons I hope you also know of healing spells and remedies as well? That would be most useful." I then turned to Arix, and looked at them both, "we can use a perimeter of traps around this mountain, it will make guarding our secret much easier as we are still few in numbers. I will leave those plans to you both. Itzamni, you may make your home anywhere upon or within this mountain or nearby." And with that I saw the two of them off and returned to the shade to relax a while before giving my assistance in the cave digging far below.

Tasathen
Newcomer
Tasathen
Newcomer

6:40 AM - Apr 11, 2012 #23

I flew near the mountains toward the old city figuring that was where Siena probably went. I was worried out of my mind, anxious for them. Different thoughts, each one worse than the rest, kept on flitting through my mind. Where are they? What are they doing? Are they alright?

After I'd flown for a few hours straight though, I needed to stop, to rest, to gather my strength. I tried my best to put my worried thoughts to the back of my head, telling myself that they could take care of myself and that I was blowing it out of proportion. But that niggling thought that they could have been hurt, killed or even worse, captured, wouldn't go away. I figured that by stopping for a while I could reason myself out of the disarray that was my thoughts.

However, just as I was about to land, I saw something strange, something I didn't expect. In the distance, I could see construction. Or at least it looked like construction. And even stranger, dragons, more than a couple at that. I closed in, flying fast, but still ready to fly out at any sign that this may be an illusion.
The path of the righteous dragon is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost whelps. And I will strike down upon thee with great fire and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my people. And you will know I am the Raheir when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

T@rget
Known nation-wide
T@rget
Known nation-wide

11:13 PM - Apr 28, 2012 #24

I grumble a lot as I help unload the weapon. I could not take off because they need me to haul the stuff back. The first day is boring, with nothing to do but wait till the scouting party gets back with the location.

“I once saw a way to hunt kite lizards. A group surrounds one and marks it with a banner that has barbs. You can track it whenever it flies.”
“That is stupid. We shoot it with this and it dies.”
What happens if I cut the red one?

T@rget
Known nation-wide
T@rget
Known nation-wide

2:15 AM - Apr 30, 2012 #25

We had to dismantle the weapon to get it to fit in my weapon. It looks like a huge bow but it would take a giant pull the weapon. I don’t understand it so I take my whip and make sure I have my pointer stone and leave. The gripe at me for leaving and not helping them to put it together but I point out that I AM NOT a soldier, more to the point I don’t know how it goes together. The five men aren’t convinced by my argument but I don’t care. I am still stinging about serving four years in the colonies and then finding out that I am not a real soldier.

I tap the stone to make it spin then point. Then I practice my whip. It does nothing but what a whip would do. I don’t know what I expected it to do but with all the marking I thought it would at least do something.

Since I did not bring any food I have to head back at twilight. Everyone eyes me with resentment but I still can’t muster any pity or concern. Tomorrow two soldiers will root out the kite lizards’ nest. But tonight we bed down by a guttering fire. When we decide that we want to get some sleep I bank the fire.

The next day the two scouts leave and that leave us nothing to do but wait. It is so boring waiting that I leave the clearing where we set up camp to practice my normal whip. The days drag and since we only packed on week of food for the six of us I start foraging. The picking is pretty lean but I do manage some acorns and mushrooms.

On the evening of the fifth day I am out again with my whip when I hear a blood curdling scream. I run to the source. Two men are off to the side stunned. The third is splayed out on the ground. My horse, Alpon, is on his side. His right for leg is sticking out at a sickening angle. He is trying to get up. I run over to hold him down.

“Hey you, yes you idiot get over here.” I shout.
The two that are conscious are too stunned to notice my insult. I call them over again and finally the come over. I make sure that they know to keep Alpon on his side. I run over to get my knife. I wish I had an axe, which would be quicker. I kneel down at Alpon’s neck and ready my knife.

In a nervous voice the youngest, just a year younger then I am, asks, “What are you going to do?”
I want to you at him for being so stupid. Instead I keep my contempt for that city boy from spilling out.
“Alpon’s leg is broken. If we were in a city with a good veterinarian then I could send for him but out here I got nothing but this mercy.” I say as I hold up the knife. “Even if we were in a city that break…? He would never pull a cart again but he might be able to be a stud. Now hold him down. He’s in enough pain I do not want him getting up and grinding that leg.”

I whisper to Alpon ‘I’m sorry.’ I slit his neck and he starts to bleed. Then I try to get the blade into his spine. I slip it in between the bones. He can’t move any more.
The kid stammers out, “Sorry, we didn’t mean for this to happen. It was just an acc…”

That’s it I can’t stand it. I haul off and belt the kid across the mouth. His teeth tear open my knuckles. The second soldier pulls his sword and tells me to back off. The one in charge, the one that was riding my horse, is coming around. The one with the sword is torn between hold me off and helping his commander. The groans are what decide it. He goes over to help his commander.

I didn’t learn their names and now I am glad I haven’t bothered.
“Peater, are you alright.” He gets nothing but groans.

I can’t stand being around these stupid city boys. I grab the rest of the rations and storm off. If they want to eat then the can figure out how to cook my horse. This gets me even angrier but I get some solace from the fact that probably none of them knows how to butcher an animal. I even hope that they puke as they do it.

After I eat the ration down to just one meal for each man I come back to camp. I say noting to those idiots. They have nothing to say to me. I go over to Alpon and see that just as I thought no one there has ever killed an animal for food. The have always just bought cuts of meat. All they did is just cut chunks out as they need it. With disdain I set about to show them how to do it right.

After two days Peater is still suffering head aches and he’s groggy. But concern for him wanes because at noon the two scouts come stumbling in to camp.

“Help! Oh help!”

The distress in his voice is clear. As we get there we notice that one is supporting the other. He collapses. The other is in pain and after a quick look over I find out why. He left leg is swelling taunt against his pant leg. I did not bring my knife.

“Run and get a knife.” I said but the one I told just stared for a minute then took off.
“I think that he got bit by a snake.”

I got the knife and am just barely able to get in under the fabric. The leg is black and swollen. Seconds later he lost consciousness. It is at this time I notice the trail of blood. The one that called for help left it. I cut open his pants to find out a festering gash on both of his legs.

I pull the two that were with me in came aside and tell them, “I am sorry but your friend is with the bite is going to die.”
“No, we have to get him out of here.”

“Even if you had not killed my horse there is no way we could get to civilization fast enough to help. Now look at your other friend, those cuts are day old. They’re festering and look you can see the blood poisoning starting. With Peater taking the hit to the head, he is in no condition to move or be moved. I think the best thing to do is search around for root or herbs or something.”

“But we just go to the healer.”
“I know, you two just stay here and help out as best as you can. I will look around.”
To tell the truth I don’t know anything about herbs but that is the only thing I can think of.

No one wanted to leave to chop or find wood so we had to burn that giant bow for warmth.
Last edited by T@rget on 2:20 AM - Apr 30, 2012, edited 1 time in total.

T@rget
Known nation-wide
T@rget
Known nation-wide

7:10 AM - May 31, 2012 #26

It happened in the middle of the night. Wolves on the trail of the blood snuck in the camp. This far out in the forest, animals don’t have the same fear of humans as those that live closer to cities. No one was up to keeping watch and that is why they got in.

A scream woke me up.
“Huhwha?” I mumbled as I came awake. “What’s happening?”
The person screaming is moving away. This made no sense to my sleep muddled brain. Why is he screaming for help and is walking away? Then I realize that he is not walking but being dragged. If fact he is the one with the bloody, festering, wounds. I get up and grab the thing closest to me, my whip. It is hard to see because there is a new moon and the giants bow is coals.

With a crack I yell something inarticulate. Now I realize that I am one of the last to wake up. The others are fighting the pack of wolves off. The pack focused on keeping us from saving our pack member. The wolf that is dragging him is twice as large as the others. Then a second went for the killing blow. He stopped screaming. Blood splashed the ground. With the prey stopped struggling the enormous wolf disappeared in to the night. The one that delivered the fatal bite let off a piercing howl. Every wolf broke off and melted into the shadows.

In the dark someone, I can’t tell who, says in a loud hysterical voice, “The just killed him. They took Duniel, he… he’s just gone.”
“What are we going to do?”
“Quiet! Shut up!” The one in charge, Peater, yells. “Everyone go get your swords. We will have to watch through the night. Tim you seem to be the healthiest, pick someone to go with you, go and get some wood. We need to get those coals in to a large fire.”

I took Alfryd. Even though he is shook up he is the best choice. He and I gather the bits of wood on the ground. This is not enough so we grab branches that we can break off. Back the camp we build up the fire as high as we can.

T@rget
Known nation-wide
T@rget
Known nation-wide

7:43 AM - Jun 19, 2012 #27

Morning came with a light of meal of horse and with a shock that was no surprise. Even though I knew he wasn’t long for this world with that snake bite, it is still a shock when someone dies. We have no shovels, so we had dig the hole with our hands or any other thing handy. His friends say a few words.

Since no one want to be the first to admit that we need to leave because not everyone is in shape to leave; we go out with the swords and collect wood. One soldier is in the ground, one is in wolves’ bellies and Peater can’t hold down any food let alone water. That just leaves me with two soldiers, well more boys then soldiers, and one other one that is getting weaker with every passing hour.

When we get back from collecting wood for the fire Peater has passed out. I don’t know if it is from the hit on the head he took or dehydration. Maybe it's both but it realy doesn’t matter what the cause is. We try to rouse him but nothing we do gets a response. His breathing is shallow and his skin is ashen. In a matter of hours after day break Peater is dead. This completely demoralizes my companions. Even though I never met the man before I went on this cursed expedition, I have to say that his death affected me.

All I could think of is leaving and getting home to see my parents. But as I am the oldest by at least five years I have to take charge. I get the boys moving. Digging a grave or packing up anything we need, just anything to keep their minds occupied.

After we say word over Peater I say, “Now we have to leave.”