The Book on Ken Zampese

The Book on Ken Zampese

September 11th, 2017, 1:14 am #1

Whatever the book is, the Ravens have read it, memorized it, digested its contents, and are able to recite the plays backwards and forwards in their sleep. The Week 1 announcers marvelled at how the Baltimore defenders seemed to always know what was coming.

Last year I made this chart, and I'm posting it again as it supports the notion that Zampese is imminently predictable. You may recall the one showing how Andy Dalton's QB rating changes over quarters across the course of his career.

We see that 2016 is the only season where Dalton's rating steadily declined as the game progressed. That was when Zampese took over the duties as OC. This pattern suggests that the defenses were figuring out what was going on. You can't blame it on talent as the players were the same throughout the game.

We'll have to track this throughout the season and look for other suggestions of predictability.

September 11th, 2017, 1:30 am #2

Remember when I said there is a reason Zampese was passed over for years?

September 11th, 2017, 2:23 am #3

Whatever the book is, the Ravens have read it, memorized it, digested its contents, and are able to recite the plays backwards and forwards in their sleep. The Week 1 announcers marvelled at how the Baltimore defenders seemed to always know what was coming.

Last year I made this chart, and I'm posting it again as it supports the notion that Zampese is imminently predictable. You may recall the one showing how Andy Dalton's QB rating changes over quarters across the course of his career.

We see that 2016 is the only season where Dalton's rating steadily declined as the game progressed. That was when Zampese took over the duties as OC. This pattern suggests that the defenses were figuring out what was going on. You can't blame it on talent as the players were the same throughout the game.

We'll have to track this throughout the season and look for other suggestions of predictability.
Yes, I do, but we didn't specifically hear about anything negative, and sometimes a coach gets lost among the competition. I was trying to be hopeful. As our sample size gets larger things continue to look worse. I'll give you that.

As we are all well aware, Mike Brown doesn't like to fire coaches on offense. So we're probably stuck with Zampese for eternity, no matter what.

September 11th, 2017, 3:55 am #4

Remember how long we were stuck with Bob Drunkowski? Yeah.

September 16th, 2017, 5:44 am #5

That was a mighty short eternity, I'll tell you what.

The book is now closed. The last page is written. The Bungs turn the page.

September 16th, 2017, 1:16 pm #6

Actually the negatives were staring us in the face, Palmer and Dalton both regressed under his role as QB coach , not sure how promoting him made any sense

However in fairness to him and his short stint as OC he was probably set up to fail, he was likely handed a playbook and a gameplan and told to go out and coordinate , he is just the sacrificial lamb

September 16th, 2017, 1:16 pm #7

Actually the negatives were staring us in the face, Palmer and Dalton both regressed under his role as QB coach , not sure how promoting him made any sense

However in fairness to him and his short stint as OC he was probably set up to fail, he was likely handed a playbook and a gameplan and told to go out and coordinate , he is just the sacrificial lamb

September 16th, 2017, 6:58 pm #8

Yeah, I can't help but think that the right head coach could have alleviated Zampese's problems. When the coordinator is stuck between a rock and a hard place, it's up to his boss to set some priorities. As in, "Focus on X, not Y. I'll talk to the players so they understand. Y won't work with our current personnel."

Ross and Mixon can't help this offense much with that offensive line in place. Not when you try to employ the same philosophy that worked with a much better line.

September 18th, 2017, 1:05 am #9

Have any of you heard who all the so-called mutineers were? I've only heard AJ Green. But I did notice during the game Brandon LaFell was quite animated and appeared angry. Ken Zampese = David Shula part Deux.

September 18th, 2017, 2:27 am #10

JB, when I read that I assumed it was hyperbole. If it were real we should have heard more. That was from a single source, right?

Confirmation of reply: