Play a Funeral March For Us, Paul Alexander

October 29th, 2017, 5:56 pm #21

Daugherty on classical pianist and O-line coach Paul Alexander, one month prior to the regular season:
Paul Alexander isn’t averse to self-praise, but he’d never go around the NFL broadcasting his skills as a classical pianist. He is, after all, an offensive line coach. “On most teams,’’ he explains, “the last thing you do is tell people you play the piano. It just gives them ammunition to criticize you.’’

Maybe. But who’s more interesting? Someone who can diagram blocking schemes? Or someone who can play Schubert’s “Standchen’’ without missing a note?

Answer: Both.

It’s the biggest question of Alexander’s coaching life, which has spanned more than three decades and includes time with Joe Paterno, Bo Schembechler and, well, Dave Shula. The Bengals 2017 equation couldn’t be simpler: If Ogbuehi and Fisher are competent, the offense will be beastly. If they’re not ...

“It’s the biggest challenge I can recall,’’ is how Alexander puts it. “If they don’t play good, it’s my fault.’’

Alexander isn’t shy about what he has accomplished. What does he say to Ogbuehi and Fisher, to inspire confidence?

“You’re not gonna fail. I’ve never had a tackle fail. Just do what I ask you to do.’’ Twenty-three seasons of establishing something does have its upside.

“There’s a standard here. You do it this way. You don’t have to worry about anything but doing it this way.

He has also written a book, titled Perform: A Journey For Athletes, Musicians, Coaches and Teachers. I ask him if his linemen have a copy. He says no. “That’d be a little self-serving. They’ve heard most of the stories, anyway,’’ says Alexander.

They’ve heard. Over the next five months, we’ll find out if they’ve listened. Only a season depends on it.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/ ... 104532112/

Five sacks allowed in Week 1. We'll see how many were officially on the tackles.
What should be a cake walk against Indianapolis is a tough game because the offensive line cannot block at all. Andy Dalton has no time to throw whatsoever.

Opposing teams have figured out their adjustments that got them through the Cleveland and Buffalo games. Time to try something different, Paul Alexander, because what you are doing now is not working.

October 29th, 2017, 7:46 pm #22

Daugherty on classical pianist and O-line coach Paul Alexander, one month prior to the regular season:
Paul Alexander isn’t averse to self-praise, but he’d never go around the NFL broadcasting his skills as a classical pianist. He is, after all, an offensive line coach. “On most teams,’’ he explains, “the last thing you do is tell people you play the piano. It just gives them ammunition to criticize you.’’

Maybe. But who’s more interesting? Someone who can diagram blocking schemes? Or someone who can play Schubert’s “Standchen’’ without missing a note?

It’s the biggest question of Alexander’s coaching life, which has spanned more than three decades and includes time with Joe Paterno, Bo Schembechler and, well, Dave Shula. The Bengals 2017 equation couldn’t be simpler: If Ogbuehi and Fisher are competent, the offense will be beastly. If they’re not ...

“It’s the biggest challenge I can recall,’’ is how Alexander puts it. “If they don’t play good, it’s my fault.’’

Alexander isn’t shy about what he has accomplished. What does he say to Ogbuehi and Fisher, to inspire confidence?

“You’re not gonna fail. I’ve never had a tackle fail. Just do what I ask you to do.’’ Twenty-three seasons of establishing something does have its upside.

“There’s a standard here. You do it this way. You don’t have to worry about anything but doing it this way.

He has also written a book, titled Perform: A Journey For Athletes, Musicians, Coaches and Teachers. I ask him if his linemen have a copy. He says no. “That’d be a little self-serving. They’ve heard most of the stories, anyway,’’ says Alexander.

They’ve heard. Over the next five months, we’ll find out if they’ve listened. Only a season depends on it.

Five sacks allowed in Week 1. We'll see how many were officially on the tackles.
That offensive line sure is dog meat.

October 29th, 2017, 7:48 pm #23

Yes, and Alexander should be taking more heat for it.

October 29th, 2017, 8:01 pm #24

I repeat, that offensive line sure is dog meat!!!!

October 29th, 2017, 8:06 pm #25

And they're getting worse!!!

November 5th, 2017, 10:56 pm #26

Open question:

How long does it take to build up a decent offensive line when the one you already have sucks?

There is maybe one solid starter on the line right now, and that would be guard Cliff Boling. Obuehi and Fisher are terrible at tackle. Smith is an okay backup tackle but should only be a backup. Bodine is lousy at center and has been lousy since he was rookie four years ago. At the other guard spot they have a guy who was picked up as a college free agent who was either on IR or on the practice squad for the past three years. That would be Hopkins.

Maybe they could convert Fisher to guard. Or maybe one of the young backup guards develops. If either of those things happened they would still need two tackles and a center. Even if they drafted a good prospect at each position, it would presumably take a few years for them to develop.

What's that, you say? Free agency?! Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! Like the Bungs ever make much use of that strategy, and it's not like there are ever any good young tackles available. Or centers.

How old is AJ Green going to be when they have an okay line again?

November 6th, 2017, 2:46 am #27

Even if the Bungs get a good pick in the draft next year they're gonna waste it on another WR or a corner. I've said this before, they probably won't even think about drafting a lineman until at least the 4th or 5th round like last year. The draft won't help and yes free agency certainly won't help either, last offseason all they did was bring back man tits who doesn't even see much playing time as it is. The Bungs offensive line is poised to suck for years to come and AJ will be long gone by the time they have a good one again if ever.
Last edited by Bungleistic on November 6th, 2017, 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

November 6th, 2017, 2:05 pm #28

Most of the time we're talking about pass blocking. Then there's the running game. Dehner sums it up succinctly:

The offense seems unsalvageable. This line can’t run the ball. And the last two weeks against the 26th and 32nd ranked teams in the league in yards allowed per rush, Cincinnati handed the ball to a running back 31 times for 64 yards. That’s 2.1 yards per rush.

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 834972001/
Two of the worst run defenses in the league, including the worst run defense in the league, and the Bungles generated all of 2.1 yards per carry. That is truly playing at a dog meat junior varsity level. The O-line is so bad it's hard to evaluate the rest of the team, including the defense.

The issues clearly go well beyond not having Andrew Whitworth at tackle. As stated above, this will require a multi-year effort at rebuilding. While we tend to get carried away in our negativity around here, the O-line woes make us look like hard-headed realists.

November 6th, 2017, 4:28 pm #29

And you can point the finger straight at the team owner for all this. Failure to give Whitworth a 3rd year....

His refusal to even discuss Zeitler's contract.

His well known reluctance to pay O-Linemen what other teams do....

His annual failure to better his team with free agents who will make a difference....

His insistence on carrying over millions of dollars in cap space....

His refusal to get creative with player contracts so he can sign impact players even if he did spend some of his cap money....

Holding onto coaches like Paul Alexander and Ken Zampese well past their useful life then eagerly granting permission for other teams to cherry pick guys like Mike Zimmer, Jay Gruden, Hue Jackson and Vance Joseph....

November 7th, 2017, 6:01 am #30

Blame Paul Alexander all you want but what did mikey give him to work with? One of the least talented OL's in the game. There's an old saying "you can't make chicken salad out of chicken sh!t" and that's what we have. It will take years to rebuild this similar to what went on in the Lost Decade. Thanks for the memories mikey - I hope you think of all the fans in Cincy while you enjoy your winter cruises.

Confirmation of reply: