Murf gets his wish

Murf gets his wish

November 30th, 2004, 6:49 pm #1

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=1935138

Wow.

My first take is that he didn't really get a fair shake. 3 years isn't even long enough to get 1 recruiting class through.

"I may have even gone to a game or two this year if I was home. Glad I'm out here." - VBF ~ from Iraq.

November 30th, 2004, 7:11 pm #2

South Bend meet Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, Jesse and Al, meet South Bend!

It's a damn shame but they will probably try to turn this into a race thing

-------------------------------------------

Paul Brown only made two mistakes in his entire life.

1) creating a football team in Cleveland

2) choosing to reproduce.

other than that - the man was a genius.

tiitr

November 30th, 2004, 7:53 pm #3

The sad part is that it might actually be a race thing. Coaches at big time programs get longer than that all the time. Willingham hasn't struggled like many other coaches have (JoePa, Bobby Bowden, etc.). I'm no fan of Jesse or Al, but somebody probably ought to get involved.

"I may have even gone to a game or two this year if I was home. Glad I'm out here." - VBF ~ from Iraq.

November 30th, 2004, 8:23 pm #4

I don't think this is race motivated, but you have to wonder why they gave Bob Davie all those chances when he was obviously bad at simple things like clock management and he was less successful than Willingham. I don't buy the high standards nonsense people spout about their lack of recruiting either. If high standards prevented teams from being good in sports then Duke would suck ass in basketball every year.

November 30th, 2004, 8:50 pm #5

Nothing in sports is a race thing! its a win thing! If you win then you will be rewarded, it doesn't matter if your brown, white, black or yellow!

Just win baby!

As soon as Jesse and Al get finished counting votes, they're headed to South Bend to make it a race thing though!

tiitr

November 30th, 2004, 8:51 pm #6

And as far as ND giving Davies and others more time, maybe they learned their lesson!

tiitr

November 30th, 2004, 9:31 pm #7

"Nothing in sports is a race thing! its a win thing!"
I'm sorry, but that is the most naive statement I've heard in a long time. Sure if you get the chance to really improve a program and turn it around you get rewarded, but historically many black coaches have not been given enough times and leeway to do this successfully. To say that race doesn't play a role, especially at white school like ND is silly.

Brat: "Good job Rudi, you almost make me feel comfortable running on second down."

November 30th, 2004, 9:38 pm #8

And as far as ND giving Davies and others more time, maybe they learned their lesson!

tiitr
I don't care how much time Davies had.
The bottom line is very simple.
You must win games at Notre Dame.
Look at it this way, if you had a coach at Ohio State that had lost in a very humilating way 3 years in a row, do you think that he would still have a job after the 3rd one?
Cooper had one of the best teams in teh country for a few years and he got fired b/c he lost to Michigan.
USC is one of the Dames biggest rival, and when you get blasted on national tv like you are a MAC team, then yes, your azz must go.
Willingham lost this job, his skin color had nothing to do with it.
He sat in a prevent and that prevented him to continue to be the head coach at Notre Dame.
You can't lose to teams like BYU/Pitt/Boston College and then get flat out smacked on national tv by a rival.

College is a tough job, you keep talking about rebuilding, but as you keep having bad seasons, the good recruits go to the schools that are winning and you never get back on top.
Next year the talent is there to have a solid season, and I agree that they needed someone other than Willingham and his "too scared to lose" attitude to take care of business.
As far as Jackson and Sharpton and the black coaches asso., look at the record vs top 25 teams over the past 3 years and then look at the scores of the USC- Notre Dame games on a national stage, if you can't see the reason why he got fired, then your a racist idiot.

11-5 Division Champs!

The Bengals defense will lead the NFL in TO's

November 30th, 2004, 10:35 pm #9

...that I didn't like about the analysts thinking about Notre Dame is that:

THEY TRIED TO BLAME IT ON THE HARDER CURRICULUM!!!

Come'on!!!!!! You expect me to believe that??? What about Notre Dame's 1980-1990's monstrous teams??? You expect me to start believing that Notre Dame's acedemic level all of a sudden got higher???

NOPE!!! I blame it on the recruiting level. I blame the coaching levels too. Shouldn't Notre Dame sell itself??? Maybe we should start blaming the recruiting on today's athletes??? They don't want to go to school's like Notre Dame because ND makes their UNDERWATER BASKETWEAVING MAJORS TAKE PHYSICS 101, 102, AND 103??? They make their PHYS ED MAJORS TAKE PHYSIOLOGY 201, 202, AND 203???

COME'ON!!! GIVE ME A BREAK.

I don't get how everyone thinks Hobson is such a great writer. His content is substantive when it comes to info, but his style is amatuerish and screams "houseboy."
-ChrisMBHater

November 30th, 2004, 10:37 pm #10

Bottom line is bad coaching!

11-5 Division Champs!

The Bengals defense will lead the NFL in TO's

Confirmation of reply: