A Continual Continuation of Continuity: 2018 Offseason

June 30th, 2018, 8:34 pm #41

How did I miss this one from back in January? Worth quoting full. Brings back memories. Bad memories. MB used to say this kind of thing all the time.
Mike Brown: Bengals have as much talent as the Steelers
Bryan DeArdo - 247sports - Jan 29, 9:15 AM

Mike Brown's Bengals have lost six consecutive games to the Steelers.

Despite Pittsburgh's recent mastery over his team, Cincinnati's owner does not believe that there is a talent discrepancy between the Bengals and Steelers heading into the 2018 offseason. After going 12-4 in 2015, Brown's Bengals have endured consecutive nine loss seasons. The Steelers are coming off a 13-3 regular season that included a second consecutive season sweep over Cincinnati.

“In my heart of hearts we should have done a little better than we did (in that game),” Brown told Bengals.com about Cincinnati's Week 13 loss to the Steelers that saw the Bengals blow a 17-point lead. “But I don’t have the feeling the player level was the determining factor in the game. Things conspired against us. I believe our talent level is equivalent to Pittsburgh, equivalent to Baltimore. Cleveland is on the way up. Don’t misjudge.”

While the Steelers boasted an NFL best 10 Pro Bowl selections this season, Brown isn't terribly off in his team's talent assessment. Cincinnati does have one of the NFL's best receivers in A.J. Green along with talented defensive linemen Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins. The Bengals' defense also boasts linebacker Vontaze Burfict and defensive backs Dre Kirkpatrick, William Jackson, Shawn Williams and George Iloka.

Offensive talent is where Cincinnati falls short against the Steelers, as Pittsburgh clearly has a better starting running back (Le'Veon Bell), quarterback (Ben Roethlisberger), and offensive line that included three Pro Bowlers this year in Maurkice Pouncey, Alejandro Villanueva and David DeCastro. The Bengals finished 26th in the NFL in scoring, 27th in pass yards, 31st in rushing and 32nd in total offense last season.

Brown also addressed the reason to bring back Marvin Lewis for a 16th season after many speculated that Lewis and the Bengals would part ways after the 2017 season.

“I made the call for more than one reason,” Brown said. “It gives us our best chance to be successful this coming season. Marvin gives us continuity. That’s important in this league. I also made the call because I felt he deserved consideration for all the time and effort he has put in here. He’s been our head coach for 15 years. That ought to be to his credit.

“In my book (this season) was an aberration.  I think it’s correctable. I think we can rebound quicker with Marvin than with anybody else … I think he deserved to be back because he’s put a lot of his life here and that matters to me.”

https://247sports.com/nfl/cincinnati-be ... 114355816/
My outrage meter must be broken. Or maybe all this stuff just blends together after a while.

July 2nd, 2018, 2:51 pm #42

"...Brown's Bengals have endured consecutive nine loss seasons..."

It would have been 11 losses, but the Bungles get the benefit of playing the Browns twice a season. Not everybody gets that kind of guaranteed success.

"...and defensive backs Dre Kirkpatrick, William Jackson, Shawn Williams and George Iloka..."

Who, who, who, and WHO?!?!?!?!?!?!? WTF????

"Marvin gives us continuity."

Yes, he sure does. Nice corp speak, Mikey.

"In my book (this season) was an aberration..."

Really, Mikehole?!?!?!?!?!? You must be ignoring history. Most of us don't. It's called learning lessons. You call it being cheap and lazy. Loyalty Clause my azz. You just don't wanna go through the headache of hiring somebody else.

THAT'S CALLED REAL WORK.

I'd be pissed if I were still a fan of this team.

July 15th, 2018, 1:01 am #43

Here a scribe makes a pretty obvious recommendation, a move the team has already said it will make.

1 Move Each NFL Team Should Make Before the Regular Season Begins
Gary Davenport - Bleacher Report - JULY 12, 2018

NFL teams are constantly in motion. Moves are always being made—even in the offseason.
Players are being added and jettisoned. Offensive and defensive schemes are being tweaked. Players are jockeying up and down draft charts.

In Cleveland, that's called Tuesday morning.

Whether it's the Browns taking a buzzsaw to a tomato can or the Philadelphia Eagles making a tweak or two to a championship roster, every team is making multiple changes this offseason.

Whether pretender or contender, every franchise, from Phoenix to Boston and all points in between, has at least one more move it should make before games start to count in September. ...

Cincinnati Bengals: Give the Keys to Joe Mixon
7 of 32

In a perfect world, the Bengals would make another move to shore up the offensive line. But the world, much like the team's offensive front, is far from perfect. The free-agent linemen still available are so for a reason, and swinging a trade for one is nigh-impossible without wildly overpaying.

Instead, Cincinnati should try to buy extra time for Andy Dalton by establishing a more consistent rushing attack.
As Jay Morrison wrote for the Dayton Daily News, Bengals offensive coordinator Bill Lazor believes Joe Mixon has all the tools necessary to be a complete tailback.

"The thing I wanted to challenge Joe to be is a complete back, to be able to do everything," Lazor said. "And I think he has the talent to do that. He has the smarts to do it. He wants to do it. So that's his challenge."
Cincinnati needs Mixon to be that—and it has to give him a chance to do so.

Giovani Bernard is a fine third-down back, but a lack of continuity is part of the reason the Bengals had the worst rushing offense in the AFC last season (85.4 yards per game). It was Mixon, then Bernard, then Jeremy Hill, then Bernard and then Mixon. The running game lurched all over the place.

Get Mixon a steady diet of touches, and things will improve. Watch.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/278 ... son-begins

No, no, no. It was totally about that horrid offensive line last season. Playing Mixon is the right move, though. He will be the new bell-cow. It's already baked in the cake.

July 16th, 2018, 2:24 pm #44

I know one thing I have in common with Marvin Lewis--I hate woman beaters. Just saying.

Confirmation of reply: