Hobson Interviews TO

Hobson Interviews TO

August 7th, 2010, 4:25 am #1

Presumably it really is "all good" when it comes to TO right now. He's happy, his teammates are happy, the coaches are happy, the fans are happy, MBS is happy... Joy oozes everywhere. So under these ideal circumstances, how does our newest receiver handle a cream-puff interview from a sympathetic questioner? Well, it could be better. After all these years, he still hasn't mastered the art of saying all the right things. A few excerpts.

Hobson shills for TO, and TO wallows in it:
GH: What are you? Since you've been down here you seem smart, entertaining, accessible. That doesn't seem to be the majority picture.
TO: Exactly. I think majority rules. That doesn't mean the majority is right. When you have the forum and the voice like some of these major networks and outlets, and they get on TV and bash my character and say all these negative things and, of course, that's what the fans and the audience listens to. They take whatever they say to be true. It's hard to dispel that. I've tried to defend myself when nobody else will. ...
TO gets it right on this one. A little modesty goes a long way:
GH: But you took it to the next level and marketed it.
TO: I don't know if I took it to the next level. I do appreciate the fans. I can only attribute it to their passion for me for things I've done on the football field. I've always played the game at a high level. I've tried to play to the best of my abilities. ...
TO can't quite say the right thing here. He starts to, then backtracks:
GH: Do you regret that stuff (the exile from Philly)?
TO: No I don't. I probably could have done some things differently. I guess had I been more mature there would have been a better way to go about some things. Maybe not being so vocal. As far as my stance, my situation and things that were said from where I stood, I wasn't at fault. ...
TO makes an inadvertent (?) slam on two teammates:
GH: The first week, it seems like a good match. There are a lot of guys on this team, Adam Jones, Cedric Benson, who were basically painted one way in their first couple of stops. They've come here and seem completely different. Maybe they were always like that. But they were portrayed differently. Does that give you a little bit of a boost here?
TO:  I could care less. They can say I'm this way or that way all you want. All I know is go dig up a rap sheet on me and when you find it, come find me. That's what I say.
TO doesn't exactly make his agent look good:
GH: People are saying you're going to be a malcontent if you can't get it. [Incentive for 100 catches.]
TO: I know that's an unreachable goal. It is what it is. Malcontent? Check my statistics. I've had 100 catches one time in my career. One. So go figure.
http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/I ... 3c9e667f7d

I'm not fixated about any individual comment. What I think is interesting is the overall way he handles the questions. Kind of iffy, and it doesn't make you confident that he won't make a big gaff during the season.
Last edited by psychostats on August 7th, 2010, 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 7th, 2010, 12:26 pm #2

I like his answers.
He is right on point...he has only reached 100 catches one time in his career, so why on earth would everyone be waiting for him to explode if he is not getting close to a catches?

As with all ball players, the media drives the perception most of the time.
The modern media...is about 5% professional and 95% journalistic hacks who live for the tabloid news more than the solid story.

http://murfsword.blogspot.com/

August 7th, 2010, 2:13 pm #3

T.O. is a headcase and a diva, and it doesn't take a media conspiracy to show that. Its obvious, and been demonstrated time and time again. Hobson is a prime example of the "journalistic hack" that murf refers to, yet its funny that he doesn't see how Hobson does nothing but stroke Owens' ego and basically try to convey him as a misunderstood guy who has been treated poorly by the media. T.O. invited every bit of the negative attention he has received over his career, regardless of the fact that he has a clean rap sheet.

Another problem child
rescued by "The Redeemer"

August 7th, 2010, 5:21 pm #4

LOL...
You are so predictable.

http://murfsword.blogspot.com/

August 7th, 2010, 9:37 pm #5

Oh, the irony. Always good for a laugh.

Another problem child

August 7th, 2010, 10:20 pm #6

TO may be a headcase and have a huge ego, but he still got 800 yards and some TD's last year when Ryan Freaking Fitzpatrick was throwing to him. Hes got something left in the tank and he seems to have (somewhat) quieted his ego.

Gotta side with Murfenstock on this one.

"Insert witty quotation here"

August 7th, 2010, 10:46 pm #7

I don't disagree that T.O. is a physical beast and that he can still start in this league. My point is that the media did not create any issues for T.O., but rather he used the media to get as much attention as he could and loved every minute of the drama because he's a DIVA. Guys with personality disorders don't just suddenly say: "You know what? I'm tired of being narcissistic and histrionic! Time for me to start acting normal and be a team player!" No one heard much of Owens last year because the Bills get no coverage and are never in the playoff hunt. The cancer factor kicks in when you lose a tough game or you are struggling despite high expectations. Both those conditions will likely come into effect for the Bengals this year, which is why I'm skeptical that T.O. can suddenly become an asset in the locker room for the first time in his life, especially with the group of misfits Mike Brown has collected in Cincinnati. Hobson can write all the warm, fuzzy puff-pieces he likes, but it doesn't change the fact that no other team in the league would even take a flyer on T.O., and for damn good reason. Oh wait, I guess Mike "The Redeemer" Brown must know something that the other G.M.s in the league don't know.

Another problem child

August 8th, 2010, 1:14 am #8

Guys with personality disorders don't just suddenly say: "You know what? I'm tired of being narcissistic and histrionic! Time for me to start acting normal and be a team player!"
Narcissistic Personality Disorder (NPD)? That's where a lot of people go. On the other hand, Paul Zimerman, aka Dr. Z, suspects he has schizophrenia. TO's a diva for sure, but he's also hard to figure.

Putting on my pop-psychology hat...

Recall that post-game press conference in Buffalo last year, the one where the journalist kept trying to bait him. TO held it together, even though he just got through a tough loss. He's a hard worker, stays out of trouble with the law, and keeps in shape to prolong his career. He would have way more problems if Dr. Z had it right.

To have NPD, there has to be more there than craving attention and lacking empathy. But that's all we can really say about TO. That doesn't mean that I expect the man to turn over a new leaf, but maybe it's possible.

August 8th, 2010, 1:56 am #9

A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

(2) is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

(4) requires excessive admiration

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

(6) is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

Another problem child

August 8th, 2010, 3:17 am #10

This is a fun discussion. Let's consider the bolded criteria.

(1) has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)

He's been a great player with great accomplishments. It's hard to say he exaggerates any of it, wildly.

(3) believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

As compared to any NFL player?

(4) requires excessive admiration

Attention-seeking, yes. Requires excessive admiration? What does that look like? He seems fairly content when things are going his way, not complaining and wanting even more.

(5) has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations

He works his tail off, puts his time in, etc. Performs well when given the chance. Granted he always wants the ball, just like all the other skill players.

(7) lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others

No argument here, thinking of the way he snipes at teammates through the media. Even when he's happy, his comments seem to lack consideration for how people might react.

(8) is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her

I'm having trouble thinking of examples. What, he complains of other receivers getting the ball more? Falls back on that easy defense when criticized (they're just being jealous)?

(9) shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

As compared to other prideful players?

TO seems immature and, at times, predatory. He handles disappointment poorly. He lacks empathy. He's a full-fledged diva. But a clinical narcissist? Nah.

Confirmation of reply: