Prometheus

Prometheus

June 16th, 2012, 7:29 am #1

Anybody seen this yet? Not bad. I give it an 8.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

June 16th, 2012, 11:55 am #2

It looked like it had gore, Alien style. Just can't stomach that in my old age.

June 16th, 2012, 12:27 pm #3

Excellent Big Old Blockbuster. If you are a fan of the original Alien (and even better Aliens...after that the whole franchise rather went down hill*) then you'll enjoy it. But don't worry Homey not much gore (not on the Alien/s scale for that) but a couple of moments will make you jump.

No spoilers, but once again the robot gets most of the good lines and is the most interesting character.

However I would say that when it ended it did seem to leave a few to many questions and so it is set up for at least one, maybe two sequels, or prequels. Whatever they are calling them these days, I can't keep up.

I do wish they could just make a film that won't need another one or two films to tie it all up. As in, that's it, the end! No waiting a year for the next film, which of course only leaves you asking more questions that you have to wait another year for...and so on! It's like going to McD asking for a Big Mac and getting just a bun. You are then told to come back tomorrow for the burger, and the day after for the gherkin!!!

9/10.

*Hmmm....a franchise once being pretty decent, but then going down hill, only in it for the money, paying over the odds for dreadful story lines, wooden actors and boring special effects that you've seen before and where they one used to excite you now they just make you feel a bit sick....remind you of anything???

June 16th, 2012, 9:00 pm #4

...but I liked the Engineer better. I was secretly cheering on the Engineer to kill everybody. LOL!!!

But I guess he wasn't that smart or he would have used his strength to close the door on the Alien.

Three things that disappointed me:

1. The script was absolutely horrible.
2. The Engineers for as muscular, advanced, and as intelligent as they were--were real pussies.
3. How Charlize Theron's character dies.

Else....cool movie--and that landing was THE most beautiful sci-fi planet landings I've seen. Ridley as usual did not disappoint on the eye candy!!!!

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

June 16th, 2012, 9:56 pm #5

so there are ta ta's huh?

June 17th, 2012, 12:35 am #6

Anybody seen this yet? Not bad. I give it an 8.

I have not seen the movie yet, but from the reviews, it seems to built around a very old Lovecraftian theme.

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

Theosophists have guessed at the awesome grandeur of the cosmic cycle wherein our world and human race form transient incidents. They have hinted at strange survivals in terms which would freeze the blood if not masked by a bland optimism. But it is not from them that there came the single glimpse of forbidden aeons which chills me when I think of it and maddens me when I dream of it. ...

from The Call of Cthulhu, by HP Lovecraft

http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/tex ... ion/cc.asp
So if we kind-of know where it's going already, maybe there's no need to eagerly anticipate the sequel(s). I still want to see it, though.

June 17th, 2012, 9:39 am #7

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age."

One thing's for sure about the movie--don't go places that are above your intellect. Don't try to understand it. Just leave it the f*ck alone--or it will kill you. Another thing about the movie though that could be the contradiction of this thought--if you don't go there and be proactive about a problem--eventually, it will come to you--and annihilate you and your species.

Also, Psycho--about this movie, there are things that are let's say evolution vs. the religious approach. Did we evolve? Or did the big bang theory take place because someone else help it along?

The "unexplained answers" are actually EXPLAINED in this movie. You just have to look for it. Take my advice--and do your bathroom break BEFORE the movie begins. You can't miss anything or you will miss the message(s). So don't take your flask or drink too much coke--it is a bit rough--because it is a long one (I think 2.5 hours--and I had to pee 10 minutes in).

Good movie overall--but like the android says "big things start with small beginnings". I think it's going to be a start of a wonderful new franchise of the evolution of a species--and possibly a death of another one.

The new Ripley (Weaver) is a decent start too. Hopefully, she sticks out the entire thing. Ridley says he's doing another 2 movies to go along with this one. I hope he does. They say that Prequels have no purpose. This one does.

Last edited by oldschoolerfan on June 17th, 2012, 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 19th, 2012, 8:35 pm #8

I am a biologist and here is an alien creature. It looks like a cobra, but it has had millions of years of an evolutionary head-start.

I shall take my helmet off and entice it to touch me.

Also, there is a zombie at our back door-we better let him in!

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who undertsand binary, and those who do not.

June 19th, 2012, 11:44 pm #9

Well, there goes any desire I had to see it. Maybe I'll catch it on cable someday.

June 20th, 2012, 1:53 am #10

I am a biologist and here is an alien creature. It looks like a cobra, but it has had millions of years of an evolutionary head-start.

I shall take my helmet off and entice it to touch me.

Also, there is a zombie at our back door-we better let him in!

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who undertsand binary, and those who do not.
Hey Synonymous, I thought exactly the same thing. Weren't those two complaining about being left alone, all scared and then that happened. If the snakeything had been all pink, furry with big blue eyes then maybe...but it wasn't, so run!

Plus (as we are giving away small plot lines) how do you go about decontaminating a huge loading bay area...oh yeah with a portable flame thrower...what!!!! Just stupid.

Confirmation of reply: