The Perpetual Marvin Lewis Hot Seat Roundup

June 1st, 2018, 12:41 am #261

Anyone foolish enough to bet on Marvin Lewis leaving deserves to go broke.

Marvin Lewis, ex-Bengals among odds-on favorites to be first NFL head coach fired
Dave Clark - Cincinnati Enquirer - Published 2:41 p.m. ET May 31, 2018 | Updated 2:42 p.m.

You don't want to see your name on this list.
Odds and prop bets for the 2018 National Football League season are available at many sports betting sites, and four of the five head coaches most likely to be the first fired - according to SportsBettingDime.com - are names familiar to Cincinnati Bengals fans.

Hue Jackson (Browns) 5/1
Dirk Koetter (Buccaneers) 7/1
Vance Joseph (Broncos) 7/1
Marvin Lewis (Bengals) 9/1
Jay Gruden (Washington) 9/1

In early January, Bengals head coach Lewis was re-signed to a two-year deal through the 2019 season despite reports in December that he had decided not to enter contract negotiations to coach the team in 2018.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 660578002/

How can it not be common knowledge at this point? Mike Brown will never fire, leave un-signed, or otherwise part ways with Marvin Lewis. Never, ever, never.

June 1st, 2018, 7:59 pm #262

I don't think that outfit understands the culture in this town that years and years of losing produces.  Mikey is in it to make money and turn a profit and if by the grace of God a winning team drops in his lap he'll take it - he's not going to knock himself out to go get it.

June 1st, 2018, 9:40 pm #263

I know that analysts and sports writers have to write about something...but I think a Cricket Match in Bombey would be more interesting than another "Why Marvin Lewis should be fired" article. I think we have heard every single lameazzed reason why Marv should have been fired for the last 15 years, correct?

HAS SOMETHING NEW THAT WE HAVEN'T HEARD OF BEFORE BEEN SAID? NEW WAY OF FIRING??!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Nah, I didn't think so. Find something new. I mean after all, the US Patent Office was wrong in 1899 when it said "every invention that could be invented has been invented"...or we could just ignore this subject altogether and be semi-shocked when it does happen.

MF'er man.

June 23rd, 2018, 3:14 am #264

Turns out there's another betting site that bizarrely puts Marvin Lewis high on the hot seat list. And Scott Polacek twice gets my goat. (See the continuity thread.) When does Hobson cover this same story while mentioning bell-cows?
NFL Betting Odds: Hue Jackson, Adam Gase Top List of 1st Coach to Be Fired
Scott Polacek - Bleacher Report - June 19, 2018

Las Vegas apparently doesn’t believe in Cleveland Browns head coach Hue Jackson or Miami Dolphins head coach Adam Gase.

As OddsShark shared Tuesday, with the 2018 season approaching, the two coaches topped the opening list of odds for the first NFL head coach to be fired. Not far behind are Cincinnati Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis, who is still looking for his first playoff win in Cincinnati, and Denver Broncos head coach Vance Joseph.

Lewis stands out as one of the veteran names on the list, especially since there was serious discussion this offseason about whether the Bengals would retain him in his current position. The 2018 season will be his 16th at the helm of the team, and while he’s made the playoffs seven times, he has never advanced past the AFC Wild Card Round.

Cincinnati is also a lackluster 13-18-1 the last two seasons, although owner Mike Brown pointed to "continuity" when discussing why he kept Lewis, per Jim Owczarski of the Cincinnati Enquirer.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2781 ... o-be-fired
First BettingDime, now OddsShark. Two sites that don't inspire confidence. But they do provide a little interdenominational BettingContinuity.

By the way, Mike Brown will never part ways with Marvin Lewis. You can bet your sweet bippy on it.

June 30th, 2018, 9:01 pm #265

This entry reminds me of why I maintain this thread. To preserve what's left of my sanity.
The Hottest Hot Seat for Every NFL Team in 2018

Maurice Moton - Bleacher Report  - June 28, 2018

Every year, there's a job to secure. After all, the old adage, "What have you done for me lately?" isn't just a cliche passed around NFL circles. Some players and coaches will feel the heat from their seats before summer practices in August.

Starters feel the pressure to maintain their prominent positions, making it easier to leverage for extensions and lucrative deals on the free-agent market. For others, it's about surviving the offseason for spots on the 53-man rosters. Ultimately, coaches take the blame for disappointing seasons, putting their job security in jeopardy.

It's never comfortable to be on the hot seat, but at times, it provides the motivation needed for a breakthrough.

Each team has at least one player or coach on its hottest seat going into a crucial 2018 season. Who's on the roster bubble? Where could we see new starters? Which coaches approach the year with their jobs on the line? ...

Cincinnati Bengals: HC Marvin Lewis]

7 of 32

In December, it seemed as though head coach Marvin Lewis' tenure with the Cincinnati Bengals would come to an end.

The Bengals won their last two games against the Detroit Lions and Ravens, which saved Lewis' job. Owner Mike Brown told Jim Owczarski of the Cincinnati Enquirer that he saw the victories as a sign of progress:

"I would say that while we had serious reverses and they were unsettling, to put it mildly, we bounced back at the end of the year. We beat two teams that were in playoff runs. We beat them in games that were important for them where they gave their best shot and I was impressed how we rebounded. That played into what was in my mind when I had to make a final call."

Lewis signed a two-year extension in January. However, the pressure to deliver something beyond an AFC North title remains. Despite seven postseason appearances under their head coach, the Bengals haven't won a playoff game. After four double-digit-win campaigns between 2012-15, Cincinnati went 13-18-1 in the last two terms.

After Brown's change of heart, Bengals fans probably think Lewis would survive another disappointing season. However, a third consecutive term as a sub-.500 club would likely put an end to his 16-year tenure.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2782 ... 018#slide7
No it would not. I swear, the scribes must have started life as those little kids who couldn't complete a Connect the Dots game properly. They draw a straight line between the two closest, nevermind that one has a 7 right next to it and the other a 208.

At this point it couldn't it be more obvious. Mike Brown will never part ways with Marvin Lewis. Hell, even Owzarski knows that now, and he was quoted in the piece

July 1st, 2018, 12:23 am #266

""I would say that while we had serious reverses and they were unsettling, to put it mildly, we bounced back at the end of the year. We beat two teams that were in playoff runs. We beat them in games that were important for them where they gave their best shot and I was impressed how we rebounded. That played into what was in my mind when I had to make a final call."

This is a tease that mikey has been using since the Dave Shula days - getting the sheep to think that because we won the last few meanlingless games that they turned the corner.  The ones still here at MBS know that but for some strange reason others outside this thread either haven't bought it or refuse to.

July 15th, 2018, 1:12 am #267

Another blogger who cannot tell the difference between should be on the hot seat with is on the hot seat.
Seven NFL Coaches That Are On The Hot Seat To Start 2018
David Hess - Winners and Whiners - July 2, 2018

In baseball, it's almost time for the All-Star break. But, to me, that means something else. Namely, it says the NFL season is right around the corner. This year is shaping up to be one of the most fun campaigns in recent memory.  There have been plenty of player moves, with good prospects coming via the draft, established veterans changing teams and plenty of new units that will be trying to figure out how to challenge this year. And organizations that fail to meet expectations often feel a change in leadership at the top is needed. Let's take a look at seven head coaches who just might be looking for a new gig after the season is over. And, in some cases, it may be even earlier than that.

Marvin Lewis Is The President Of The Hot Seat Club

The Cincinnati Bengals have made the playoffs in seven of Marvin Lewis’ 15 years at the helm of the team. That's pretty good. But in those seven tries, they have failed to win even once. That's really bad. What's even worse is they've gone just 13-18-1 over their last two seasons. The offense has been one of the worst in the league the previous two years, despite the fact that they have had Andy Dalton at quarterback and A.J. Green at wide receiver. They just can’t get their offense going and it has cost them. Every year it seems Lewis is the President of the Hot Seat Club and every year he somehow survives. But the grumbling in Cincinnati has gotten louder, and this just may be the year. However, keep in mind, Bengals fans, right up until the moment his butt hits the ground, Charlie Brown really believes THIS time Lucy will hold the football. As a side note, if Lewis goes, Dalton will also disappear faster than a bowl of 5-Way Skyline Chili.   

https://winnersandwhiners.com/news/nfl/ ... 018-61639/
Mike Brown will never part ways with Marvin Lewis. You can bet on it.

Confirmation of reply: