Comp picks

February 27th, 2018, 1:11 am #1

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... ff99ccb129

So The Hobspin is now detailing how that's a valid strategy for free agency. To me compensatory picks are like the Welfare of the NFL, they are given to teams 'down on their luck.'

"A significant portion of the Bengals’ free-agent strategy is based on carefully considering unrestricted free agents so signing them won’t hamper draft compensation..."

The Hobspin here appears to be making the case that somehow the Bengals front office are the 'smartest men in the room', sorry Katie. Like somehow the Bengals have tapped into some great resource that nobody else knows about.

"In exchange for losing right guard Kevin Zeitler the Bengals picked up the last pick of the third round (the 100th selection) to close out Friday night of the draft. They received only a fifth-rounder (170th pick ) for losing left tackle Andrew Whitworth..."

It cost the Bungs a first rounder to acquire Zeitler and he developed into one of the elite guards in the league. They got a third rounder in exchange for losing him. Great math,Mike! I am sure it's not anywhere near the value you could have traded him for the year prior.
It cost the Bungs a second rounder to acquire Whitworth and he developed into arguably THE elite tackle in the league prior to his departure and this past year as well. Again Great math Mike!

The Hobspin opines more useless drivel about how Minter and Burkhead were essentially equal value in the comp formula.
It is easy to argue the Patriots received far more value on the field in Burkhead than the Bengals did in Minter.

So to me what this showing us angry fans, is how Mike Brown is actually NOT CHEAP! It just is simply he chooses to let better players who cost him more go, in order to receive picks in which he can choose players who aren't nearly as good, who cost him a whole lot less.

February 27th, 2018, 1:50 am #2

The bungs will get 4 comp picks this year and one for McCarron tbd for 2019. Will be interesting to see what he does this year - more CB's and WR's perhaps?

February 27th, 2018, 2:08 am #3

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... ff99ccb129

So The Hobspin is now detailing how that's a valid strategy for free agency. To me compensatory picks are like the Welfare of the NFL, they are given to teams 'down on their luck.'

"A significant portion of the Bengals’ free-agent strategy is based on carefully considering unrestricted free agents so signing them won’t hamper draft compensation..."

The Hobspin here appears to be making the case that somehow the Bengals front office are the 'smartest men in the room', sorry Katie. Like somehow the Bengals have tapped into some great resource that nobody else knows about.

"In exchange for losing right guard Kevin Zeitler the Bengals picked up the last pick of the third round (the 100th selection) to close out Friday night of the draft. They received only a fifth-rounder (170th pick ) for losing left tackle Andrew Whitworth..."

It cost the Bungs a first rounder to acquire Zeitler and he developed into one of the elite guards in the league. They got a third rounder in exchange for losing him. Great math,Mike! I am sure it's not anywhere near the value you could have traded him for the year prior.
It cost the Bungs a second rounder to acquire Whitworth and he developed into arguably THE elite tackle in the league prior to his departure and this past year as well. Again Great math Mike!

The Hobspin opines more useless drivel about how Minter and Burkhead were essentially equal value in the comp formula.
It is easy to argue the Patriots received far more value on the field in Burkhead than the Bengals did in Minter.

So to me what this showing us angry fans, is how Mike Brown is actually NOT CHEAP! It just is simply he chooses to let better players who cost him more go, in order to receive picks in which he can choose players who aren't nearly as good, who cost him a whole lot less.

LOL. The Not-Cheapies will claim this is an example of Mikey managing the salary cap in an ineffective manner rather than him not spending against it. I say, stodgy-cheap -- six of one, half-dozen of t' other.

Hobson is on record for claiming that the offensive line derailed the 2017 season. Now here he is bragging on management for getting comp picks for two departed linemen, the two they should have kept because they were their two best linemen from the year before.

Well, sort-of. He admits that their success rate with comp picks is merely so-so. I mean, come on. Ryan Glasgow, Brandon Wilson, Mason Shreck, and JJ Dielman? Glasgow is okay, but everyone else is either a work in progress or off the team.

Confirmation of reply: