Catalog of Mike Brown Excuses

bronco
bronco

October 20th, 2008, 4:03 pm #11

""When people talk about scouting, it's a red herring for people who don't know what they're talking about. We have all the information everybody else has. There are no secrets. When the Broncos got (running back) Terrell Davis in the sixth round, it wasn't like he wasn't on our board. We talked about him. If they were so sure fire smart, why didn't they take him in the first round? We have the same record as the Rams and they have (eight) scouts."

that about sums it up right there...

If you read between the lines, this is what he is saying. In the draft all NFL teams have access to the same players. It doesnt matter how we rate them or who we select, its all coming from the same pool. Our scouting department has the same info as the Rams. Therefore, if the Rams select 8 players that start for their team in 4 years and we have zero players that play for us in 4 years, the drafts were the same because we all have the same info and can draft the same players.

Of course, this is a ridiculous assertion. The hilarious thing is that people (like Murf) buy into this crap and fail to blame upper management for the draft choices and free agents we get.

Murf will always use the Redskins as a barometer of how not to do free agency. The problem with his line of thinking is that there are 20 other teams that handle free agency well and it improves them.

We draft like sh!t, we play like sh!t, we are coached like sh!t and our owner/upper management are so far in over their heads, they don't know a football from their a$$holes.

Murf is right in that the players deserve some blame. Then again, do you really blame the kitten if you choose to throw a kitten into a cage with an alligator? LOL
Last edited by broncobux on December 15th, 2008, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

October 20th, 2008, 6:33 pm #12

"If they were so sure fire smart, why didn't they take him in the first round?"

Because they could get him in the 6th, dumbazz!!!!!!!! Jesus Christ--what a f*cking retard. Why overpay somebody? Only in MFBworld does this statement make sense.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

October 21st, 2008, 6:26 am #13

Rest assured Mikey will be all over the fact that Palmer became injured. You can add that to this years excuse.
theydey:
"Rest assured Mikey will be all over the fact that Palmer became injured. You can add that to this years excuse."

BMN:
"But you know Mike will cling to that excuse the way Linus clings to his security blanket."

Agreed. I'm sure he'll say something to that effect at the end of the season. The media interview he'll give will have great stuff in it, I'm sure.

On that note, I'd like to go back to the Bengals.com interview with MB for a second. Regarding the 1978 team that started out 0-8 and finished 4-12, remember that QB Kenny Anderson broke a finger in his hand during the preseason. Asked if Tiger Johnson might have otherwise taken the Bengals to the Super Bowl, MB said:

"I think he would have. It was just tied to that one event."

Yeah, sure it was. If they had truly been a top tier team, they wouldn't have fallen apart like that. Anderson was back by Game 5, admittedly not at full strength, but come on, 4-12? I'm telling you guys, all this crud started that year.

October 22nd, 2008, 1:27 am #14

"We have a team that, if we're playing right, can compete in this league but we haven't been playing right," Bengals president Mike Brown said "I wish I could put my finger on the reason why. I don't know if there is just one reason, there's probably more than one." -mikehole brown

"The fans will always search for some individual to blame when a team isn't winning." -mikehole brown

VIVA 0-16!

October 22nd, 2008, 7:54 am #15

""We have a team that, if we're playing right, can compete in this league but we haven't been playing right," Bengals president Mike Brown said "I wish I could put my finger on the reason why. I don't know if there is just one reason, there's probably more than one." -mikehole brown

"The fans will always search for some individual to blame when a team isn't winning." -mikehole brown"

Yeah, Mikehole. I just wonder who that individual is. I'm going back to that Cheech & Chong bit:

Gameshow Host: "The question is--what is YOUR NAME?!?!?!?!?!? 30 seconds, Mikehole....."

Mikehole (stoned off his azz gripping Washingtons): "Waita minute--I know that one, maaaaaannnnnn!!!!!"

Gameshow Host: "20 seconds, Mike F. Brown...."

Mikehole: "Naaahhhhh man--gimme a minute!!!! GIMME A MINUTE!!!!"

Gameshow Host: "10 seconds, Mikehole Brownstain....."

Mikehole: "Bob Whatshisface, maaaaaannnnnnnn"

Gameshow Host: "5 seconds, Dickhole....."

Mikehole: "Oh yeahhhhhhh man--Michael F. Brown"

You got it, SCHMUCK!!!!!!!!! har har.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

December 15th, 2008, 4:42 am #16

I'll be off on a business trip for the next few days and probably won't be able to post here. I know that doesn't exactly break any of your hearts, but it bums me out. Oh, what will I do without my daily MBS fix?

So please excuse this long post. I thought it would be worthwhile to review the excuses made by Mike Brown over the past 18 years. (And the excuses made on his behalf.) For each little mini-era, there were dominant themes, excuse-wise.

1992-94: Combined record of 11-27 (0.229)
--------------------------------------------
"We're rebuilding. These things take time."

1995-99: Combined record of 29-51 (0.363)
"We need a new stadium to compete." And heard increasingly toward the end of this span, "We need a bell-cow quarterback if we're ever going to win."

2000-02: Combined record of 12-32 (0.250)
"We haven't enjoyed the increased revenue from the new stadium for very long. Give it a few years." And we still heard, "We need a bell-cow quarterback."

2003-04: Combined record of 16-16 (0.500)
---------------------------------------------
"Marvin Lewis is putting it together, but we'll have to give him a few years."

2005: Record of 11-5 (0.688)
No excuses were necessary. But I recall reading an interview where MB said, "We should be set for years to come." And why not? None of the old excuses applied any longer.

2006-07: Combined record of 15-17 (0.469)
"Injuries, injuries, injuries." And of course there was, "Mike Brown didn't miss that field goal or make that bad long snap."

2008: Record starts out at 0-6. (0.000)
Is there anything he could possibly say now? His bell-cow QB is injured because his offensive line is terrible. He has enjoyed the stadium revenue for eight years. This is Marvin Lewis's sixth year, so the coaching staff has had plenty of time. And can a bad string of injuries every year be attributed to purely bad luck?

But I guess there will always be excuses. Like,"it's the players' and coaches' fault." Sure it is. Mike Brown can just do no wrong. Shame on us all for ever doubting the man.
Just thought I would update the thread with the latest stupid quotations. This is in regard to MB's recent interview with the Cincinnati Enquirer and Bengals.com (December 1).

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 312010050/

"It is hard to have success in this league without your key players. Were playing with literally less than half of the people we thought would be our starters. We lost Carson Palmer, who is our linchpin player. We lost our best defensive player before the season started, (linebacker) Odell Thurman."

"I think things would take a quantum leap forward if we had Carson Palmer back on the field and playing the way he can play."

"I call them themes. They (fans and customers) like to talk about different themes when things dont go well. Part of being in this job, the good side of the coin is it shows the emotional connection the fans have with this football team." [On the calls to hire a GM.]

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/C ... 14aa5d4182

"I would tell you we lost our best defensive player before the season started. We were counting on (Odell) Thurman as a starter and he fell by the wayside. Our linebacker corps we expected to play with were Thurman, (Keith) Rivers and (David) Pollack."

"In many ways [Marvin Lewis] has done an incredibly good job. Our players still try hard and that's hard to come by when you go through all the losing this team has gone through. But he has them out there trying to the best of their abilities. At least in my eye. And on this point my eye counts."

"We all saw what was going on. It wasn't somebody telling me something and it just wasn't me. The coaches saw what I saw and that was a decision made by the coaching staff and I was involved in it." [On Willie Anderson being cut.]

"I wish we had an explanation for it. It is a problem. We are looking for a solution." [On injuries and the long IR list.]

"It's an interesting thing in Cincinnati. The fans and the Bengals have a love-hate relationship. When we're doing well, we ride high. And when we're not doing well, then we get kicked around some. I think what that reflects is an emotional connection they have with us."

"We were not hitting on all cylinders early in the year. I think we could have worked through it and got back up and been OK."

"That's a little bit misunderstood [size of the personnel department]. We have more people there than they seem to be able to count. Paul and Pete (Brown). Bill and Duke Tobin. For some reason they never count Bill. He covers the whole Southeast for us, and that's one of the most important areas we have. And we have Jim Lippincott and Greg Seamon. It really is about the same number that a number of teams have. We get adequate information for college players. "

"Marvin and I've had a good relationship. We've had an ability to stay on the same message. Except for that one case [Chris Henry re-signing] ... in my mind it's behind us now. If you've got further concerns on that kind of thing you'll have to call the New York Giants who have an 11-1 record and their guy, who has taken the role over of NFL bad guy."

And much more. Mike Brown was in top form during this interview.

EDIT. Updated obsolete link from Bengals.com.
Last edited by psychostats on December 6th, 2010, 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 15th, 2008, 12:22 pm #17

"When the Broncos got (running back) Terrell Davis in the sixth round, it wasn't like he wasn't on our board. We talked about him. If they were so sure fire smart, why didn't they take him in the first round? "

This shows just how ignorant he really is

------------------------------------------

December 15th, 2008, 7:30 pm #18

After looking at his overall record, three things are certain about Mikey:

1. The players he has drafted have not been good enough to win a superbowl

2. The coaches he has hired are not skilled enough to win a superbowl

3. What else matters?

"The American Cancer Society says uninsured patients are 60 percent more likely to die within five years of their diagnosis."

December 6th, 2010, 3:31 am #19

I'll be off on a business trip for the next few days and probably won't be able to post here. I know that doesn't exactly break any of your hearts, but it bums me out. Oh, what will I do without my daily MBS fix?

So please excuse this long post. I thought it would be worthwhile to review the excuses made by Mike Brown over the past 18 years. (And the excuses made on his behalf.) For each little mini-era, there were dominant themes, excuse-wise.

1992-94: Combined record of 11-27 (0.229)
"We're rebuilding. These things take time."

1995-99: Combined record of 29-51 (0.363)
"We need a new stadium to compete." And heard increasingly toward the end of this span, "We need a bell-cow quarterback if we're ever going to win."

2000-02: Combined record of 12-32 (0.250)
"We haven't enjoyed the increased revenue from the new stadium for very long. Give it a few years." And we still heard, "We need a bell-cow quarterback."

2003-04: Combined record of 16-16 (0.500)
"Marvin Lewis is putting it together, but we'll have to give him a few years."

2005: Record of 11-5 (0.688)
No excuses were necessary. But I recall reading an interview where MB said, "We should be set for years to come." And why not? None of the old excuses applied any longer.

2006-07: Combined record of 15-17 (0.469)
"Injuries, injuries, injuries." And of course there was, "Mike Brown didn't miss that field goal or make that bad long snap."

2008: Record starts out at 0-6. (0.000)
Is there anything he could possibly say now? His bell-cow QB is injured because his offensive line is terrible. He has enjoyed the stadium revenue for eight years. This is Marvin Lewis's sixth year, so the coaching staff has had plenty of time. And can a bad string of injuries every year be attributed to purely bad luck?

But I guess there will always be excuses. Like,"it's the players' and coaches' fault." Sure it is. Mike Brown can just do no wrong. Shame on us all for ever doubting the man.
Bump. We should be hearing again from MB fairly soon. Why not warm up for it by reviewing his old comments?

A couple more memorable comments since we left this thread:

On the prospect of signing Michael Vick:
"When you have a situation like ours, he's a very difficult fit. Quarterbacks are like queen bees. You can only have one of them before they start stepping on each other and we have ours."

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs/co ... _vick.html
On the signing of Terrell Owens:
"You know, there's a lot of commentary about people who are in the public eye, and some of it is way overboard. Some of it is from people who don't really know the situation. And yes, people can make mistakes. It doesn't mean that they go on the rest of their lives making mistakes. They can get their ship pointed in the right direction."

http://www.bengals.com/media-lounge/vid ... 2ea03ae263

December 7th, 2010, 12:16 am #20

Yes, we should. But he's gonna take his sweet *** time. My predictions:

On the overall state of the franchise: "In this business, you have ups and downs. What people don't understand is that this league is extremely competitive. Last year was an up year. Unfortunately this year we had some setbacks".

On the Bungs going (hopefully) 2-14: "Again, we did have some setbacks. But I was very pleased with the way we competed and fought through adversity. Most of the games we lost were extremely close".

On not firing Marvin: "You know, in this league it's become trendy to fire coaches at the first sign of trouble. And I understand that some fans are frustrated and want to lash out and lay the blame at his feet. But I respect Marvin as a professional and understand the magnitude of the adversity he's faced this year. I can respect the fans' desire for 'action' but I refuse to make personnel decisions based on emotion and other people's opinions. We have a system in place - a good system - that's worked well for us in the past."

On Brat: "There are a lot of so-called 'arm-chair' quarterbacks out there. What they don't understand is that we employ the best offensive thinkers in the league. We have knowledge about which plays to run and which systems to implement that the average fan doesn't grasp. Unfortunately the players we had in place this year weren't able to execute as well as we would have liked. I didn't hear anyone complaining about Bob last year when we went to the playoffs. It's just another "theme" that we'll have to deal with..which in a way is good. It's a sign that the fans are emotionally connected to the team".

On dwindling attendance: "This year has been a tough year, no doubt. Definitely not what we would have hoped for. I understand the frustrations that many fans are feeling and that surely has been reflected in the lack of sellouts we've had recently. Unfortunately, in these tough economic times people have had to make hard choices. The good news is, we still have a very supportive fan base".

I could do "On Hiring a GM" but that would be too easy...anyway, let's keep this train rolling. Who else wants to play mikey?

"The vignette lasted only a minute out of the initial one-hour show, but reinforced perceptions of how the organization is run. When the owner offers his "wild thought," everyone speaks carefully -- or not at all -- so as not to contradict the boss."
"The vignette lasted only a minute out of the initial one-hour show, but reinforced perceptions of how the organization is run. When the owner offers his "wild thought," everyone speaks carefully -- or not at all -- so as not to contradict the boss."

Confirmation of reply: