March 13th, 2011, 6:33 am #31

I'll be off on a business trip for the next few days and probably won't be able to post here. I know that doesn't exactly break any of your hearts, but it bums me out. Oh, what will I do without my daily MBS fix?

So please excuse this long post. I thought it would be worthwhile to review the excuses made by Mike Brown over the past 18 years. (And the excuses made on his behalf.) For each little mini-era, there were dominant themes, excuse-wise.

1992-94: Combined record of 11-27 (0.229)
--------------------------------------------
"We're rebuilding. These things take time."

1995-99: Combined record of 29-51 (0.363)
"We need a new stadium to compete." And heard increasingly toward the end of this span, "We need a bell-cow quarterback if we're ever going to win."

2000-02: Combined record of 12-32 (0.250)
"We haven't enjoyed the increased revenue from the new stadium for very long. Give it a few years." And we still heard, "We need a bell-cow quarterback."

2003-04: Combined record of 16-16 (0.500)
---------------------------------------------
"Marvin Lewis is putting it together, but we'll have to give him a few years."

2005: Record of 11-5 (0.688)
No excuses were necessary. But I recall reading an interview where MB said, "We should be set for years to come." And why not? None of the old excuses applied any longer.

2006-07: Combined record of 15-17 (0.469)
"Injuries, injuries, injuries." And of course there was, "Mike Brown didn't miss that field goal or make that bad long snap."

2008: Record starts out at 0-6. (0.000)
Is there anything he could possibly say now? His bell-cow QB is injured because his offensive line is terrible. He has enjoyed the stadium revenue for eight years. This is Marvin Lewis's sixth year, so the coaching staff has had plenty of time. And can a bad string of injuries every year be attributed to purely bad luck?

But I guess there will always be excuses. Like,"it's the players' and coaches' fault." Sure it is. Mike Brown can just do no wrong. Shame on us all for ever doubting the man.
He's gone and done it again. Our guy was interviewed by Joe Reedy about the player lockout, and few asides were real beauts.

First off, are there any non-family members left who still own shares in the Bungs? If there are, then they're screwed. We already knew that, but this would be quite the advertisement. Reedy's question in bold. Mike Brown's answer below it, with emphasis added. From Hobson's transcript:
If there is a protracted lockout that goes into summer or early fall, how is the health of this franchise to others? Can you ride it out longer than others?

I don't know I can tell you how strong others are. I can merely tell you our franchise has built up a considerable reserve. We have not paid one dime to our shareholders since we've operated in Paul Brown Stadium beyond what was necessary to pay taxes. We have put money where we would need it if we came to this kind of situation. We've had concerns for a long time that we could get to where we are now and we are prepared for it.
Then comes comes this fine exemplar of denial. Don't you know, the Bungs have been "better than most" these past half-dozen years? Same format as before:
You and Ralph (Wilson) voted against the CBA five years ago. Do you think the fellow owners have realized where you are financially?

I don't think owners sit around worry about how owners voted five years ago. They know what they voted on. Right now people recognize what we did was a step too far and we are trying to get our situation such where it works for the teams going forward. The teams need to be economically healthy if they are to keep on employing people including players. You can only pay out what you take in for so long and we don't want to get into that situation. The public should want a healthy team because they want a competitive team and you cant be competitive unless you're financially strong to compete. We are.

We've been up and down over the last six years. I think we've done better than most as far as getting into the playoffs. They keep throwing figures out that you haven't done as well as you should but recently we've done fairly well. I wish it was better. I wish we would've gotten into the playoffs and won more. That bothers us. We have not had a record that is unacceptable over the last half dozen years. I wish it was better but it was in many ways getting into the playoffs better than most. You need to be economically healthy in order to do that (14 of the 32 teams have won more than one division title in past six years)
Links:

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/M ... a2b080ff53

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2011 ... posal-fair

March 13th, 2011, 4:20 pm #32

Amazing how people can erect partitions in their brains between reality and delusion. Mikey's got the perfect fortress of rational denial.

Mikey is cleverer than you think.

March 15th, 2011, 1:19 am #33

"We have not had a record that is unacceptable over the last half dozen years"

0-2 in playoff games is acceptable?

------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB

March 15th, 2011, 5:51 pm #34

"We have not had a record that is unacceptable over the last half dozen years" - spinmaster 'hole

Mikey can't even bring himself to say "We have had a record that is acceptable over the last half dozen years" because he knows that nobody would buy that steaming pile of BS. No, he has to use a double-negative to make the same statement somehow palatable. What a douche.

"Even before I got there they said the owner was a little different. Obviously I saw that." - T.O.

March 16th, 2011, 4:13 am #35

More reason to believe that Mike Brown is, ahem, "not unintentionally trying to antagonize the fans". Just as Storm has been saying all along, but not unlike Brown himself might put it.

October 16th, 2011, 2:28 am #36

I'll be off on a business trip for the next few days and probably won't be able to post here. I know that doesn't exactly break any of your hearts, but it bums me out. Oh, what will I do without my daily MBS fix?

So please excuse this long post. I thought it would be worthwhile to review the excuses made by Mike Brown over the past 18 years. (And the excuses made on his behalf.) For each little mini-era, there were dominant themes, excuse-wise.

1992-94: Combined record of 11-27 (0.229)
"We're rebuilding. These things take time."

1995-99: Combined record of 29-51 (0.363)
"We need a new stadium to compete." And heard increasingly toward the end of this span, "We need a bell-cow quarterback if we're ever going to win."

2000-02: Combined record of 12-32 (0.250)
"We haven't enjoyed the increased revenue from the new stadium for very long. Give it a few years." And we still heard, "We need a bell-cow quarterback."

2003-04: Combined record of 16-16 (0.500)
"Marvin Lewis is putting it together, but we'll have to give him a few years."

2005: Record of 11-5 (0.688)
No excuses were necessary. But I recall reading an interview where MB said, "We should be set for years to come." And why not? None of the old excuses applied any longer.

2006-07: Combined record of 15-17 (0.469)
"Injuries, injuries, injuries." And of course there was, "Mike Brown didn't miss that field goal or make that bad long snap."

2008: Record starts out at 0-6. (0.000)
Is there anything he could possibly say now? His bell-cow QB is injured because his offensive line is terrible. He has enjoyed the stadium revenue for eight years. This is Marvin Lewis's sixth year, so the coaching staff has had plenty of time. And can a bad string of injuries every year be attributed to purely bad luck?

But I guess there will always be excuses. Like,"it's the players' and coaches' fault." Sure it is. Mike Brown can just do no wrong. Shame on us all for ever doubting the man.
He's done it again. A new instant classic from Mike Brown. I'm looking forward to the commentary from my fellow MBS inmates, either in this thread or another.
Do you like the resiliency of this group? There have been some years where one play would affect this team ...

I would differ with you. This is a close league, and your question isn't an unfair question. We have played five games, they have all been one-play games. Switch around one play, and it goes the other way. We've won three; we've lost two. We could have won five; we could have lost five. Last year, if you look at it closely, there were a lot of games that were one-play games, but, honest to God, we lost almost every one of them. The year before we won them. I don't know you can say there's a reason for that other than someone drops the ball or somebody steps out of bounds or misses their assignment on that play, and it's a key play that turns it all around. It is a very close run thing, this league. Except when you get the two or three top teams, maybe its three or four, that have established veteran quarterbacks who drive their team to a high level.
I'd love to hear BA rant on that one. And Hook, here's one for you, from earlier in the interview. Immediately before, actually:
When you look at the talent on this team, one of the knocks is your ability to find talent.

I think the talent speaks for itself. We have good talent, and, yes, I think we find them. The number of new, young players on our team - by that, I don't mean just rookies but guys 1-2 years into it - is disproportionate, and they are showing well. We've acquired some guys in free agency - (Thomas) Howard comes to mind, (Nate) Clements is helping us so we've gotten some help there. Look at our defensive line, they are 2- to 3-year-old-in-the-league guys with a couple who are veterans like (defensive linemen Frostee) Rucker and (Jonathan) Fanene. None of them are 30 years old. It's a very, very young team, and the thing that, if you're around, that is noticeable, is the spirt is good. They are a sparky group and are beginning to believe in themselves, and that's what you want.
Links:

Reedy --  http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2011 ... xt|Bengals

Hobson --  http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... f2a48d7fd1

Last edited by psychostats on October 16th, 2011, 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

October 16th, 2011, 4:28 pm #37

HONEST TO GOD, we lost almost every one of them. I swear, Psycho, we really did. What else can I say to convince you?

The mikester comes out guns blazing: "Our attendance is off, and it's a result of having had a terrifically disappointing season a year ago."

Really? Nothing to do with a terrifically disappointing 20 years of mikehole leadership? And WTH does "terrifically disappointing" mean anyway? Is it terrific because in spite of the fans' "disappointment", mikey still makes terrific amounts of money?

$$$

"The vignette lasted only a minute out of the initial one-hour show, but reinforced perceptions of how the organization is run. When the owner offers his "wild thought," everyone speaks carefully -- or not at all -- so as not to contradict the boss."
"The vignette lasted only a minute out of the initial one-hour show, but reinforced perceptions of how the organization is run. When the owner offers his "wild thought," everyone speaks carefully -- or not at all -- so as not to contradict the boss."

October 16th, 2011, 4:40 pm #38

There was the letter from the county about the stadium of which the team hasn't commented on. In terms of improvements, a new playing surface is planned for next year ...

I'm not going to get into that here. There are things being discussed. We've carried our full load with this thing. Believe me, we have. We've made a lot of improvements here at our expense without saying anything, and we're not looking to make the problem difficult for the county. We want to make it succeed in every way, and it's important for us that it succeeds for the county. We are a renter, and if you rent an apartment and suddenly the stove goes bad, well, you have to get the stove fixed and normally the landlord is the one who fixes the stove. It's no different here. Things do change as you go through time. There are new things that come on; everyone knows what they are. Scoreboards are the big issue currently. Ours seems to work well enough at the moment. I hope it can continue to do so.

Speechless...

October 16th, 2011, 4:54 pm #39

He sounds like a typical politician

October 17th, 2011, 2:45 am #40

Honest to God, Family Circle, I'm right there with you.

Remember that video from the preseason, the one where Mikey-Boy says, "we were bad, and I plead guilty"? It made me wonder if he was listening to his PR guy. Now with this "honest to God" business he's back to old form. Denial.

The least relevant, most consistently bad team in the league for 20 years, and honest to God, we just needed a play switched around here or there!

Confirmation of reply: