The Marvin Lewis Coaching Tree

The Marvin Lewis Coaching Tree

September 18th, 2017, 12:30 am #1

I thought it might be interesting this season to follow the former Bengals assistant coaches who Mike let go who are now out there in the league coaching teams of their own.

We have the following:

Hue Jackson - Browns - 0-2
Mike Zimmer - Vikings - 1-1 (His QB was hurt this week, so that impacted their play against The Stealers)
Jay Gruden - Redskins - 1-1
Vance Joseph - Broncos - 2-0 with an undefeated preseason record as well

Vance Joseph was the DB coach here. In 2015, the Bengals blocked him from going to Denver to be defensive coordinator. A year later, he went to the Dolphins to be defensive coordinator, and this year, he's now head coach of Denver. He may turn out to be the best of the coaching tree.

Looking today, I see some Browns fans are not happy with Hue. Apparently, Hue wants to be offensive coordinator and head coach, and the fans think it is too much for him. They don't want him fired - they just want him to hire an offensive coordinator. Apparently, he keeps promising every week that he'll run the ball more but then doesn't.

http://scout.com/nfl/browns/Board/10532 ... -107585528

Mike Zimmer is the defensive coordinator of the Vikings as well as head coach. He is doing that well, but he generally does that well. Defense is his strong point.

I'll update this thread weekly, and we'll see where we shake out at the end of the year. Any predictions? Mine is that Vance Joseph will have the most success barring injury based on what we are seeing so far.
Last edited by KaBTK on September 18th, 2017, 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 18th, 2017, 1:41 am #2

because he inherited a great defense, an excellent well run franchise that has zillions of playoff games, with a huge home field advantage, etc.

Whereas, for example, Jay Gruden got the Redskins. LOL.
===============================================
1991-2017 the putrid reign of Mikey Brown:
Record in Prime Time: 12 wins, 33 losses (0.267)
Record vs the Steelers: 14 wins, 42 losses (0.250)
Record vs AFC Playoff Teams: 32 wins, 116 losses (0.216)

September 18th, 2017, 1:54 am #3

I thought it might be interesting this season to follow the former Bengals assistant coaches who Mike let go who are now out there in the league coaching teams of their own.

We have the following:

Mike Zimmer - Vikings - 1-1 (His QB was hurt this week, so that impacted their play against The Stealers)

Vance Joseph was the DB coach here. In 2015, the Bengals blocked him from going to Denver to be defensive coordinator. A year later, he went to the Dolphins to be defensive coordinator, and this year, he's now head coach of Denver. He may turn out to be the best of the coaching tree.

Looking today, I see some Browns fans are not happy with Hue. Apparently, Hue wants to be offensive coordinator and head coach, and the fans think it is too much for him. They don't want him fired - they just want him to hire an offensive coordinator. Apparently, he keeps promising every week that he'll run the ball more but then doesn't.

Mike Zimmer is the defensive coordinator of the Vikings as well as head coach. He is doing that well, but he generally does that well. Defense is his strong point.

I'll update this thread weekly, and we'll see where we shake out at the end of the year. Any predictions? Mine is that Vance Joseph will have the most success barring injury based on what we are seeing so far.
There is no such thing as the "Marvin Lewis Coaching Tree"Gruden was the only one that Lewis brought into the league,the rest were already established assistant coaches in the league long before Slobkbob Hobson declared these guys as disciples of Marvin.Just another poor attempt by Hobson to stick his nose up the clowns a$$.

September 18th, 2017, 1:58 am #4

We have the following:

I swear to God,Hobson is to the clown what Josef Goebels was to Adolf Hitler

September 18th, 2017, 2:41 am #5

We have the following:

I always thought that a coach had to either (1) start out as a very young assistant or (2) coach under a guy for a very long time before he was on the "tree". Zampese is on Marvin's tree. Darrin Simmons is on Marvin's tree. Paul Guenther is on Marvin's tree.

Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden, and Vance Joseph all had a cup of coffee with Marvin.

Hue Jackson... iffy. I'd say no because he had so many other stops along the way.

Now that I think of it, a coach on the tree has to at least look at Marvin as his primary influence. What departed coach would say that?

In any case, though...

It will still be interesting to track the fates of Marvin's former assistants. Go for it, Katie.

September 25th, 2017, 11:04 pm #6

We have the following:

Hue Jackson - Browns - 0-3
Mike Zimmer - Vikings - 2-1
Jay Gruden - Redskins - 2-1
Vance Joseph - Broncos - 2-1

Marvin Lewis - Bengals - 0-3

So another week has gone by. Marvin and Hue are both 0-3, and the other three coaches currently all have winning records.

September 26th, 2017, 1:35 am #7

We have the following:

Hugh Jackson has a legitimate excuse,Giggles needs to start a new coaching tree in the Arena League

October 4th, 2017, 3:20 am #8

We have the following:

Awaiting your update, Katie.

October 24th, 2017, 3:33 am #9

We have the following:

Update:

Hue Jackson - Browns - 0-7
Marvin Lewis - Bengals - 2-4
Jay Gruden - Redskins - 3-3
Vance Joseph - Broncos - 3-3
Mike Zimmer - Vikings - 5-2

Well, it looks like Mike Zimmer (my pick for head coach) is currently in first.

October 24th, 2017, 4:43 am #10

We have the following:

If Vance Joseph is responsible for the decision to stick with Siemian, then he's not gonna be a HC long. Denver doesn't put up with losing.

Zimmer clearly was always the class of the bunch, one of the very few Bengals assistants who came from outside the organization and had a reasonable track record in the NFL before coming to Cincy.
===============================================
1991-2017 the putrid reign of Mikey Brown:
Record in Prime Time: 12 wins, 33 losses (0.267)
Record vs the Steelers: 14 wins, 42 losses (0.250)
Record vs AFC Playoff Teams: 32 wins, 116 losses (0.216)

Confirmation of reply: