Mikey's brilliance...

Mikey's brilliance...

April 27th, 2012, 1:33 pm #1

...what a great job last nite. WOW. Why draft the consensus best guard in the draft, best guard in the last 5 years type of player, a perenial probowler, when you can drop down and get an average joe guard and the 92nd pick in the draft? I mean with the last pick in the 3rd you can get a good backup wide receiver like Andre Caldwell.

If you draft the probowl guard, after 4 years you would have to pay him big bucks and you will lose him. Now, with Average Joe, you can keep him around for years, like Bobbie Williams. So, instead of a 4 year probowler who will bolt for more money, you get an average guard for 8 years and a 5 year back up wideout. Easy choice.

The real reason they drafted Zeitler, Paul Alexander said this:

"If you went fishing and you're sitting on the lake all day, some guys after a half-hour you want to throw them in the water," Alexander said. "This guy, you could sit out there with him all day."

Perfect Cincy player, after all there is golf to be played and fishing to be done!

April 27th, 2012, 2:06 pm #2

I agree. I'm not writing off Zeitler completely, but DeCastro is seen as a can't miss type of prospect, much like when they drafted Pouncey two years ago. The Bobby Williams comparison to Zeitler is a good one...he may have more upside than Williams, but certainly not than DeCastro.

April 27th, 2012, 2:10 pm #3

...what a great job last nite. WOW. Why draft the consensus best guard in the draft, best guard in the last 5 years type of player, a perenial probowler, when you can drop down and get an average joe guard and the 92nd pick in the draft? I mean with the last pick in the 3rd you can get a good backup wide receiver like Andre Caldwell.

If you draft the probowl guard, after 4 years you would have to pay him big bucks and you will lose him. Now, with Average Joe, you can keep him around for years, like Bobbie Williams. So, instead of a 4 year probowler who will bolt for more money, you get an average guard for 8 years and a 5 year back up wideout. Easy choice.

The real reason they drafted Zeitler, Paul Alexander said this:

"If you went fishing and you're sitting on the lake all day, some guys after a half-hour you want to throw them in the water," Alexander said. "This guy, you could sit out there with him all day."

Perfect Cincy player, after all there is golf to be played and fishing to be done!
Both were rated about the same.
Most Bengals fans wanted a guard, and they got a guard plus an additional pick in the 3rd round.

You build a great team by making intelligent moves.
This was a very intelligent move.

You got a young corner that can flat out play and brings some life to a defense that needs it.
you got an instant starter at guard and you added a draft pick.
I would say they had a great first day.

It took Mikey over 20 years to figure things out, but over the past few years, he has had some great moves.
I know some of you will refuse to see that, but the truth is there.

This offseason is turning out to be better than last years.
I would not be shocked to see them grab Jenkins from Dallas today.

http://murf-seriously.blogspot.com/

April 27th, 2012, 3:32 pm #4

Agree with Murf.

Smart moves.

Its a freaking guard!

"Insert witty quotation here"

April 27th, 2012, 3:40 pm #5

Both were rated about the same.

By who? DeCastro was thought to be as high as the 11th overall pick and was seen as a steal by the Steelers in that spot..he has been described as 'elite' and 'can't miss'. It's just that most teams don't value guards anymore. Zeitler went around where expected. He has been described as 'pedestrian,' 'well coached in college,' and 'plug and play type of guard.' In other words, the Steelers got the next Alan Faneca, the Bungs got the next Bobby Williams. Not terrible, but anyone who is trying to convince themselves that the Bengals got an equivalent talent is just fooling themselves. That is my point. The Bungs clearly got the distant #2 in this case...this isn't a 1a 1b type of comparison here.

April 27th, 2012, 3:42 pm #6

Agree with Murf.

Smart moves.

Its a freaking guard!

"Insert witty quotation here"
.."Both were rated about the same."

Yep and the Ponderosa steak is about the same as Mortons. LMMFAO.

"The Bungs clearly got the distant #2 in this case...this isn't a 1a 1b type of comparison here."

Yea, but when we add Andre Caldwell II in the last of the third, that will really be sweet!

Last edited by dacow on April 27th, 2012, 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 27th, 2012, 3:48 pm #7

And the more that I read about Zeitler he was around the 60th rated prospect in the draft. DeCastro was 10-20 range. So, again, I am curious to hear exactly WHO says that "these guys were rated about the same" other than murf?

April 27th, 2012, 6:37 pm #8

By who? DeCastro was thought to be as high as the 11th overall pick
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Then why was he still there if he was so freakin awesome?
You guys are reaching for something to b!tch about here.

I wanted Hightower, but understand why they took Zietler.

As for Decastro being a steal for Pittsburgh because they got him in the late first round..Zietler was not too far behind him..
LOL..

Big worry in round 2...
Upshaw going to the Ravens...

April 27th, 2012, 10:24 pm #9

Also, Zeitler had 3 injuries to the same ankle.

DeCastro had no durability issues and never missed a game in college.

That alone makes DeCastro a better pick, even IF they were rated about the same. But they weren't. DeCastro was considered the without question top talent at the position.

Also, the idea that Zeitler can play center is not one shared by the draft evaluators I've read. They say he is a guard, and that's about it.

DeCastro on the other hand is projected as a capable back up center and a possible emergency right tackle. He is simply more athletic than Zeitler, better at pulling, and from what I hear fiercely competitive and lives for the game. Maybe good we didn't take him, with his intelligence, competitiveness and love for the game he would probably get burned out on the brownHole's antics faster than most. The players that do best here tend to be the just-here-to-collect-my-paycheck- kind of guys.

"We do do, and we do it at a very, very high level," Lewis said.

April 27th, 2012, 11:04 pm #10

Zietler is the next Akili...
Got it.
These are some of the same people that had Akili "rated" as a top player in the draft...LMAO

Only in Cincinnati can fans find reason to b!tch about an extra first round pick.
LOL

Last edited by murf129 on April 27th, 2012, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Confirmation of reply: