Back to the Future

Back to the Future

June 4th, 2012, 2:11 pm #1

As long as you hit that wire with the connecting hook at precisely 88 miles an hour, the instant the lightning strikes the tower... everything will be fine...

Does any of this seem familiar? I mean, where do you think we're heading here?

As long as Rey's foot healed and he's sober...
or if not, as long as Burfict will behave himself...
As long as AJ Green doesn't get hurt...
or if not, as long as some other WR is somehow uncoverable...
As long as Dalton is the real deal...
or if not, as long as Gradkowski plays well in relief...
As long as Taylor Mays develops the way he should...
or if not, as long as that 5th round power forward does what he can do...
As long as some credible #2 receiver gets open...
or if not, as long as Gruden adjusts the scheme to Gresham and the other TE...

...everything will be fine...

Don't bet your future on one roll of the dice. Isn't Mikey's goal 8-8?

Mikey is cleverer than you think.

June 5th, 2012, 4:18 am #2

Yep, the third time in... seven long years that the Bungs have a chance to make the playoffs in back-to-back seasons. And this feels like an embarrassment of riches because there were no playoff appearances in the previous 14.

2006 Offseason Outlook --

The Bungs had two knuckleheads at receiver, Bob Brat running the offense, and Chuck Bresnahan running the defense. Law-breakers were running around everywhere. The o-line had no depth, especially at center (Eric Ghiaciuc).

2010 Offseason Outlook --

The Bungs had two diva knuckleheads at receiver and Bob Brat running the offense. One of the divas, Terrell Owens, was a known chemistry-buster. Marvelous Marv decided to get away from what worked the year before (hand off to Bell-Cow Benson) and go with Air Bratkowski. There were fewer knuckleheads with off-field problems, but still too many. An aging Dhani Jones anchored the center of the defense. They desperately needed another decent guard.

2012 Offseason Outlook --

I just don't see the same kind of problems. Maualuga needs to play like he did early last season, before his ankle injury. Somebody has to step up at strong safety, like Taylor Mays. Otherwise, things look encouraging. No large brigade of knuckleheads. Both lines look strong with depth. No dependencies on sunset players or stiffs.

I guess we'll see.

June 6th, 2012, 3:21 am #3

Illuminating opinion as always, psycho. And excellent points, all. But of all people I expected you to pick up on the 88s...

And the only problems I can see would be injuries to Dalton or Green, or Dalton regressing.

Please don't go 8 and 8.

This is better than Groundhog Day. Hopefully we can get our hands on that almanac.

Mikey is cleverer than you think.

Confirmation of reply: