February 4th, 2018, 11:50 am #11

Hello All,

Something just occured to me me and I thought it worth a new post. Given all the issues recently with problems loading pages, icons not appearing and the change of ownership of the company behind the forums. What's our fall back position as a community if things go TITSUP (Total Inability To Support Usual Performance) with network54?

The forum software is aging one big problem they may say its not worth the effort to recover.

Does Fraidy have a list of email addresses or even access to create one? Should we start a backup somewhere?

Rob
Hello All,

First, I'd like to thank Psycho and Storm for their dedication administering the forum. We could not have kept this site going for nearly twenty years without the support of people like them, as well as the participation of the many great members of our online community.

As to the migration, Tapatalk is a widely used, modern web application. It also includes a nice mobile client. I've no doubt that it will work. While the interface/UX will be somewhat different, we'll try to configure it so that it’s as close to the current forums as possible.

What's less certain, IMHO, is the data migration. This board is positively ANCIENT by internet standards. I have no idea what the underlying database/data structures are or what kind of shape they're in. When you consider the long incremental development performed on the Network54 codebase over the years, there could be a lot of inconsistency leading to possible data loss.

On the bright side, Network54 seems genuinely committed to taking care of us. They could have easily closed up shop and go on to other projects. Their continued, direct involvement with the technical teams from Tapatalk is encouraging.

Ultimately, short of creating scripts to scrape the entire forum and then put it into some intermediary format (something that is technically possible, btw, but would be a real bitch given the amount of data we've got), our best bet is to stick with Network54/TT teams through the migration and see what they come up with.

When thinking about MBS.com I’m still astounded by two things – the longevity of the community and how the Bengals STILL haven’t won a SINGLE playoff game!

- FC

February 5th, 2018, 6:25 am #12

Hello All,

Something just occured to me me and I thought it worth a new post. Given all the issues recently with problems loading pages, icons not appearing and the change of ownership of the company behind the forums. What's our fall back position as a community if things go TITSUP (Total Inability To Support Usual Performance) with network54?

The forum software is aging one big problem they may say its not worth the effort to recover.

Does Fraidy have a list of email addresses or even access to create one? Should we start a backup somewhere?

Rob
We are like cockroaches Fraidy.... we will never die ... unfortunately Mike Brown also seems to be a COCKroach too....

February 6th, 2018, 12:58 am #13

Hello All,

Rob
My email is oldschoolerfan@yahoo.com, if you need anything. Just ask.

Also, if anybody has anything INTELLIGENT to say...you can email. Otherwise, yeah don't.

February 11th, 2018, 6:11 pm #14

Hello All,

Rob
Good news. The "test migration" is complete and some of us are checking it out. Looks like everything moved over. There's no specific timetable for the final migration, but presumably that will happen soon.

Storm and BMN, are you checking your emails?

As to the look and feel of the new Tapatalk forum, well... It will take some getting used to, but it's okay. Like growing old, it's much better than the alternative.

Last edited by psychostats on February 11th, 2018, 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 12th, 2018, 2:03 am #15

Hello All,

Rob
Yes, just saw it, new format looks awesome

February 13th, 2018, 4:02 pm #16

Hello All,

Rob
I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to do a "roll call" of who has checked the new format, as a separate thread?

BMN
BMN

February 15th, 2018, 12:51 am #17

Hello All,

Rob
There's probably no need for more than a few people to check out the test migration. The main thing was checking to see if our history moved over. Some things like search aren't even turned on. Hopefully they'll fix the formatting, though.

February 16th, 2018, 1:19 am #18

Hello All,

Rob
Checked it out the other day. The Tapatalk forum doesn't look too bad
Last edited by Bungleistic on February 16th, 2018, 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 16th, 2018, 2:23 am #19

Hello All,

Rob
How did you get the link, Bungleistic?

February 16th, 2018, 2:42 am #20

Hello All,

Rob
I didn't get a link, I just downloaded the Tapatalk app on my IPhone and got on the app and searched "mikebrownsucks" and I saw Mikebrownsucks.com and our posts from here were on there.

Confirmation of reply: