Welcome to this 'special' club Andy, best of luck to you...
Erik Wilhelm (1991) irrelevant
Donald Hollas (1991) irrelevant
* David Klingler (1992-1994) one of the biggest busts in NFL/Bungle history!*
Jay Schroeder (1993) irrelevant & awful
* Jeff Blake (1994-1999) 66 starts, 25-41 as a starter (high of 8 wins), 1 of only 2 QB under MB to have a Pro Bowl appearance.*
* Boomer Esiason (1997) 1 season towards end of career, replaced Jeff Blake midway through the 1997 season, throwing for 13 touchdowns and with only 2 interceptions, passer rating of over 106. The Bengals were 3-8 with Blake under center. With Esiason at quarterback they won four of their last five games and scored over 30 points four times & twice breaking 40 points. Mike Brown makes a typical blunder, however...rather than see what he could do in '98 after the fantastic finish, he pushes Esiason towards retirement to the MNF Booth, even though Boomer had expressed some interest in returning to playing field one more time.*
* Neil O'Donnell (1998) 2-9 record as a starter BUT statistically finishes a w/ a career-best 15 TD, 4 INT & 90 passer rating in 1 year under MB. Mike in a way makes it back-to-back blunders in not re-signing O'Donnell, who promptly takes his talents to TEN and helps in leading them to the Super Bowl in 1999 vs. Rams.
Paul Justin (1998) irrelevant & awful
* Akili Smith (1999-2002) another one of the biggest busts in NFL/Bungle history!*
Scott Mitchell (2000) irrelevant & awful
* Jon Kitna (2001-2004) 46 starts, 59 TD - 59 INT, 18-28 as a starter*
* Carson Palmer (2004-2010) 97 starts, best record (46-51) & stats (career 86.9 QBRAT) as QB for CIN under MB, also has bragging rights to the ONLY 2 winning seasons under Mike's ownership.*
Ryan Fitzpatrick (2008) irrelevant & awful
& unless #9 shows up at CVG late Thursday night...
Andy Dalton (2011) - ??????????????????????
14 different starting QB's in 20 seasons...hooray Mike...
I remember going round and round with people about O'Donell.
I thought he was a very effective qb at the time but the ignorant Bengal fans still talked about his 2 picks in the Superbowl.
2 picks that were not his fault and he had the class to not toss the rookie under the bus after the game.
He was never going to be anything other than a safe and control type fo player, but at the time, he was the best option they had.
I was playing in a tourney during the Bengals draft and we got lucky and had about a 4 hour hold over before our next game, so we ran up the street to a bar to watch the draft, crowded bar, having a good time, then you hear Bengals select..David Klingler...
I yelled these exact words "you stupid mother F!@#$%#, what are you thinking"..
I had some d-bag tell me that he was going to shatter this record and that record, and I looked right at him, and told him that the guy would never amount to anything but a 3rd string qb at best.
Another wonderful moment in time:
Sitting at a BW3 watching the draft and I hear the words Akili Smith...
Again, I made it very clear how fuching stupid they were.
Funny story about the most embarrassing qb to ever wear Bengal gear:
I was standing on the sidelines during the first season of PBS.
Smith throws a pick vs Baltimore and walks over to the bench and Dillon looks at Ken Anderson and starts going off and saying that Smith was the dumbest mother fucher that he has ever come across...
I laughed my azz off.
Not a single player walked over to him and told him to shake it off or showed any kind of care in the world if the guy ever played again.
Big Daddy was another selection that blew my mind.