NFL didn't want Vick's return bungled?

NFL didn't want Vick's return bungled?

August 18th, 2011, 2:46 pm #1

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/sports/2011 ... -a-bengal/

Too funny. I find it interesting that he says he definitely could have started here. We did still have a guy named Palmer on the team at the time.

Maybe that's how we make sense of the offer the brownHole gave to Vick, which was reported at the time.

If it's true that Palmer has been talking to the org for a long time about wanting out, maybe the plan was to sign Vick and move Palmer? Once the NFL intervened and we lost out on Vick, and had no viable or "affordable" other option, the brownHole said screw it you're staying or retiring?

Just speculation but would make sense. Interesting either way, and absolutely comical that the NFL c*ck-blocked the brownHole (I have to stand with the NFL on this one. You ALWAYS c*ck-block your brownHole when dealing with recently released prisoners. Rule of thumb.)

"We do do, and we do it at a very, very high level," Lewis said.

August 18th, 2011, 4:26 pm #2

We at MBS should collectively sue Goodell: he deprived us of the most entertaining and epopletic meltdown in history that would have occurred if Vick had signed with Cincy. (And if Vick had STARTED over Palmer? WOW! That rant would have been EPIC!)

BMN
BMN

August 18th, 2011, 10:46 pm #3

I find it hilarious that Goodell talked him out of Cincinnati and Vick better be happy he did but this reeks of collusion and favoritism, regardless of the reason no way in hell should Goodell be involved in personnel decisions for teams

------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB

August 18th, 2011, 11:36 pm #4

Goodell is saying he didn't steer Vick away from any team and now Vick is backing off his statement lmao

------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB

August 19th, 2011, 2:26 am #5

What, did you guys forget about, "quarterbacks are like queen bees..."?

MB was willing to offer Vick a contract if nobody else would. Because, you know, that young man was desperately in need of redemption! But Carson Palmer was too beloved for the man to actually fight for Murf's favorite QB.

Anyway, Vick would have sunk like a stone in Bratkowski's offense.

August 19th, 2011, 3:03 am #6

My guess is the league (and Tony Dungy) basically said, "Look, these 3 teams are interested. 1 of them will pay for a "support structure" (handlers,m PR people) and the other 2 will not. We don't want you to get in trouble again b/c it will make us look bad so why don't you go with the one spending money?"

Our cheapskate owner deprived us of the one thing that could have entertained us through that dreadful season: Murf's EPIC meltdown if Vick had been a bungle!!!

That bastard!

"We do do, and we do it at a very, very high level," Lewis said.

August 19th, 2011, 9:46 am #7

as i remember it MikeyBoy had offered Vick a contract at league-minimum...i don't believe Goddell really had an influence in pushing Vick one way or the other...how long has he even been commish? wasn't this in the first or second year of him replacing Paul T.? I really doubt the offer from cincy was ever seriously considered by Vick's party...

August 19th, 2011, 6:22 pm #8

Goodell was just finishing up his 3rd year as commissioner when Vick was reinstated. Cincy offered a contract first, $2.3 million for 2 years. Philly followed with a 1 year $1.6 million deal with a team option for 2010 worth $5.2 million and $3 million more in incentives over the 2 years. As of Feb 2009, Cincy was $29 million under the cap, I'm not sure how much was left in August(probably most of it). I remember at the time being disappointed that Mikey would even consider signing Vick after his atrocities(I am a dog owner) but as of right now? I would feel a lot more confident with Vick under center than Andy Dalton or Bruce "Bengal Killer" Gradkowski.

Confirmation of reply: