May 2012 - Bronco Jr - advice?

May 8th, 2012, 10:11 pm #11

"One other thing... formula is not your friend."

True lol

I suggest you invest in a bibb, not for the baby for you funny how a baby always spits up when you have fresh new clothes on

------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB

May 8th, 2012, 10:29 pm #12

Good luck pal. I have 3 and a grandchild due in September. I'm 46. First off, that's the singular greatest and most useful of Murf's posts on this board EVER. He is as right as rain.

My advice would be this: There are GOING to be times that are a combination of exhaustion, frustration, pity, pain, and what you will perceive as failures. Work hard to understand what lesson life or parenthood is presenting, instead of resenting or blaming each other for the change or the result. Nobody could possibly know what parenthood has to teach in advance. Live in the now. Appreciate every moment. Don't sleep in. And may the force be with you.

Mikey is cleverer than you think.

May 9th, 2012, 2:15 am #13

If you're squeamish, don't watch the epidural. I became a second patient. Do NOT like needles...

Mikey is cleverer than you think.

May 9th, 2012, 3:23 am #14

Be a hands-on involved dad from the get-go. Don't sit there and say you cannot do xyz because you are scared you'll drop him or you feel awkward. You can do just about anything your wife can do except nurse. If you don't get involved then you are in the way and you become enemy #1. Don't sit on your rear waiting for you wife to make you dinner. Don't be a burden. Take the bull by the horns.

Don't fall into the trap of waking up together with mom every time the baby cries in the middle of the night. Do shifts. Mom takes Mon-Weds-Thurs-Sat, bronco takes Tues-Friday-Sunday. If you are going to nurse, have mom store a few bottles of nurse milk in small portioned bottles in the fridge for dad to use. Just pop in microwave and let mom sleep. Of course she has the advantage in that she has two portable units sitting on her chest. If its formula, just have a few portioned bottles ready in the fridge.

I completely agree with Murf on his #1 point. Don't ever sleep in the same bed with your kid. Your fat azz can roll over on him and you won't know it. We all want to do it, its so cute and cudly. Its good to teach your kid right away to sleep on his own. He'll grow up more secure being able to put himself to sleep. He won't grow up to be a pussbag. It is so tempting to sleep with your child but resist it with all your power.

Have a looped cd of white noise to play when the baby cries to no end. The white noise is similar to what they experience in the womb. The womb is quite loud. When they come out of the womb they don't like it. The baby is now out of its warm, secure little nest. When your wife is tired, the kid won't stop crying and you don't know what to do, bust out the cd and let it play, loudly. It works. Its amazing.

Crazy as this guy sounds, this works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXqOxQKSCaU

Lastly, after a few months, let your wife have some time out with her friends to give her a break from the baby. You'll bond with the baby during this alone time as you'll have no one else to rely on other than yourself.

Other than that, enjoy being a dad. Try not to miss your buddies too much. The real friends will stick around. The fly by nights will disappear from your life.

And congratulations bronco. Being a dad is the greatest gift we can receive.

Last edited by uscthree on May 9th, 2012, 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 9th, 2012, 9:44 pm #15

<p>Didn't realize USC was a woman.</p><p> </p><p> </p>

May 10th, 2012, 12:32 am #16

Hilarious Belko.....

.....but very sound advice from U3

May 10th, 2012, 4:21 am #17

My wife had a C-Section.

The ADVICE the doctor had was "Whatever you do--DO NOT LOOK OVER THE CURTAIN"

Well, OldSchooler did. My mouth hung open. I know what my wife's pancreas looks like!!!!! And her stomach, intestines, etc.

Jesus. It was like dissection classes back in 7th grade!!!

Weird, but it was cool--but if you don't have a strong stomach, I don't recommend it.

"Ohhhh, Honey--I know what your spleen looks like....lay off the fatty foods....."

Nice. I'm such a nice prick.

Oh yeah--and when your son comes out--it's nothing what you thought. Excitement--then confusion. Then more excitement. Then the crying starts--and it hasn't ended almost 6 years later. LOL

Bronco, I know we haven't seen eye-to-eye--but man--seriously--CONGRATULATIONS, DUDE. Being a dad--is like being a superhero. You will never get enough of it.

It's awesome.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

May 10th, 2012, 4:35 am #18

My brother about got thrown out when he asked the female doctor if she could put in a "daddy stitch" after the delivery. Apparently she had no sense of humor....

May 10th, 2012, 6:11 am #19

I appreciate the responses, fellas.

My gal is a real trooper. She is in the middle of exam week right now (5 total) and she is 37 weeks prego.
She will be finishing her biochemistry degree in December. (She is taking the summer off to be a mommy).

I keep trying to make preparations, but i think its just an exercise in futility. LOL.

My gal thinks its funny that I am prepping the hospital bag for her, baby and I for when "the tie comes".
I just want to be prepared and I am afraid we will leave something at home we will need when the moment comes.

I will post pics a week or two after it happens.

"Insert witty quotation here"

May 10th, 2012, 7:34 am #20

1. When my last little guy was "delivered" (again, C-Section)--the nurse that was doing the "wipedown" and measurements made these comments:

a. "Wow--he has pretty eyes"
b. "Big hands..."
c. "Big feet...."
d. "OH WOW--HE'S WELL-ENDOWED!!!!!!"

LMAO--Daddy was proud. The wife? Not so thrilled.....

2. When we got 5-year old home from the hospital--his first diaper change?

HE PEE'S ON DADDY!!!!!!

3. When we get 2-year old home from the hospital--his first diaper change?

HE PEE'S ON DADDY!!!!!!

No matter how prepared you are, Bronco--you will get the pee-on daddy manuveur. Even IF you have fast reflexes and can put the front of the diaper up for the "urine force field", you will miss at least once.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

Confirmation of reply: