Catalog of Mike Brown Excuses

Catalog of Mike Brown Excuses

October 13th, 2008, 12:43 am #1

I'll be off on a business trip for the next few days and probably won't be able to post here. I know that doesn't exactly break any of your hearts, but it bums me out. Oh, what will I do without my daily MBS fix?

So please excuse this long post. I thought it would be worthwhile to review the excuses made by Mike Brown over the past 18 years. (And the excuses made on his behalf.) For each little mini-era, there were dominant themes, excuse-wise.

1992-94: Combined record of 11-27 (0.229)
--------------------------------------------
"We're rebuilding. These things take time."

1995-99: Combined record of 29-51 (0.363)
"We need a new stadium to compete." And heard increasingly toward the end of this span, "We need a bell-cow quarterback if we're ever going to win."

2000-02: Combined record of 12-32 (0.250)
"We haven't enjoyed the increased revenue from the new stadium for very long. Give it a few years." And we still heard, "We need a bell-cow quarterback."

2003-04: Combined record of 16-16 (0.500)
---------------------------------------------
"Marvin Lewis is putting it together, but we'll have to give him a few years."

2005: Record of 11-5 (0.688)
No excuses were necessary. But I recall reading an interview where MB said, "We should be set for years to come." And why not? None of the old excuses applied any longer.

2006-07: Combined record of 15-17 (0.469)
"Injuries, injuries, injuries." And of course there was, "Mike Brown didn't miss that field goal or make that bad long snap."

2008: Record starts out at 0-6. (0.000)
Is there anything he could possibly say now? His bell-cow QB is injured because his offensive line is terrible. He has enjoyed the stadium revenue for eight years. This is Marvin Lewis's sixth year, so the coaching staff has had plenty of time. And can a bad string of injuries every year be attributed to purely bad luck?

But I guess there will always be excuses. Like,"it's the players' and coaches' fault." Sure it is. Mike Brown can just do no wrong. Shame on us all for ever doubting the man.

October 13th, 2008, 12:54 am #2

Nice post

------------------------------------------

October 13th, 2008, 1:31 am #3

I'll be off on a business trip for the next few days and probably won't be able to post here. I know that doesn't exactly break any of your hearts, but it bums me out. Oh, what will I do without my daily MBS fix?

So please excuse this long post. I thought it would be worthwhile to review the excuses made by Mike Brown over the past 18 years. (And the excuses made on his behalf.) For each little mini-era, there were dominant themes, excuse-wise.

"We need a new stadium to compete." And heard increasingly toward the end of this span, "We need a bell-cow quarterback if we're ever going to win."

"We haven't enjoyed the increased revenue from the new stadium for very long. Give it a few years." And we still heard, "We need a bell-cow quarterback."

No excuses were necessary. But I recall reading an interview where MB said, "We should be set for years to come." And why not? None of the old excuses applied any longer.

"Injuries, injuries, injuries." And of course there was, "Mike Brown didn't miss that field goal or make that bad long snap."

Is there anything he could possibly say now? His bell-cow QB is injured because his offensive line is terrible. He has enjoyed the stadium revenue for eight years. This is Marvin Lewis's sixth year, so the coaching staff has had plenty of time. And can a bad string of injuries every year be attributed to purely bad luck?

But I guess there will always be excuses. Like,"it's the players' and coaches' fault." Sure it is. Mike Brown can just do no wrong. Shame on us all for ever doubting the man.
I left the region in 03 but for some insane reason I still want this team to win...just like I want Santa Clause to visit me on Halloween. But what ever happened to the talk I heard before leaving especially on WLW about possible legal action against BrownHole for not holding up his end of the bargain of "putting a competitive product on the field" within a reasonable time frame? Did the locals in Cincinnati just give up and decide Daddy Warbucks wins or what? I live in Texas now so I hear nothing about it here, but do hear plenty of trash about Jonesy here in Irving and how he got the city of Arlington to spring for a zillion dollars for a new stadium after he threatened to move the franchise..HA! Dallas Cowboys...Not even in the city of Dallas or even Dallas County for that matter.
I say let them move their sh***ty teams if that's how they feel because I see no city willing, especially now to foot the bill for a bunch of losers.. But that in itself is a mute point because they all got their new stadiums anyway and who pays in every city? It ain't the Jones or the Browns... It's Joe Taxpayer in almost every case and we see no revenue from any of it.
I no longer pay taxes in that area and sure as hell don't pay taxes to Jonesy here in Irving, but if I were I might be hopping mad and might just protest and picket every game and dare the local police to throw me in jail over it. Here in Irving that request would be honored in a hot minute and probably in Cincy too.

October 18th, 2008, 11:25 pm #4

Thanks, you guys. I meant to get back to this thread...

I don't live in the area and pay the stadium tax, either. As is often mentioned, Mike Brown is incredibly lucky to be sitting on top of a major sports franchise. People are so crazy about the NFL that they will even put up with that guy. And do things like approve obnoxious stadium financing deals. My personal feeling about protesting is that we should keep it light and have some fun. But I understand where you're coming from, mram.

Getting back to the excuses, I know a lot of people must save their favorite stupid Mike Brown quotations. (The excuses at the top of the thread are Mikey-esque, but not actual quotes.) Has anyone ever rounded them up into a single thread? It might be fun to create a little repository that we could refer back to when needed. I'm going to post a few here, once I find them on my computer.

Last edited by psychostats on October 19th, 2008, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 19th, 2008, 1:23 am #5

I can't remember exactly how long ago it was (maybe about 10 years) but my favorite Mike Brown comment/excuse went something like this:

"It's unreasonable for people to think that I just became stupid."

The Hole was actually defending himself after about his first decade of humiliation. His point was that the Bungs had some success in the 1980's, so people shouldn't blame him for the 1990's.

What the dingbat wanted, and wants, to believe is that he had something to do with the teams that his father ran. He didn't.

He was on the payroll, just like his his brother Pete, daughter Katie and son-on-law Troy, for no reason other than his family tree.

No, Mike, you didn't just become stupid. You were born that way.

And judging from Katie's disgraceful public showing in Dallas a couple weeks ago, that acorn didn't fall far from your tree either.

October 19th, 2008, 8:44 pm #6

Thanks, you guys. I meant to get back to this thread...

I don't live in the area and pay the stadium tax, either. As is often mentioned, Mike Brown is incredibly lucky to be sitting on top of a major sports franchise. People are so crazy about the NFL that they will even put up with that guy. And do things like approve obnoxious stadium financing deals. My personal feeling about protesting is that we should keep it light and have some fun. But I understand where you're coming from, mram.

Getting back to the excuses, I know a lot of people must save their favorite stupid Mike Brown quotations. (The excuses at the top of the thread are Mikey-esque, but not actual quotes.) Has anyone ever rounded them up into a single thread? It might be fun to create a little repository that we could refer back to when needed. I'm going to post a few here, once I find them on my computer.

Here are a few from articles I had bookmarked. What I would also like to find is one of the many examples where he favorably compares the Bengals operations with those of the Steelers. Anybody out there have one?

Okay, Mikey-Boy, take it away...

Fromhttp://bengals.enquirer.com/2000/12/02/ ... brown.html :

I probably could retire and they wouldn't have to hold a benefit in my behalf. But I want to have an active life. There are a lot of things about this (game) that are enjoyable, even amid the most difficult of times. ... I would like to put it right, and I think we can.

I am not immune to criticism. No matter what we do, I'm ultimately responsible for it. But I think I understand what criticism really is. It's the opinion of others, and that opinion shifts. It reflects the emotion of the moment. I'm not going to make decisions in my life based on opinions other than my own.

Fromhttp://web.archive.org/web/200107290646 ... 91199.html :

"If you don't have a productive quarterback, you won't go anywhere. That's the way it works in this league. I know it doesn't seem that simple, but it is."

Fromhttp://www.enquirer.com/editions/1998/1 ... b2020.html :

"There's not much I can say to convince people (we're going to turn it around). They've heard it from me -- and they've had it. Until we are successful on the field, I don't expect to hear many good things."

"When I was young and in college, we had advisers who gave us tests that showed where our interests were -- lawyer, accountant, writer, whatever. The adviser said, 'Your results are a straight line. They don't show an interest anywhere.' Football wasn't on the test. That's what interested me."

Fromhttp://bengals.enquirer.com/1997/12/122197_brown.html :

"I'm unhappy we haven't won. The fans are unhappy we haven't won. We understand that. But I don't agree with the media suggestions for correcting it. ... We feel we've got people here who have the knowledge."

"I'm used to it. I've been criticized for 30 years."

"To say what the coaches put into the decision is minor, or they don't get their way most of the time is wrong. People would be surprised at how little I'm involved. I only interject when I feel it's necessary."

"If you have the bell cow quarterback, it works. You have to have the key guy. If you don't have the key guy, it doesn't matter. ... The system, changed (to free agency), but one thing that didn't change was you still had to line up with a key player or two. Look at San Francisco (Steve Young), Dallas (Aikman), Miami (Marino), Denver (John Elway). They were good before and after the system. I'm not disparaging other players because you need as many good ones as you can get. But the quarterback is the key guy. Look at Buffalo this year."

"When people talk about scouting, it's a red herring for people who don't know what they're talking about. We have all the information everybody else has. There are no secrets. When the Broncos got (running back) Terrell Davis in the sixth round, it wasn't like he wasn't on our board. We talked about him. If they were so sure fire smart, why didn't they take him in the first round? We have the same record as the Rams and they have (eight) scouts."

Fromhttp://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... 1D7742F908 :

"I have a good relationship with Marvin. He has a good relationship with Katie, Paul and Troy. I think it works well."

"I had a significant part in the operation earlier than people were aware of. I would never have done something I thought was contrary to [my father's] wishes. I don't remember thinking much differently. He brought me up to think like him, and I pretty well did."

"I was talking to a guy who was retired and I asked him how he could stand being retired. What do you do? And he said,'I don't do anything.' How do you stand that, I could never do that, and he said, 'If I had your job, I wouldn't retire, either.' That's about right. I don't think of it as work. I would pay to do it."

Please add others if you have them.

EDIT: Changed obsolete link to Bengals.com to current.
Last edited by psychostats on December 6th, 2010, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 20th, 2008, 1:16 am #7

...and this one time at band camp

October 20th, 2008, 1:26 am #8

Rest assured Mikey will be all over the fact that Palmer became injured. You can add that to this years excuse.

October 20th, 2008, 1:11 pm #9

I know, theydey, and the s#!++y thing is that some announcers buy that $#!+ hook, line and sinker. I caught the final snaps of the game yesterday and heard the CBS announcer, whoever it was, rambling incessantly about how much of a different team it is without Palmer, etc etc. Not that that isn't true to a degree, but I was talking back at the TV: "yeah, different team....instead of losing 38-10, the Bengals would have lost 38-20. Big difference."

But you know Mike will cling to that excuse the way Linus clings to his security blanket.

BMN
BMN

October 20th, 2008, 2:35 pm #10

your absolutely right BMN. I heard that same junk as well. The Dallas TV stations have had about 3 bungs games on down here so far this year. For some reason people still have respect for the bungs offense. Not sure why. They are so misinformed.

Confirmation of reply: