NBA Playoffs

NBA Playoffs

May 24th, 2012, 1:49 am #1

You guys know who I root for when it comes to football and baseball, but you may not know I am a huge basketball fan also.

As a kid I loved UC basketball and was fortunate to see some of the modern-era greats play: Nick Van Exel, Kenyon Martin. But I didn't have an NBA team. Everyone else liked MJ and the Bulls, and I did too kids are bandwagon fans as a general rule but I wanted to be different so I chose the Spurs because of David Robinson. The guy fulfilled his Navy commitments and seemed like a class act, so I figured he seemed like a good dude to cheer for.

Best decision ever. Win or lose, I have always been proud to be a fan of the Spurs. I've heard people on this board talk about how they don't like the thuggery and egos of the present day NBA. Watch some Spurs games, you won't be disappointed. They share the ball, want to see each other succeed, put their egos aside, and listen to their coach. They are genuinely good dudes, and you'd be hard pressed to find more humble stars than Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili imo. The coach is former military intelligence and now a wine connoisseur, how awesome is that! They do have one thing in common with the Bengals: They are in a small market. Some things they don't: It's a class act organization that wants to win and competes every year.

The series with the Thunder, the two highest scoring teams in the regular season and playoffs, should be great. If you like fundamental team basketball, there is plenty of room on the Spurs' bandwagon. If not, we all have our interests, but it is the offseason so thought I'd throw it out there.

"We do do, and we do it at a very, very high level," Lewis said.

May 24th, 2012, 3:09 am #2

Spurs are indeed an easy team to root for. I like the Thunder too though so I'll be watching the series without a dog in the fight but I'll still be expecting some first rate roundball.

I lost interest in the game in the years leading up to the MJ era when nobody wanted to play defense and guys like Shawn Kemp gave the league a bad name by siring a family in every road city. But things have improved greatly.

May 24th, 2012, 3:43 am #3

The Lakers are out. Ratings will take a dump. OKC looks like the favorite.

Miami? Indiana may take them out.

May 24th, 2012, 5:55 pm #4

OKC will have a tough time with the boring Spurs.

Nice to see the 76ers (with former NCAA national player of the year, Evan Turner from OSU) doing well.
Definitely a suprise this year (Rose being injured with the assist).

"Insert witty quotation here"

May 25th, 2012, 2:10 am #5

To me the boring label only applies if you love drama, love to hate, love guys with an ego the size of Alaska, and stare at the ball to try to understand what's happening. In other words, the Spurs are boring if you watch basketball like a teenager obsessed with the latest hype.

The Spurs were the highest scoring team in the league. Manu Ginobili is one of the most creative offensive players in the modern era. The Spurs are far from boring for people that know the game.

I think teams like the Clippers are boring. Terrible offense for 10 plays, then an easy dunk. Doesn't do anything for me. I think you probably have to have played a lot of basketball to fully understand that throwing down a wide open dunk isn't very impressive. Five guys willingly moving the ball in perfect choreography is much more rare because it is much more difficult. Before I really played the game I thought "hero ball" was the ultimate. Then I realized that what happens away from the ball is actually just as or more important.

May 25th, 2012, 3:17 am #6

I should clarify.

When I said boring, I didnt mean to infer any criticism whatsoever.
When the Spurs are healthy, they are a machine. A low mistake, low drama and highly successful machine.

They embody what a "TEAM" should be.

Its difficult to not like Duncan.

I was in the US Virgin Islands a few years ago. They LOVE themselves some Timmy. Since he is from there, it is perfectly understandable.

Sorry if I struck a nerve.

Last edited by broncobux on May 25th, 2012, 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 25th, 2012, 12:50 pm #7

Us Spurs fans have been hearing for 10 years how boring our team is, ha, so we are all pretty well used to it by now, no offense taken.

May 25th, 2012, 4:01 pm #8

Tim Duncan. You think he is great on the court? He is even more amazing off the court. He is a great human soul. I'm a big fan.

May 25th, 2012, 6:13 pm #9

Agreed re: Duncan.

May 30th, 2012, 5:33 pm #10

What a game watching the Spurs snooze their way to 120 points! Boy, they sure looked old and boring didn't they? Lol.

There were a few minutes in the 3rd quarter where I think I literally saw perfect execution on offense by the Spurs. No one making incredibly difficult or nearly impossible shots, mind you, just perfect execution. I sure hope they can keep it up! If they make the Finals and so do the Heat, which seems pretty likely right now, it will only get more difficult to execute those passes the way Wade and LeBron play perimeter defense. Hopefully it at least wears those guys down.

Confirmation of reply: