Forum Survival

January 14th, 2018, 10:05 pm #1

Hello All,

Something just occured to me me and I thought it worth a new post. Given all the issues recently with problems loading pages, icons not appearing and the change of ownership of the company behind the forums. What's our fall back position as a community if things go TITSUP (Total Inability To Support Usual Performance) with network54?

The forum software is aging one big problem they may say its not worth the effort to recover.

Does Fraidy have a list of email addresses or even access to create one? Should we start a backup somewhere?

Rob
Last edited by stark99 on January 14th, 2018, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 14th, 2018, 10:59 pm #2

Fraidy runs a tech company so he would know if it's time to make change. There's a lot of debate in the Network54 admin forum about whether it's time to bail or not. The guy who used to run it, "Chris", says not to worry. Many complain about lack of communication, and that seems like a legit beef.

I send an email to Fraidy once in a blue moon, and that's it regarding my connection. He'll see this thread, though.

Things might blow over and we'll see our site migrated to a new location with a different message board system made by Tapatalk. Or not. Like you say, the signs look ominous.

Let's assume for a moment that our message board will have to migrate to a new location with new service providers. Does anybody have any suggestions? I'm familiar with Proboards which would work fine, and it's free with minimal ads.

And Rob, I like your idea of us preparing in some way. The active people here could share email addresses if nothing else. Many of us have already communicated back channel, but not everyone. Feel free to send me an email at psychostats at gmail dot com.

January 14th, 2018, 11:11 pm #3

Hello All,

Something just occured to me me and I thought it worth a new post. Given all the issues recently with problems loading pages, icons not appearing and the change of ownership of the company behind the forums. What's our fall back position as a community if things go TITSUP (Total Inability To Support Usual Performance) with network54?

The forum software is aging one big problem they may say its not worth the effort to recover.

Does Fraidy have a list of email addresses or even access to create one? Should we start a backup somewhere?

Rob
Check this out from Tapatalk. Sounds encouraging:

Tapatalk Groups is 100% compatible with traditional forum systems, and our migration service ensures that all your posts, attachments, pictures and permissions, domain URLs and even Google SEO can be migrated seamlessly. (And of course, you can preview before anything is actually moved). And, you keep full control and ownership of your content!

https://www.tapatalk.com/tapatalk_groups

January 20th, 2018, 9:33 pm #4

Hello All,

Rob
The forum has started loading pages quickly again. The avatars are still an issue, but we may have a new Tapatalk system by the end of the month or early next month. Check this out. Someone posted it over at the admin forum. Fraidy surely received one of these letters about this site:
Dear Network 54 Forum Owner,

Greetings! As you might know, Network54 forums will be migrated to the Tapatalk Groups platform in the near future. With the move to Tapatalk Groups, we will be able to provide your forum stable, fast servers, along with many additional features and options to run your site.

Before your forum moves to Tapatalk Groups platform, we'll provide you a preview of your site so you can review the new layout and to make sure all the data transferred correctly.

Before we prepare your test migration, we need your feedback on two items:

Migrate all your forums into one group or multiple?
As background, Network54 only allows one forum per group. This means that your members need to log in to different groups in order to visit your forums.
We can migrate all your forums into one group, allowing just one sign-in and a full display of all your forums on one page.
Or, if you prefer, we can migrate them into multiple forums
The preferred name of the forum?
In the URL of your Network54 site, your site is identified by a number. In Tapatalk Groups, your site will be in the URL. By example:https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/nameofyourforum.
We will redirect the forums to the new URL
We need the feedback on your preferred name of your site

Can you please respond to this email by January 23 with the following

Migrate all your forums into one group or multiple?
The preferred name of the forum?

If we do not hear back by the January 23rd, we will prepare your preview of your site with our best guess of single or multiple forums, and the best guess of your forum name.

And as one of the top forums in Network54, we like to offer to jump on a call to discuss these options in more detail. Let us know if you like to jump on a call.

--
Customer Success
tapatalk.com

http://www.network54.com/f/44985/thread ... 4-Tapatalk+-
My guess: At some point in the next few weeks we'll go to this site using the same URL and we'll get redirected the new site. There won't be any warning. Just one day it will happen. Presumably all of our old threads and posts will be there, dating back to December of 2000. All 440 pages of threads, as viewed currently on the Network54 system.

January 21st, 2018, 3:09 am #5

Hello All,

Rob
This site is still up? LOL

January 21st, 2018, 5:18 pm #6

Hello All,

Rob
(Login MELT-DOWN)
Re: Forum SurvivalNo score for this post January 20 2018, 7:09 PM

This site is still up? LOL

Score 1 2 3 4 5 (5=Excellent) Approve Message Edit Message Delete Message

Yep, longest running Bengals message board in history lol

January 22nd, 2018, 1:15 am #7

Hello All,

Rob
And here's to another 17 years of hating on Mike Brown.

Because you know he's going to live that long.

January 26th, 2018, 5:33 pm #8

Hello All,

Rob
What you need is a message board that will last at least another 100 years. That is how long Mikey will still be around.

January 27th, 2018, 1:45 am #9

Hello All,

Rob
It only goes to show, I am not the most pessimistic poster on this forum, lol.

Regarding our venerable old forum, I have good news. As a moderator, I received one of those emails from Tapatalk, similar to the one quoted above. (Can only assume the other mods did, too.)

It's going to go like I said: In a couple of weeks or so you'll go to this site and get redirected to the new one. All of our old threads and history will be retained. First they will preform a "test migration" at the end of the month, copying everything over to the new site, to make sure everything checks out. Then they will perform the real migration. Then we will start seeing the redirect.

Fraidy is in the loop now. We get to review the migration before it is finalized.

So don't anybody bail on us. Our forum is still alive and kicking.

January 28th, 2018, 10:33 pm #10

Hello All,

Rob
I’m around as long as Murf is around.

Viva La Trump

Confirmation of reply: