Willie Roaf and the 1993 Draft

Willie Roaf and the 1993 Draft

August 5th, 2012, 4:36 am #1

Oh, those wonderful 90's that we recall around here with such fondness. The playoff team of 1990 had completely vaporized after two years. Sam Wyche was gone. The whole team was a colossal train wreck. And if one unit could possibly stand out for being particularly inept, it was the most certainly the offensive line.

In the annals of Bungles history, never was there such a no-brainer of a draft choice available as in 1993. Willie Roaf was a big left tackle from LSU who would make a perfect cornerstone for a rebuilding team. The Bungs had invested a high draft pick the year before in David Klinger, and the young run-and-shoot quarterback was desperately in need of support. Klingler had this fatal tendency of holding on to the ball too long, and playing behind a sieve of a line was a recipe for disaster.

Roaf was slated to be right there when the Bungs drafted at five. And indeed he was, as Drew Bledsoe, Rick Meier, Garrison Hearst, and Marvin Jones fell off the board. It should have been like shooting fish in a barrel for Coach Dave Shula. In a situation like that, you run to the podium with your draft card. Jesus, even I could have made the draft selection, just going from what was in the paper.

So who did the Bungs take? Good ol' defensive end John Copeland!

And Roaf no doubt felt like he'd won the lottery.

It's worth recalling today, because, as you surely know, Willie Roaf was only hours ago inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame.

http://www.cantonrep.com/sports/hall_of ... illie-Roaf

I can't even recall what Copeland did. Poor sap.

August 5th, 2012, 1:11 pm #2

You can play this game all day long with every single team.
The draft is gamble and most teams fail in the long run.

As for Klinger...there is no excuse.
Bad pick.
Bad player.
Bad team.
That was the match the ignited the 20 year burn.

http://murf-seriously.blogspot.com/

August 5th, 2012, 1:58 pm #3

Yeah it's just a gamble..what nonsense. You know what increases your odds in this completely random draft process? Competence..Front office competence. Employing the right people. Hard work. A little passion wouldn't hurt either. I feel fairly confident to claim the MikeHole had/has none of these.

At the time it was wait and see how it pans out. Just like the Big Daddy pick over Marshall Faulk the next year. Well guess what? Roaf and Faulk are in the HoF and the Bengals were the laughingstock of the 90's which they still haven't fully recovered from.

I see what your saying. Hindsight, monday morning qb, blah blah. Your right in a sense that people just sit back and pick him apart after the fact. The joys of being a jaded fan. But a lot of us knew then what we know now and that can be frustrating. Afterall, we're just dumb fans. This man's record is what speaks loudest and it's putrid. Over two decades now. Year after year just constant failure.

The Faulk pick is what bothers me because I was so irate at the time. I don't recall the 1993 draft that well. Psycho was obviously bothered by the Roaf pick then. Seeing him inducted today is yet another reminder how much Mike Brown sucks.

August 5th, 2012, 6:34 pm #4

I have had a few moments in time watching the draft where I have screamed at the tv...lol

#1 Klinger pick...
#2 Big Daddy ...wanted Faulk
#3 Akili Smith
# Andre Smith

The draft has been pretty solid since Marvin and Duke have arrived

http://murf-seriously.blogspot.com/

August 5th, 2012, 8:47 pm #5

I was also bothered when the Bungs selected Kijana Carter over Tony Bosseli in '95. What good was a running back if nobody could block for him? It was as if Mike Brown had decided to never again have a good O-line, all the better to honor of Anthony Munoz. Just like he was making his dad look better by engineering a string of turd teams.

Murf, I realize that all teams make their drafting mistakes, but when you get cute and pass over the obvious guy, that deserves special contempt.

Big Daddy was the consensus No. 1 that year, but like Bo, I wasn't sold on him. In that era, the Bungs absolutely needed to stay away from guys with work-ethic issues. They were the one team in the league who couldn't light a fire under a guy. So they took him anyway, and the Big Duddy monicker was born.

Andre Smith looks like he's getting his act together. Imagine, taking a OT high in the draft! Now the Bungs seem to have a culture that gets these guys to buckle down and grow up.

August 5th, 2012, 9:36 pm #6

I know you dont like him, Murf, but it looks like you are wrong on ManBoobs Smith.
He was a legitimate starter last year and did well on the right side.

"Insert witty quotation here"

August 6th, 2012, 1:02 am #7

The most impressive thing about ManBoobs: He only allowed 3 sacks last year.
Yes that was partly due to offensive system, short, quick passes and all, but it's still impressive for a guy known primarily as a run blocker.

As for the draft being a crapshoot? No way. Maybe one year, yeah, but 20 years is a big enough sample size that there is more than dumb luck involved.
The most frustrating draft day for me, being a bit younger, was passing on S Jax because we "only needed a 3rd down back." Dumbest draft logic ever! Who wants an all-around great back, when we can instead have a one trick pony and a 4th rd pick? Lol. Christina Perry = worst pick in recent memory if only because EVERYONE knew SJax was the better back and he fell right to us.

Sort of reminds me of the Zeitler pick this year. Who needs a great all-around guard, when you can get a good run blocker w a history of injuries? Lol. Still can't believe everyone seems to think that was a good pick, but we'll see.

I've always felt the key to good drafting is to take the best player available in almost all cases. Throw need out the window, that's what FA is for.

"We do do, and we do it at a very, very high level," Lewis said.

August 6th, 2012, 1:21 am #8

Sort of reminds me of the Zeitler pick this year. Who needs a great all-around guard, when you can get a good run blocker w a history of injuries? Lol. Still can't believe everyone seems to think that was a good pick, but we'll see.

I don't know about "everybody." All of the sheep, maybe, and every draft guy trying to justify the Bungs for their now annual "A" grade, but no matter how you want to justify it, it was a bad pick considering what they traded down away from.

August 6th, 2012, 1:57 am #9

Here we go again with the Zeitler pick, LOL. We've been through the litany of analysts already who either like the pick (e.g. Mike Mayock) or actually like Zeitler better than DeCastro (e.g. Greg Cosell).

Back in '93, if the Bungs had passed on Roaf for another left tackle -- one that some analysts liked even better -- I would have been okay with it. If Roaf turns out to be a HOF'er and the other guy a journeyman, well then, look at who they played for.

Elite left tackles were and still are very much hard to find. Guards, not so much. Anyway, I think that even the hard-core cynics on this forum would like Zeitler if DeCastro wasn't in the picture. Look at the book on Zeitler. The guy's a beast.

August 6th, 2012, 2:06 am #10

"Roaf and Faulk are in the HoF and the Bengals were the laughingstock of the 90's which they still haven't fully recovered from."

I don't think you guys get it. Or at least some of you. The others I think probably deny it. However, it is the teams' overall attitude towards it's product on the field that produce the loser results that you get.

Not even Faulk or Roaf would help you in their primes. Not with Mikey at the helm. JMHO.

I've heard a couple of times what it's like in the lockerroom in Cincinnati from former players. I got it straight from the horse's mouth. They tell of tales of cheapness and division. No team unity. And that's the way it's been for the last 23 years.

Don't kid yourselves either. Mikey hasn't changed nor is he going to. That's why I posted a while back that the Bungles will never win a playoff game under his rule.

Just go like another team.....

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

Confirmation of reply: