Paul Brown Training Camp Speech

Paul Brown Training Camp Speech

July 24th, 2012, 1:54 pm #1

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/w ... mqb/1.html

This is a long read but I thought it worth the time. It gave me a new perspective on Paul Brown the person. Some of his thoughts seem antiquated by today's standards but others seemed well ahead of his time.

July 24th, 2012, 10:37 pm #2

Did anyone see Mike Brown chuckle when he was talking about a comment Andy Dalton made?

After the playoff loss

Mike Brown: "Don't worry Andy next year will be a little better"

Andy: "No it won't, its going to be a lot better"

Mike Brown: "Laughs"

Pretty sure he was thinking that poor kid thinks we care about winning and thats what caused him to laugh

------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB

July 25th, 2012, 5:08 am #3

This is a long read but I thought it worth the time. It gave me a new perspective on Paul Brown the person. Some of his thoughts seem antiquated by today's standards but others seemed well ahead of his time.
Geez, what a control freak:
"... I like the life. It's going to be pleasant for you and it's going to be pleasant for me. We're going to reflect this by the way we perform. To me, we're more than a business organization, we're a family. We operate that way and if there's anybody that wants to know for sure, I'm the father, the dad. ...

"You'll be all getting into homes or apartments to rent. Live with some class, especially if you're a single guy. If you're one of these love-nest people, it eventually comes back to me too. ...

"We have a contract with these food-service people. You might notice those little old gals over there, the same ones have been here every year we've been here. They're sweet, nice people, really. They grow to like you and I want you to keep on that kind of relationship. ...

"We're class people. Keep the meals pleasant. One thing I'm going to suggest to you. Don't try to see how quickly you can eat and run. ...

"On the night before games, be particularly careful that no visitors get into your hotel rooms. Gladhanders, relatives, gamblers, prostitutes, fairies, these people are predators. We go to a place to play football and it's the serious proposition. You'd be shocked if you were on the coaching staff and knew how we study you. It's easy to detect a hustler. I said to you before this isn't strictly a moral thing with us. Really it isn't a moral thing. We want our money's worth of your effort and we've got the right to it. Your dedication the night before a football game shows us a great deal about your sincerity. ...

"After you get cut, get packed and prepare to leave camp immediately. We'll have your transportation check. We'll try to help you to the airport. Before leaving, you have to go through a checklist with our camp manager or one of the coaches before you can get your transportation check. These are not only our rules, they come from the league. Waivers will be asked immediately on you and teams claiming you will be advised to contact you at your home address and the telephone number you leave with us as you go. ...

"Now, be sure you don't, as you get started here, get blisters or if you have a pulled muscle, I don't want you to run sprints this afternoon. ... When you come over here, do not wear your football shoes. There's a lady that keeps this area sparkling clean and we want to cooperate with her. ...

"I'm not about to run myself off. I can demand the things I'm asking of you. But by the same token, I want you to enjoy being with us. I'd sort of like to have you be able to say if you're here in years to come, it was a pleasurable experience. ..."
Imagine how deflated a relatively free-spirited rookie felt by the time "Dad" finished his spiel. Yep, this was gonna be a pleasure, alright.

Remember, JB and Storm, don't let any fairies into your hotel rooms! And you darn well better be nice to the food service people. They're really nice old gals!

July 25th, 2012, 6:12 am #4

""On the night before games, be particularly careful that no visitors get into your hotel rooms."

LMAO!!! Imagine Paul Brown losing his mind with guys like Shawn Kemp or all the "playaz" in the NBA. What was that--12 kids by 10 different women (that we know of!)--yeah.

LOSING IT.

LOL.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

July 25th, 2012, 12:56 pm #5

I would rather have that attitude than that of "the great redeemer."

The laughable list of arrests would have been much shorter or even zero.

July 26th, 2012, 2:10 am #6

I work in a family owned business that is run the exact same way as the Bengals, I love my job but I have to put up with this same kind of BS, PBs speech and a speech I heard from my boss a few years ago are eerily similar

In Memory of Dunn4QB

July 26th, 2012, 2:18 am #7

True excerpts from a Speech from the Owner of the company I work for

* "When you choose your friends to hang out with pick higher class people, I hang out with lawyers and Drs myself, if you hang out with bums you are a bum"

*If you smoke cigarettes you need to quit, it makes you look unprofessional and makes your breath stink, I used to smoke and I quit"

*Make sure you wash your hair and shave every day, carry a toothbrush and mouth wash and use them in between your stops.

* Shine your shoes, it makes you feel better about yourself.

*Asking for a raise makes you look unprofessional, if you deserve a raise we will determine that so don't ask.

In Memory of Dunn4QB

July 26th, 2012, 6:04 am #8

Identical

people always assess their own performance as "above average" even people who, when tested, actually perform at the very bottom of the pile. [Incompetent People Too Ignorant to Know It]

July 26th, 2012, 3:42 pm #9

"When we started out, I made the statement publicly that I wanted to be competitive in five years and I think we proved that last year.... I want to win something..... We're shooting for the big prize."

I like this part. But the Mike Brown's era has stepped backwards and is just aiming for being competitive.

July 26th, 2012, 5:49 pm #10

"*Asking for a raise makes you look unprofessional, if you deserve a raise we will determine that so don't ask."

That is unprofessional for a business owner to say. (Unless they do annual or biannual meetings with employees)

"Insert witty quotation here"

Confirmation of reply: