I miss when we did "by the numbers"

September 6th, 2018, 12:42 am #1

the numbers are mind-boggling at this point during Marvin Lewis's long reign of mediocrity...

I just saw this one: since Andy Dalton started playing for the Bengals (2011 till now), the Steelers are 12-3 vs the Bengals (including the January 2016 debacle), and 12-2 vs the Browns.

Imagine if The OSU was 3-12 vs Michigan!

Put another way, since Andy Dalton entered the NFL, the Steelers are 24-5 vs Ohio teams. That's a success rate that is better than Alabama vs Ole Miss. That's a success rate that's better than The OSU vs Northwestern.
===============================================
1991-2017 the putrid reign of Mikey Brown:
Record in Prime Time: 12 wins, 33 losses (0.267)
Record vs the Steelers: 14 wins, 42 losses (0.250)
Record vs AFC Playoff Teams: 32 wins, 116 losses (0.216)

September 8th, 2018, 6:32 pm #2

There used to be quite a smorgasbord of bad stats to throw around but Andy Dalton has slowly nibbled away at the choicest items. Those five straight playoff appearances was unprecedented in club history.  (Not to mention the 6-of-7 string if we include the end of Carson Palmer's reign.) Then there's the little things like winning in Denver for the first time in 40-some years last season. What pretty much remains is that (1) they're woeful against the Steelers and (2) they can't win a playoff game.

An exception is the stat you told us about regarding road wins against AFC division winners, excluding their own division. Or did I mangle that one? The last time was 1981 at San Diego, and it's so fitting that there isn't even a franchise in San Diego any more.

Marvin Lewis coaching for so long without a postseason win is just another angle on #2. Among head coaches without a playoff win, he has the most losses at seven.

The best stats will likely be those for owners and GM's, but the scribes don't seem to have them handy for us. We'll have to sort it all out ourselves, it seems.

September 9th, 2018, 9:34 pm #3

Nibble, nibble, nibble. Andy Dalton ends another bad streak. The announcers today told us that the Bengals had not won a road game in Indianapolis (regular season or playoffs) since Boomer Esiason did it back in 1997. But it's small consolation of they still get owned by the Steelers and fail to win a playoff game.

September 10th, 2018, 4:51 am #4

psychostats wrote: There used to be quite a smorgasbord of bad stats to throw around but Andy Dalton has slowly nibbled away at the choicest items. Those five straight playoff appearances was unprecedented in club history.  (Not to mention the 6-of-7 string if we include the end of Carson Palmer's reign.) Then there's the little things like winning in Denver for the first time in 40-some years last season. What pretty much remains is that (1) they're woeful against the Steelers and (2) they can't win a playoff game.

An exception is the stat you told us about regarding road wins against AFC division winners, excluding their own division. Or did I mangle that one? The last time was 1981 at San Diego, and it's so fitting that there isn't even a franchise in San Diego any more.

Marvin Lewis coaching for so long without a postseason win is just another angle on #2. Among head coaches without a playoff win, he has the most losses at seven.

The best stats will likely be those for owners and GM's, but the scribes don't seem to have them handy for us. We'll have to sort it all out ourselves, it seems.
Yeah I think you have correct the amazing stat about road wins against AFC division winners, or pretty close to it.
The last time the Bengals won a road game against an AFC division winner INCLUDING their own division was October 19th, 1995 in Pittsburgh. That is also, I believe the only such victory during the Mike Brown reign of error. I believe Marvin Lewis's record in such games is 0-and-26. You heard it, zero wins in 26 tries. I included playoff games in Marvin Lewis's total. Partly because of the importance of the stat with respect to surviving the playoffs: if you cannot earn home field throughout, you pretty much have to win these sort of games to go to a Super Bowl.

September 10th, 2018, 4:53 am #5

Beating Indy on the road was mostly telling us the difference between Peyton Manning and (so far) Andrew Luck. Manning never lost to the Bengals as a member of the Colts, hence the Bengals didn't win in Indy for a long time. Andrew Luck is 2-2 vs the Bengals so far, including the playoffs.

Confirmation of reply: