AJ McCarron - Lemme Outta Here

AJ McCarron - Lemme Outta Here

January 2nd, 2017, 11:57 pm #1

He wants to start somewhere. That said, there is 1 year left on his contract, and he makes $735,413. That's not a lot of money for Mike Brown to pay for a very good backup. If Mike's Queen Bee Andy goes down, then Mike Brown will want a good, serviceable backup. QB is one position Mike Brown cares about. I admit I'll miss him, but I totally understand why he wants out.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/ ... /96082642/
Last edited by KaBTK on January 2nd, 2017, 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 3rd, 2017, 12:42 am #2

So the question is still, who is interested in McCarron?

We like him for what he did in 2015 filling in for Dalton, but I don't think that fans of other teams are impressed.

Hue Jackson supposedly likes him, but he has the first pick in the draft and another first rounder. And division rivals don't trade quarterbacks.

McCarron doesn't have a cannon for an arm and isn't a big physical specimen. I suspect that teams would rather take their chances in the draft.

January 3rd, 2017, 1:15 am #3

He wants to start somewhere. That said, there is 1 year left on his contract, and he makes $735,413. That's not a lot of money for Mike Brown to pay for a very good backup. If Mike's Queen Bee Andy goes down, then Mike Brown will want a good, serviceable backup. QB is one position Mike Brown cares about. I admit I'll miss him, but I totally understand why he wants out.

Good or better arm than Dalton. Has more swagger. Not as good at check down and progressions and more riverboat gambler. Probably better long ball. Not as functional in offense but bigger play capability. Big game swagger much better than Andy.

January 3rd, 2017, 1:30 am #4

My dead grandmother has more swagger than Andy Dalton and to me it is the reason he will never take the bumblers deep into the playoffs,very rarely beat the schittsburghs and New England's of the NFL.Absolutely zero killer instinct
Last edited by 72360 on January 3rd, 2017, 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 3rd, 2017, 1:32 am #5

Higher ceiling lower floor than Dalton, Candy Dalton has proven he is not a big game QB, trade Dalton and roll with AJ, rebuilding anyway so why stick with Dalton?

January 3rd, 2017, 1:34 am #6

There's no way they will trade Dalton, no way Mikey would give up that continuity at the QB position.
Last edited by Bungleistic on January 3rd, 2017, 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

January 3rd, 2017, 1:56 am #7

The following teams need a good stating quarterback:
- Cleveland
- New York Jets
- Denver
- Chicago
- San Francisco

The following teams are feeling pretty iffy about their starter:
- Jacksonville
- Washington
- Minnesota
- Los Angeles
- Miami

The following teams have aging starters that they know they will have to replace within a few short years:
- New England
- San Diego
- New Orleans
- Arizona

Forget about AJ McCarron for a second. How many of these franchises are looking for a guy like Andy Dalton? We all know the answer - 0.0%.

What percentage of their fan bases would like to see a guy come in who's in the Dalton mold? Given the variety of people out there, let's be generous and say 2.0%.

Dacow, I pretty much agree with your assessment. Dalton keeps improving with the long ball, and McCarron will get better progressing through his reads. They're basically the same quarterback. McCarron has more swagger and Dalton has a lot more experience.

So who wants to trade for less experienced version of Andy Dalton? And what good would it do to keep the less-experienced guy?

January 3rd, 2017, 1:14 pm #8

To clarify with Washington they like Cousins, but they gambled by not signing him long term so he may be too expensive for them now. If I am someone like the Broncos or Texans I go after Cousins. All of these teams mentioned other than the Redskins would see Dalton as an upgrade at QB, but to an original point it is not likely thst any of these teams other than the one coached by Hue Jackson will see AJ as an upgrade or any kind of higher ceiling type. If the Bengals are rebuilding they should make the QB changet and will get much better return for Dalton. If they trade McCarron they maybe get a 3rd round pick back at BEST.

January 4th, 2017, 12:44 am #9

Nobody has ever traded a QB at the stage of Dalton's career but I think it would be the boldest possible move.

In advanced passing stats at Pro Football Reference McCarron's performance last year was about as good as Dalton's career average. Last year was a huge outlier for Dalton. He's already "over the hill" in football years and he's basically been - even taking last year into the averages - a slightly above average QB.

McCarron is the same guy physically but with more cockiness. He already led one late game winning drive in a playoff game if not for a stupid fumble prone running back and some hotheads on defense.

If they dealt Dalton and signed McCarron to a team friendly extension it would free up $$$. And it likely would yield a first day draft pick and more.

A bold team would think about it. The Bengals are the opposite of bold.
===============================================
1991-2017 the putrid reign of Mikey Brown:
Record in Prime Time: 12 wins, 33 losses (0.267)
Record vs the Steelers: 14 wins, 42 losses (0.250)
Record vs AFC Playoff Teams: 32 wins, 116 losses (0.216)

January 4th, 2017, 3:04 pm #10

Houston would take him. So would Jacksonville.

Confirmation of reply: