Stanford Bowl game

Stanford Bowl game

January 3rd, 2012, 7:13 am #1

Sometimes I get into these games pretty good and I can't help but wonder how that kicker from Stanford felt as he missed a field goal against Oklahoma St. that would have won in reg and missed again in OT. I bet he had to feel the greatest disappointment he ever had - I've had big disappointments and when you have those you just feel like going into hiding and not saying a word to anyone for a time. And then being in the locker room with his teammates afterwards - he had to feel like crawling under a rock.

January 3rd, 2012, 7:59 am #2

Scott Norwood knows that pain....and the Boise St kicker.

"Insert witty quotation here"

January 3rd, 2012, 3:43 pm #3

Also the uc kicker had the blocked FG in the WV game - disappointing but not nearly the magnitude of the one in the Stanford game.

January 3rd, 2012, 10:02 pm #4

I remember that one well - Buffalo had the ball and was driving and got the ball to the NYG 40 yard line with a min or so left and they bring Norwood out to try a 47 yd FG. I was basically down on all fours for I wanted to see the Bills win and end a long drought of AFC teams winning super bowls. Agonizingly it missed by 3 ft. wide right. The looks on the Bills faces afterward - talk about despair. It was a good game though.

BTW about the Stanford game - I saw Luck interviewed by a sideline reporter in the tunnel and it was obvious Luck didn't want to say a word to anyone. I know that feeling.

January 3rd, 2012, 10:54 pm #5

Kind of a sad story, last year after the Nevada game Brosnan our kicker tried to commit suicide.  The story did have a happy ending however because he couldn't kick the stool out from under himself.

"Well, it ain't braggin' if it's true
Yes sir, yes sir
It ain't braggin' if it's true
Muhammad Ali said that
Back when he was a young man
Back when he was Cassius Clay
Before he fought too many fights
And left his brain inside the ring"

January 4th, 2012, 2:08 am #6

OK--there's Peterson--then there's this new idiot from Stanford. Did they just quit coaching in the Prep Ranks in November??!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

No way you throw that kid out there for his 4th kick at that range. Not when he's obviously struggling--and he's 1 for 3.

And deja vu--like Boise State's Game against TCU--you have a Heisman Candidate slinging the ball around at his command. Almost the same situation that Kellen Moore and company were in.

At the 45 second mark--I thought it was unbelievable that they started slowing up (Jim Harbaugh wouldn't have done this). You're going to stop at the 17 yard line and let the kicker blow it for you?

OK--THINKING BACK ON IT--THIS DESERVES ALL CAPS. LISTEN UP, DUMB F*CKING COACHES. LEMME MAKE IT REAL CLEAR FOR YOU (because Oklahoma State's Coach did the same thing in OT--TAKE A 5-YARD LOSS TO KICK A FG INSTEAD OF LETTING JOHN LITHGOW THE COLLEGIATE QB SNEAK IT ACROSS FOR A 1/2 A YARD!?!?!?!?!?!? ALMOST AS UNFORGIVABLE). TAKE A FG WHEN ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NECESSARY. IN FACT, AVOID KICKING THE FG. AT ALL COSTS. TOO MANY THINGS CAN GO WRONG DURING A KICK.

1. WIND MISDIRECTION
2. FG KICKERS ARE HEAD CASES. ANYTHING CAN GO WRONG. SEE THE GRAMMATICA'S FOR THE WORLD'S GREATEST EXAMPLES.
3. LONG SNAPPERS ARE HEAD CASES. THEY COULD SKIP THE BALL ON THE CARPET OR SLING IT OVER YOUR HEAD FOR 70 YARDS.
4. HOLDERS ARE HEAD CASES. SEE TONY GD ROMO.
5. SPECIAL TEAMS COME OFF THE BENCH COLD. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN WITH COLD PLAYERS.

So, there's 5 things right there. And in Palo Alto and Boise, ID--a 28 yarder isn't automatic.

YOU GO FOR THE TD. AT ALL TIMES. WIN THE GAME. GET THE BALL ACROSS THE GOALLINE--AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT THE 5 DANGERS ABOVE FROM THE KICKING GAME.

Also, when you have a Heisman Trophy Candidate in your offense somewhere, playing for 3 should not be an option. In fact, it is downright unforgivable (I have a feeling that I wouldn't be posting this if Harbaugh stayed in South Bay). Going for the win is the only option. At least get it 1st and goal, for f*cks sake.

Dude as Cardinal HC should be losing his job today. That sh*t is amazing to me.

I have a feeling that the Stanford Cardinal, after all Harbaugh's Recruits are gone--will just fade back into the academic mediocrity we know them for.

So be it--too bad, so sad.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

January 4th, 2012, 3:12 am #7

Belko......that was funny

January 4th, 2012, 4:01 am #8

Sometimes I get into these games pretty good and I can't help but wonder how that kicker from Stanford felt as he missed a field goal against Oklahoma St. that would have won in reg and missed again in OT. I bet he had to feel the greatest disappointment he ever had - I've had big disappointments and when you have those you just feel like going into hiding and not saying a word to anyone for a time. And then being in the locker room with his teammates afterwards - he had to feel like crawling under a rock.
You mean Stanford and Oklahoma State played a bowl game to see who might get 3rd place for the season? Maybe the winner will even get 'Voted' into 2nd place....Wow! That's exciting! I can't believe I missed it. I think I was watching an old women's knitting competition on the Oxygen channel. You guys gotta be shitting me. WHAT IS THE ******* POINT? It's a meaningless stupid ******* game played for nothing. Boycott this stupid **** until a playoff is created. For the love of God! How can you get excited over this drivel?

January 4th, 2012, 5:16 am #9

I know these games are meaningless but the outcomes are getting to be like a broken record - in the Sugar Bowl Mich beat Virg Tech when Virg. Tech botched a FG in OT and Michigan then went on to make theirs. What is it with these kickers? If I didn't know any better I'd swear some of these kickers have been Bungalized. Might be good material for the Bungs - they'd fit right in here.
Last edited by bengalbear on January 4th, 2012, 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 4th, 2012, 7:30 am #10

Wind is a factor in an indoor field like the Fiesta Bowl?

"Insert witty quotation here"

Confirmation of reply: