January 23rd, 2018, 5:18 pm #61

I'll be off on a business trip for the next few days and probably won't be able to post here. I know that doesn't exactly break any of your hearts, but it bums me out. Oh, what will I do without my daily MBS fix?

So please excuse this long post. I thought it would be worthwhile to review the excuses made by Mike Brown over the past 18 years. (And the excuses made on his behalf.) For each little mini-era, there were dominant themes, excuse-wise.

1992-94: Combined record of 11-27 (0.229)
--------------------------------------------
"We're rebuilding. These things take time."

1995-99: Combined record of 29-51 (0.363)
"We need a new stadium to compete." And heard increasingly toward the end of this span, "We need a bell-cow quarterback if we're ever going to win."

2000-02: Combined record of 12-32 (0.250)
"We haven't enjoyed the increased revenue from the new stadium for very long. Give it a few years." And we still heard, "We need a bell-cow quarterback."

2003-04: Combined record of 16-16 (0.500)
---------------------------------------------
"Marvin Lewis is putting it together, but we'll have to give him a few years."

2005: Record of 11-5 (0.688)
No excuses were necessary. But I recall reading an interview where MB said, "We should be set for years to come." And why not? None of the old excuses applied any longer.

2006-07: Combined record of 15-17 (0.469)
"Injuries, injuries, injuries." And of course there was, "Mike Brown didn't miss that field goal or make that bad long snap."

2008: Record starts out at 0-6. (0.000)
Is there anything he could possibly say now? His bell-cow QB is injured because his offensive line is terrible. He has enjoyed the stadium revenue for eight years. This is Marvin Lewis's sixth year, so the coaching staff has had plenty of time. And can a bad string of injuries every year be attributed to purely bad luck?

But I guess there will always be excuses. Like,"it's the players' and coaches' fault." Sure it is. Mike Brown can just do no wrong. Shame on us all for ever doubting the man.
"But we’re coming off a run of playoff years and they began to see that as the bare minimum. Well, maybe for them it is. For most people in this league, it’s a pretty solid achievement"

So there you have it. Mikey is happy with the team the way it is and it looks like he will make a casual attempt (half a$$ed?) attempt to win or get deep in the playoffs. This confirms what I said in an earlier thread that the bungs will be a middlin type team and occasionally make the playoffs like Buffalo and teams like that. If a deep run falls in his lap he'll take it but based on his attitude the odds of getting to a SB are real remote at this stage.

July 28th, 2018, 1:39 am #62

How on God's Green Earth does Mike Brown come to be "a little more patient"? As stated endlessly, he already makes the biblical Job seem more than a little bit antsy. So get a load of what he said recently regarding the retention of Marvin Lewis. (Like that decision was a even surprise, by the way.)

Bold added by me:

“We have been through ups and downs,” Brown said of Lewis. “We have had times when we didn’t agree on things yet we would work through it. I know last year didn’t satisfy our public. I know the year before didn’t. We had five pretty good years before that.

"I think I know that the success and failure in this business isn’t always the head coach. He’s a big part of it but he’s not all of it. I think that’s true when you succeed and when you are maybe a little short of what you want to be. I have come to be a little more patient. Maybe I am not right. There are people who think that way. I’ve put my bet down. We will see how it turns out.”

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports ... 829559002/
Forget the "I've put my bet down" part. Mike Brown actually claims that he's grown to be more patient!

It's been a few years since we've gotten such a good quote from MB during the team's annual media luncheon.They  serve the mock turtle soup and we find something to mock from the man's words. Among all the great examples in this thread, though, including the non-luncheon variety, nothing tops this. Mike Brown becoming more patient. As if it were even possible. One would have to be a stone statue to be any more patient than our favorite owner has been since 1991.

July 30th, 2018, 6:32 am #63

"Maybe I am not right." -- nope, you are not. ever. 

July 30th, 2018, 3:19 pm #64

"I think I know that the success and failure in this business isn’t always the head coach. He’s a big part of it but he’s not all of it."

FIXED IT.

Confirmation of reply: