Future Tailback

Future Tailback

January 14th, 2012, 3:45 pm #1

With visions of Alabamas Trent Richardson dancing in everyones head, no one knows if he will be there by the time the Bengals are on the clock at 17. Lamar Miller of Miami (Fla.) is another possibility.

It will be a deep free agent class with all eyes set on Oaklands Michael Bush. The Louisville native has good quickness and is effective between the tackles but odds are the Raiders will place the franchise tag on him.

That leaves Seattles Marshawn Lynch and Justin Forsett, Green Bays Ryan Grant, Atlantas Jason Snelling, San Diegos Mike Tolbert and Clevelands Peyton Hillis among the more prized free agents.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ok, let me be the first to say this..
Richardson is not the answer.
I know, everyone wants to crown him the next great tailback, but when he faced a good defense, he was not that dynamic.
Strong runner, but it is hard to run the ball in the NFL and if you put him in stripes under Marvin, he will be nothing but a Rudi clone...azz sniffing for 1 or 2 yards per carry.

The Free agent list is garbage.
I don't want anyone on that list.

You have Scott as good option right now.
Nobody knows if he can or can't carry the load as an every down back, but that comes back at Marvin and his staff to come up with a game plan to keep him from pounding the ball 25 times between tackles.
Other teams have dynamic backs that are about the same size as Scott, but they use them as SPEED backs and create MATCH UPS to give them an opportunity to be game breakers.

To draft a tailback in the first round in this day and age, is a waste of a pick.
Reggie Bush was the most dynamic back in recent memory...very average in the NFL.
You have more backs that produce in the NFL who were drafted later.

The Bengals need to search for 2 big time play makers in the first round.

http://murf-seriously.blogspot.com/

January 14th, 2012, 4:48 pm #2

Agree100%

January 14th, 2012, 6:12 pm #3

Has anyone ever watched Bernard Scott try to block? It's laughable. No surprise at that. This is still a Mike Brown roster.

There's a reason why this seventh round draft choice doesn't get 30 snaps a game. He's way too one dimensional.

That's especially true for the bungs. The talent level is and has been so low on the O Line for years. They desperately have to depend on the running back and/or tight end to sometimes pick up blitzes, just to keep the quarterback alive.

If it's true that the disappearing ground attack was largely attributable to diminished Cedric Benson skills, then you can add a bruising running back to the critical list of bungle needs. Last year we saw the bungs get humiliated all season long by backing off the run. This year we saw them exposed and humiliated in December when the running game fizzled out.

So the list includes running back, at least two NFL o-linemen, at least one NFL cornerback, at least one legit safety. And it certainly looks like the best can be said of the linebackers is that they sometimes make an argument for NFL mediocrity. They certainly aren't competing for Pro Bowl recognition.

And let's face it. The number two WR receiver on this year's team couldn't even beat out either one of the aged cancers from last year's team.

There's some Sheepish comments floating around the city that the Bungs are a player or two away. That just gives me more delighted hope that the next season will be just as funny as the last 20 or so.

January 14th, 2012, 7:33 pm #4

The last thing Marvin needs is a young power back.

My lord, he hates scoring now, can you imagine if he got his hands on a young power back?

January 14th, 2012, 11:15 pm #5

Dollars to donuts "thehole" takes Isiah Pead by the third or fourth round even though he would still be there in the seventh round, or maybe undrafted.

Stupid Fduckin' Sheep
Stupid Fduckin' Sheep

January 15th, 2012, 12:47 am #6

It would be nice to have a running back who can take it the house from 80 yards out.

"Insert witty quotation here"

January 15th, 2012, 4:15 pm #7

I like Pead..a type of back that we need.

January 15th, 2012, 11:30 pm #8

I still think we need a strong power back - a good north-south runner that can get inside for the tough yards and can take the pounding. This would complement Scott who reminds me of Stanley Wilson as one who can get outside around the edges. Although I like Pead I think he is a back that runs better outside and would not take the pounding in the NFL going inside.

January 16th, 2012, 1:18 am #9

bengalbear, to me it sounds like you're talking about a... bell-cow!

Benson is still a pretty good power back, if you use him properly. Not sure you're going to get better mileage from a new guy.

January 16th, 2012, 2:43 am #10

I'd be looking for someone bigger than Benson - about 6'2 or so and weighing 235 or so who accellerates int the hole - a good first step. I just don't think Benson is the guy for that - he may be past his prime - maybe injuries catching up with him. As Sam Wyche said " A football player can take only so many hits" and a high impact position like that - I'd want someone with durability. I just like a power game with a good tight end (who can also catch the ball) and strong runner - but that's me. Obviously even with that you still need to be able to throw the ball for if in the 2nd half and you are behind a lot the running game will be negated.

Confirmation of reply: