Playing GM

Playing GM

April 9th, 2012, 2:14 pm #1

Ok, the draft is right around the corner, so time to take a look at what I would love to see take place starting today.
Looking at the roster as of today...

QB--Andy Dalton--solid
RB--Green/Leanord/Scott--decent, could be solid if Leanord and Scott are used properly
WR--Green/Shipley..then some talented question marks
TE--Gresham..need help
T---Whitworth/Smith/Collins/O'Donnel--solid if healthy, decent back ups
G---Bolin/Bell/Wharton/Hudson--solid
C---Cook/? solid

DE--Dunlap/Johnson/Harvey/Anderson/Geathers---very solid
DT--Atkins/Hayden/Simms/Peko--very solid
LB--Howard/Lawson/Maualuga/Rivers--a few decent names fighting for special teams..needs upgrade
CB--Allen/Hall/Clements/Jones/Murray/Ghee--need an upgrade
S---Mays/Nelson/Sands/Miles

Freeagency was solid with
Harvey/Anderson/Bell/Wharton/Lawson/Jones/Allen/Green-Ellis/Nelson

Players on the roster that I would not write off just yet.
Binns/Hazelton/Whalen/Hawkins
Muckelroy

Draft a playmker on defense and offense with the first 2 picks.
Kirkpatrick should be there at 17.

Crazy thought of the day.
Trade #21 for Wallace...

Wish pick
Luchley from Boston College
Floyd from Notre Dame

http://murf-seriously.blogspot.com/
Last edited by murf129 on April 9th, 2012, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 9th, 2012, 8:13 pm #2

Murf,

I have been screaming for the Bungs to sign Wallace.
They get our #21 pick and we get our #2 receiver.
Wallace is a proven commodity. SIGN HIM!

Not only do we improve the dam offense, it hurts Pittspuke in the process!!!

Take either the guard from Stanford, the Center from Whisky, the Safety from Bama or the CB from Bama with the first pick.

"Insert witty quotation here"

April 10th, 2012, 6:27 pm #3

The Bengals have the cap space to give Wallace a decent contract.
As you stated, it not only helps the Bengals, but destroys Pittsburgh.

I would even give up the #17 and keep #21 to get Wallace.

April 10th, 2012, 8:24 pm #4

Bronco and Murf agree.

Somewhere in hell a snowball is not melting.

April 11th, 2012, 1:43 am #5

Sorry to break into this orgy of mutual admiration... LOL... But...

1. Wallace wants to be paid like Larry Fitzgerald. That would put him way above A.J. Green.

2. The draft is chock-full of receivers and you can supposedly get good value in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

3. We need a guard and a cornerback more than we need another No. 1 receiver.

4. What good would it do to have TWO Number 1 receivers? Expecting an Air Marvin aerial circus?

5. Asking for Fitzgerald-type money is pretty diva-esque. Do we really need to go there again?

April 11th, 2012, 2:18 am #6

6) While I think Wallace is a legit talent, it definitely helps your stats to have a HOF QB throwing the ball your way, and the speedy receivers and QBs that can buy time are perfect compliments for each other.

I still think he is very good, but maybe not as good as he thinks or wants to get paid like. Signing him and keeping Green would be putting a lot of money into the WR position, and Psycho is right, with this run-heavy scheme coaching staff would it be worth the investment?

Of course I'd be OK with it. We're like $40 mill below the cap for F's sake! Sign him to a frontloaded contract where he makes $20M in the first years and a reasonable amount down the road, that would be a smart way to use your cap space, but it's never gonna happen.

"We do do, and we do it at a very, very high level," Lewis said.

April 11th, 2012, 5:27 am #7

Excuse my ignorance Psycho, but wouldn't it only be necessary to simply outbid the Stealers and lose the 21 pick?

April 11th, 2012, 11:48 am #8

If you were Mike Wallace, which team would you rather play for? Hmm...

Steelers... Bengals? Bengals... Steelers?

The price to snag him away from Art Rooney goes way up, and the Diva-in-development already wanted to be paid like one of the Top-3 receivers in the game. Even if Mike Brown got clunked on the head and started thinking he was Jerry Jones, he'd have a hard time pulling that one off.

Like Cin-C was saying, Wallace may not be as good as Roethlisberger makes him look. I'd rather use the 21st pick on a bigger need. And anyway, Wallace flat-out won't sign with the Bungs,

April 11th, 2012, 12:16 pm #9

The Wallace talk is just fun talk...
#1 The Bengals front office despite having back to back solid offseasons, are still the Bengals and the imagination needed to pull something like that off is not there.

BUT...

DO NOT DRAFT A FUCHING LINEMAN WITH #1/#2/ OR #3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They drafted Bolin last year who played solid as a rookie being switched around.
They inked Wharton and Bell to battle for the other spot.
You have serviceable back ups and you can draft lineman for depth in the later rounds.

This team is lacking in play makers that can change a game.
DB's/Safety/Linebackers...tailbacks/wideout.

Fat and sloppy played decent last year.
Nobody in the league is raving about this kids Hall of Fame potential despite his Hall of Fame contract.
Even if he turns out to be as billed this year, his contract is almost up and you are going to be forced to either part ways or pay him another big contract for an average career.
Mikey has shown a resistance to pay for guards for some odd reason, so there is not a single reason to draft a fuching guard, that will not have an instant impact on this season, then in 3 years, watch him go to another team.

Yes, we need to upgrade or at the very minimum add quality depth to the line, but do that in the later rounds or with free agency after the draft.

April 12th, 2012, 4:51 am #10

DOES NOT HAVE TO BE A STUD. Leave the Wallace potentially diva situation alone.

My point. Michael Irvin's #2 in Dallas for a couple of years was Alvin F*cking Harper. We all know what happened to Harper when he left Irvin. Went to Tampa--He was never heard from again. Actually he was this year--when he was voted one of the top NFL Acquisition BUSTS of all-time.

LEAVE WALLACE ALONE. Let Shipley or somebody benefit from having a stud on the other side.

PLUS, YOU NEED SOME OFFENSIVE LINEMEN AS WELL.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

Confirmation of reply: