The roster...

The roster...

April 30th, 2012, 2:02 pm #1

QB--Dalton/Gradkowski
After watching this kid play with limited knowledge of a developing playbook a rookie cord., a rookie target and no legit 3rd down weapon, I love what I see.

HB--Ellis/Scott/Leanord/Peerman/Brown/Herron
Gruden wants back by committee and that is the only thing making me accept this as workable.
Have to get Scott and Hawkins mixed into early downs to get match ups.

WR--Green/Shipley/Sanu/Jones/Hazelton/Whalen/Binns/Tate/Hawkins
Tate might be out, but the rest of this roster looks like a huge upgrade from last year.
Shipley's return makes this team and Dalton that much better.

TE--Gresham/Lee/Charles
Very solid for the first time in decades

T--Whitworth/Smith/Rolland/Collins/Odonell
Reports are fat azz is in shape and ready to play for a contract, solid back ups
Whit is one of the best in football.

G--Zietler/Bell/Wharton/Hudson/Boling
Very solid if rookie is as good as they say

C--Cook/Zietler/Bell
Cook is solid, and only has gotten better

DE--Anderson/Dunlap/Harvey/Geathers/Johnson
Find me a better rotation in football.

DT--Peko/Still/Thompson/Simms/Atkins/Hayden
Find me a better rotation in football.

LB--Skuta/Rey/Muckelroy/Moch/Maualuga/Burfict/Howard/Lawson/Evans/Johnson
Howard and Lawson on the outside with Maualuga and Burfict on the inside and the coaches are very high on Moch and Muckelroy.
Maualuga is facing a suspension, but I like what I see here.

CB--Hall/Newman/Clemments/Pacman/Kirkpatrick/Allen/Prater/Ghee
If Hall is healthy they are in great shape, if Hall is not read, I am not that worried with Newman in the mix.

S--Mays/Nelson/Miles/Sands/Lloka
Nelson's return was huge and Mays has unlimited potential, but would like to point out something here.
With the size of today's TE, the Bengals mtach up size very well with these guys.

Tailback is my biggest concern.
Scott is the only threat to hit a homerun.
If they use all the backs and place them in favorable situations, I will not worry but if Marvin wants to go back to his 1980's style of football, then I am worried because nobody on the roster strikes fear into a defense.

I like what I watched last year with Gruden and it should be 10 times better with Shipley on the field and if Sanu or Jones are anything decent, then this offense can be very good.

Defense..Safety still scares me a bit but the front of this defense is pretty fuching solid.
When you are looking at backups that are former top picks at DE and you have a rotation like they do on the line, I will not hesitate to call that rotation the best in the NFL.

So what you will folks but Mikey and Marvin have done an exceptional job the past 3 years putting this roster together.
Now if Marvin can just coach and not get in the way, you might be looking at a very good football team this year.

http://murf-seriously.blogspot.com/

April 30th, 2012, 8:15 pm #2

They had to do something. They were losing season ticket holders, the town was down on them and they were regarded as a joke around the league and by the media. It was $hit or get off the pot time.

May 1st, 2012, 1:43 am #3

I can easily find you a better DE rotation. NY Giants, and that wasn't even hard. Popped right into my head.

If you really think our defensive ends are the best in football you really must be delusional man. Who on that list instills fear in any opposing QB? Dunlap had a solid half a season, wow! Yeah, he must be the greatest of all time, lol.

The talent has been so pathetic here for so long, it's way too easy to satisfy Bungs fans.

"We do do, and we do it at a very, very high level," Lewis said.

May 1st, 2012, 2:01 am #4

Still no #2 WR. Shipley is a question mark - he might even PUP.

Still no homerun threat at RB

I think Geathers deserved a pink slip 3-4 years ago. I do like Johnson/Dunlap/Peko/Atkins.

Rey Rey is still a huge question mark at MLB.

Cornerback is loaded with experience, but lean on young talent that is proven.

"Insert witty quotation here"

May 1st, 2012, 2:49 am #5

Looks like we have two decent shots at a No. 2 WR in Sanu and Jones.
Last edited by psychostats on May 1st, 2012, 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 1st, 2012, 2:53 am #6

"They had to do something. They were losing season ticket holders, the town was down on them and they were regarded as a joke around the league and by the media. It was $hit or get off the pot time."

I've heard this same quote for the past 22 years from some team's hometown. Wonder who that could be?

Murf, you are delusional....but we've already had this argument. Same sh*t same homer, I guess?

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

May 1st, 2012, 12:18 pm #7

I said rotation....

ANDERSON/HARVEY/DUNLAP/JOHNSON/GEATHERS
That is 4 quality ends and Geathers (I agree Geathers might be out this year)

Tailback is my biggest complaint, but it depends on the system.

#2 wide out...
Sanu/Jones/Binns/Hazelton is a better option than they had last year.
Shipley makes that offense that much better and gives the #2 guy more room to operate.
Hawkins if used properly will make the #1 and the #2 that much better.

Coaching!
It all comes down to coaching.
This roster is as good as anyone.
That is not HOMER that is understanding football.

May 1st, 2012, 3:52 pm #8

This roster is as good as anyone.

Or is the third best in its own division. Only a "homer" would put this team on par with Baltimore or Pittsburgh.

May 1st, 2012, 4:08 pm #9

With all of that said, the questions now are:

1. Dalton - year one the offense was very simple for him. I am curious to see if Gruden and Marvin expand the offense some or a lot, or if they still keep it very simple. I like Dalton's potential, but usually QBs take a step back in either year two or year three, even the greats (Peyton had an awful year four, Ben had a miserable year three, Bledsoe took a step back in year three, Ryan and Flacco both had relatively disappointing year threes, guys like Rick Mirer who were studs as rookies took a step back in year two and never recovered). A bad year two or year three does not mean doom (Manning and Ben will both be in the HOF some day, Bledsoe was a top 5 QB from 1995-2000, Ryan and Flacco still have lots of potential), but this is just something to watch.

2. Benjarvis Green-Ellis - I do not like him as the unquestioned feature back, especially for a team that will need to rely on the running game unless of course the coaching staff completely takes the handcuffs off of Andy

3. #2/#3 WR positions. Should be interesting. As bad as rookie WRs were for years suddenly some have performed recently, so Sanu is really the one I'm eyeing/rooting for

4. Andre Smith - actually was serviceable last year...this is time for him to either breakout, be mediocre and be a minor bust like DeBrickisha Ferguson (serviceable but not a star and never will be), Tony Mandrich-like bust (he actually played and started in the NFL for quite a while after Green Bay released him, although he never lived up any where near to the hype) or a flat out bust.

5. Defensive backfield - I cannot see Kirkpatrick starting in year one unless they feel that they are THAT bad off. If he does play a lot, the speedy receivers in the AFC North will have a field day. He is already slow, but without technique he will just flat out be bad. If they coach him up, he has NFL starter potential, but not NFL star potential.

May 1st, 2012, 4:16 pm #10

The Ravens and Steelers both have many many issues on their roster.

You are stuck on the name...the uniforms are the same, but the rosters are not the same as 3-4 years ago.
Some names still might be on there, but you will not find a bigger Troy Polly fan but he is not the same player.

The Bengals are there, they need GOOD COACHING.
If they fail this year, it 100% without question on Marvin.

Confirmation of reply: