Attack of the Drones

Attack of the Drones

July 24th, 2012, 12:01 pm #1

http://www.startribune.com/local/163304 ... =y&refer=y

Apparently thousands of drones are being flown above our heads as the government polices its citizens in the US. However, for the first time a citizen has been arrested via drone use. Apparently some farmer in North Dakota was charged with stealing a cow. LOL.

And our border with Mexico is unpatrolled, why again?

I like what this guy had to say in the article. "If you are concerned about it, maybe there is a reason we should be flying over you, right? said Douglas McDonald, the company's director of special operations and president of the unmanned vehicle trade group. "But as soon as you lose your kid, get your car stolen or have marijuana growing out at your lake place that is not yours, you would probably want one of those flying overhead."

So with a vote of hands, who opposes the use of these drones? Let's see how many non-law abiding citizens we have out there. So with a show of hands, how many "terrorists" do we have here at this site?

Big Brother loves you.

July 24th, 2012, 12:28 pm #2

This is the kind of thing we should ALL be worried about. Being controlled by the government is not something the American people would stand for if it occurred overnight. But if we relinquish control by repeatedly ignoring individual attacks on our privacy and freedom such as this it won't seem so bad. Then when our Orwellian world comes full circle and the government controls everything and everybody it won't hurt so bad because we will have become apathetic or numb to it all after selling our souls to become Stepford citizens.

July 24th, 2012, 12:59 pm #3

The question is do you want the goverment to monitor your every move?
No, I dont for one.

The governent has no right to monitor and spy on its citizens. This is just another step towards the police state. The excuse used is I will want drones if someone is growing weed or steals my car. No, I dont think so my personal privacy and freedoms is far more important to me than my car or weed being grown.

BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING.

July 24th, 2012, 4:02 pm #4

JB and I are on opposite ends of the political spectrum on everything but this on which we completely agree.

people always assess their own performance as "above average" even people who, when tested, actually perform at the very bottom of the pile. [Incompetent People Too Ignorant to Know It]

July 24th, 2012, 4:28 pm #5

Apparently thousands of drones are being flown above our heads as the government polices its citizens in the US. However, for the first time a citizen has been arrested via drone use. Apparently some farmer in North Dakota was charged with stealing a cow. LOL.

I like what this guy had to say in the article. "If you are concerned about it, maybe there is a reason we should be flying over you, right? said Douglas McDonald, the company's director of special operations and president of the unmanned vehicle trade group. "But as soon as you lose your kid, get your car stolen or have marijuana growing out at your lake place that is not yours, you would probably want one of those flying overhead."

So with a vote of hands, who opposes the use of these drones? Let's see how many non-law abiding citizens we have out there. So with a show of hands, how many "terrorists" do we have here at this site?

Big Brother loves you.
There was never an issue with helicopters flying overhead, but now make them unmanned and they becomes a privacy issue?

July 24th, 2012, 10:55 pm #6

I agree this is a concern, but since when is the Mexican border not patrolled?!!? The southern border is absolutely patrolled, and heavily patrolled in some areas.

This is one of those issues that most people (except Homey) agree needs to change, but since everyone (except perhaps Homey) knows that neither party will do anything about it, it gets ignored.

Here's a crazy thought: What if someone who would otherwise vote for Obama (say me, as an example), takes a pact with someone who would otherwise vote for Romney (say JB, as an example) and they agree to vote third party (say Libertarian) rather than cancel each others vote out?

That way you won't be hurting your preferred mainstream candidate, or said another way, you won't be aiding the candidate you don't want to see win, because the two votes would have been cancelled out anyway.

It's sort of a twist on the whole 'don't waste your vote' credo. Instead of 'wasting' it by having your vote cancelled out by someone else, you can combine your vote with someone else's to send a message that you think Washington is doing a terrible a job and that both parties are more interested in self preservation and donor $ than helping the American people.

It would actually double the impact of your vote, without affecting the outcome of the election (unless the 3rd-party candidate should happen to win, which is unlikely and presumably not a bad thing anyway).

What do you guys think? Smart idea, stupid idea, not likely to catch on? It seems like it might be a good way for people that want to vote 3rd-party but are afraid of throwing their vote away to have their cake and eat it too, so to speak.

"We do do, and we do it at a very, very high level," Lewis said.

July 24th, 2012, 10:56 pm #7

There was never an issue with helicopters flying overhead, but now make them unmanned and they becomes a privacy issue?
I'm concerned but what can you do? the world we live in today is all about spying and being spied on, you are constantly being videotaped in public whether it be in a convenience store or driving through a red light, I work in peoples homes while they are away and I'm sure I have been videotaped without my knowledge, not saying the whole life on film is good or bad but its here to stay.

We just had GPS devices installed on our work trucks, they know where I am at all times and my boss is the biggest micro manager of all time, I hope its a long way off but I can only imagine what its going to be like when they merge live video with the GPS, I think I would have a real big problem with that

------------------------------------------
In Memory of Dunn4QB

July 24th, 2012, 11:04 pm #8

It doesn't matter who wins - there will be deadlock in congress no matter what and nothing will get resolved. Anyone who votes for Romney thinking he will rescue the dollar will be disappointed. They (anyone) want to keep interest rates low to keep the interest expense on the debt low and the $ weak so we can repay the debt in cheaper $'s. It's a lose lose situation.

theydey
theydey

July 25th, 2012, 1:21 am #9

Personally, I think I will vote Libertarian from here on. Both parties have shown their arses for too long for me to vote for either of them again. All I can say is vote your conscience.

If you ask me, this seeming agreement between both left and right here is a good sign. After all, what both parties survive on is demonizing the other party. That way you pick a side and attack the other to the death while alawys saying that you are picking the lesser of two evils. To do this you need to make distinctions between rich and poor, gay and straight, atheist and religious, liberal and conservative etc, so as to divide and conquer. After all, if we all came to the realization that there are no real differences between the two parties and that everyone should be treated the same, would you vote? Hell no you wouldn't.

So as we see with Obama we have seen with "W". Massive entitlements being enacted, massive taxpayer spending, wars abroad etc. There is no real difference here.

July 25th, 2012, 1:52 am #10

Big Brother loves you.
CIN, nice jabs, I can laugh. Not saying this can be an issue, but what is the difference between a helicopter patrol or an unmanned craft. Maybe there are points I am missing, but with things like an EPA whose goal it is to bankrupt American industries, a president who is negotiating away the 2nd amend to the UN, uncontrolled illegal immigration, 15 trillion debt, uncontrolled lawyers running roughshod, this just seemed like small potatoes, and I am usually the paranoid one.

"The southern border is absolutely patrolled, and heavily patrolled in some areas. "
Please cancel your Obama weekly email newsletter.
Last edited by HomerSaysDoh on July 25th, 2012, 2:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Confirmation of reply: