Who's this, and what have they done with Peter King!?

September 3rd, 2018, 10:26 pm #1

As Bengals fans we've seen it all, but this one is nearly incomprehensible. The post-MMQB Peter King, newly of NBC Sports, is just bursting with love for Mike Brown's team. Get a load of this, from his Football Morning in America column, September 3, 2018 (link):
• Pittsburgh … The eternal search for a secondary continues, as does the search for an interior boss like Ryan Shazier to lead the defense; when Shazier was lost with his spinal injury, the Steelers responded in their five games by allowing 28 points per game and fizzling out of the playoffs. It’s not impossible to fathom Cincinnati or Baltimore winning this division; both are better on defense than the Steelers.
The AFC playoff Picture
Division winners: New England, Jacksonville, Cincinnati, Los Angeles Chargers.
Wild-card teams: Pittsburgh, Houston.
Seeds: 1. New England, 2. Jacksonville, 3. Chargers, 4. Cincinnati, 5. Pittsburgh, 6. Houston
AFC title game: New England 30, Los Angeles 23.
And...
Coach: Doug Pederson, Philadelphia. The defending Super Bowl champ wouldn’t normally win this, but I’ve got the Eagles surviving the early questions at quarterback to go an NFL-best 13-3.

The contenders: 2. Bill Belichick, New England. 3. Anthony Lynn, Chargers. 4. Marvin Lewis, Cincinnati. 5. Doug Marrone, Jacksonville.
And...
Defensive player: Geno Atkins, defensive tackle, Cincinnati. Surprising win over the two mega-money guys, Aaron Donald and Khalil Mack. But Atkins will get a huge hand from Carlos Dunlap and Andrew Billings on the defensive front. The Bengals will win the division with this front, and Atkins will lead the way.
There you go. A better defense than the Steelers. Predicted winning the AFC North. Marvin Lewis a contender for Coach of the Year. Geno Atkins predicted winning Defensive Player of the Year. The obscure team in Cincinnati landed on his radar four separate times, and in a positive way, too. Seems like the last time we heard from Peter King he was complaining about the Bengals not drafting Lamar Jackson. Now he's using up a decades' worth of favorable observations in a single column. Whoa... I need some time to process.

September 3rd, 2018, 10:35 pm #2

There also was this regarding Doc:
“This isn’t golf. It’s vaudeville. It’s an exhibition hosted by a couple middle-aged players, ruined finery essentially, seeking a means to make a lot of money for doing almost nothing.”

—Paul Daugherty of the Cincinnati Enquirer, the winner-take-all $9-million challenge match, a pay-per-view affair between Tiger Woods and Phil Mickelson on Thanksgiving weekend.

Beautifully said, Paul.
There's that city again. But, egads, golf?

September 3rd, 2018, 11:40 pm #3

I was also shocked by King’s article. So unlike him to hold Cincy in a favourable light. 

September 5th, 2018, 7:14 pm #4

He has Cincinnati making the playoffs? LOL--and I'll bet Philadelphia goes 7-9 this year and misses the playoffs. Most teams that make the SB do not have great year after's. The only team that defies the rule = New England, of course. Why? Team Management rules all.

September 6th, 2018, 10:25 pm #5

I gotta tell you I agree with him in a lot of areas. I think we will be better than the 2015 team was b4 the broken thumb.  Our D will be way better. The DL will be unstoppable. Healthy Gino.& Billings together for 1st time. A real LB partner & run stopper to play with Tez. A young healthy back end with WJ3, Denard, Kirpatrick & Bates/ Now a DC that has a turnover mind set. We are better than the Squeallers at every level of D!   On O I think with our 1/2 decent OL Dalton & AJ will make magic. If Ross & Eifert can stay healthy (I know big iffs) They will help open things up for AJ, Mixon, & Gio. I think we have the most dynamic O since the The Icky Shuffle days. OK Brown, Ben, Bell & OL are better than us but not that much better. A much lesser Bengal team was whipping their ass in PBS in the 1st half til the JuJu hit on Tez & other BS. I think the Squeallers are ripe for the picking. The Who-Deys go 11-5 & win a playoff game! 

Confirmation of reply: