February 27th, 2018, 2:49 am #21

This gem of a quote is just too good to leave buried in the hot seat thread. From the Bengals Beat Podcast on January 2nd:
[32:24] This is who this who this organization is. They value continuity. They value loyalty. They believe in just doing the job better if they feel like they have the right people. And that's what won out here.

What won out was comfort and continuity. I think Mike Brown would be fine if Marvin Lewis is the last coach he ever sees, and he never has to fire another coach. I think we might have learned that today.

You just can't have more obvious chances to just move on than you had in '11 and you had today. It can't be more obvious. You can't have a bigger hit over the head.
[33:20].

https://audioboom.com/posts/6576635-ben ... is-is-back
I'm sure you recall our protracted 2016 offseason continuity thread where the scribes, local and national, continually reminded us of Mike Brown's beloved feeling for... well, continuity. And then there was our 2017 offseason continuity thread which tracked the continuation of the message.

Then came the end of the 2017 season and a brand new contract for Marvin Lewis. This led to the reaction quoted in part above. The scribes were admittedly "shocked" to discover that maybe, just maybe, Mike Brown really and truly does value continuity after all. Who could have imagined?

And now it is time to continue our own tradition and add to this, our 2018 thread.
These things hide in all the nooks and crannies of the sports sites. This, from a slideshow.
NFL post-Super Bowl power rankings
USA Today - February 6, 2018

25. Bengals (23): Continuity is generally a massive factor in building and sustaining success in the NFL. Every rule has its exceptions, though. Tommy Gilligan, USA TODAY Sports

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-galler ... 110154286/
Yes, you can have too much of a good thing.
Last edited by psychostats on February 27th, 2018, 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 27th, 2018, 2:56 am #22

This gem of a quote is just too good to leave buried in the hot seat thread. From the Bengals Beat Podcast on January 2nd:
[32:24] This is who this who this organization is. They value continuity. They value loyalty. They believe in just doing the job better if they feel like they have the right people. And that's what won out here.

What won out was comfort and continuity. I think Mike Brown would be fine if Marvin Lewis is the last coach he ever sees, and he never has to fire another coach. I think we might have learned that today.

You just can't have more obvious chances to just move on than you had in '11 and you had today. It can't be more obvious. You can't have a bigger hit over the head.

I'm sure you recall our protracted 2016 offseason continuity thread where the scribes, local and national, continually reminded us of Mike Brown's beloved feeling for... well, continuity. And then there was our 2017 offseason continuity thread which tracked the continuation of the message.

Then came the end of the 2017 season and a brand new contract for Marvin Lewis. This led to the reaction quoted in part above. The scribes were admittedly "shocked" to discover that maybe, just maybe, Mike Brown really and truly does value continuity after all. Who could have imagined?

And now it is time to continue our own tradition and add to this, our 2018 thread.
A twofer from Cincy Jungle counting the subheading.
Free agency do or don’t: Understanding a potential second contract for Russell Bodine
John Sheeran - Cincy Jungle - Feb 25, 2018, 10:00am EST

Continuity at all cost

That experience ties in to this last point. Bodine and Boling where the only offensive lineman to play over 75% of the offense’s snaps. In general, teams do not go far in a season if they experience constant changes up front, and continuity was severely lacking on the Bengals offensive. Injuries, bad play, and experimentation all played a role into this, and it’s something the Bengals figure to prioritize this upcoming season.

https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/2/25/1 ... ell-bodine

February 27th, 2018, 3:30 am #23

If it's now cool to refer to continuity, well... I don't know what to make of that.
NFL Post-Mortem: The 2017 Cincinnati Bengals
Dan Wickline - Bleeding Cool - February 21, 2018

n a somewhat surprising move, the Bengals decided to keep head coach Marvin Lewis for a 16th season, attributing the decision to a desire for continuity. At some point a team and coach just need to go different directions, and that may be the case here, but the Bengals aren’t ready to make that call. They did let defensive coordinator Paul Guenther go when his contract expired, bringing in Teryl Austin, the former DC in Detroit. But the biggest news may be that A.J. McCarron has won his grievance against the team and will be an unrestricted free agent when the 2018 season starts. McCarron has backed up Andy Dalton for the last few years at quarterback and had played well when called upon. Now the team not only doesn’t get any compensation for the player, but they have to find a new backup, likely having to spend a draft pick in a year where many teams are expected to go after quarterbacks. The Bengals will likely have to reach on talent or spend an early pick on a backup when they have needs on both sides of the line of scrimmage.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/21 ... i-bengals/

March 16th, 2018, 2:16 am #24

Katherine Terrell is at it again. Following her recent bell-cow entry she shows up with another continuity reference.
Bengals' trade for LT Cordy Glenn shows they're open to change this offseason
Katherine Terrell - ESPN  NFL Nation - Mar 13, 2018

The Cincinnati Bengals may never be the team that shocks the league with a major signing or significant change in how they operate. However, this offseason has shown they’re willing to bend a little.

The Bengals' trade for Bills left tackle Cordy Glenn ...

Parting ways with longtime offensive line coach Paul Alexander... adding well-respected coaches like former Cowboys offensive line coach Frank Pollack, former Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin and former Packers quarterbacks coach Alex Van Pelt. ...

They also informed veteran cornerback Adam Jones they wouldn’t be picking up his option ...

That’s a lot of change at once for an organization that prides itself on continuity. While the Bengals probably won’t show up in September with a totally new look, it would be impossible to stay stagnant with so many new voices in the meeting rooms this year.

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcnorth/post/ ... -offseason
But as noted in her blog post, Marvin Lewis is still around, making this on the whole a very continuitous offseason.

March 16th, 2018, 1:57 pm #25

Ditching Alexander was the one move that interested me the most as far as "change" goes - Mike likes his coaches to be cheap and loyal.  I wonder how long it'll be before they start hating him in Dallas - will probably take a few busted draft picks first.

March 17th, 2018, 2:12 am #26

If the Dallas line regresses at all this year, their fans will be hating on Alexander in no time. Give it till the end of October.

April 5th, 2018, 11:33 pm #27

Catching up, and we now have a few left over from March.
Bengals To Re-Sign Tyler Eifert
Sam Robinson - Pro Football Rumors - March 15th, 2018 at 1:49pm CST

Entering his age-28 season, Eifert has missed 41 of a possible 80 regular-season games since coming to Cincinnati. He missed 14 games last season and eight in 2016. But his 2015 work likely garnered him this opportunity from the continuity-centric organization. Eifert amassed 615 air yards and scored 13 touchdowns — the most by any tight end that season. And Eifert missed three games that year.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/ ... ler-eifert
A continuity-centric organization? I wish I had wrote that. It's like the organization is swirling down the continuity drain.

April 5th, 2018, 11:56 pm #28

You'll get a bang out of this one. But also note the subtitle:

How Marvin Lewis survived 2017 for a 16th season with the Bengals
Everyone thought a 7-9 finish was the end for Lewis after 15 seasons in Cincinnati.
Thomas George - SB Nation - Mar 27, 2018, 7:25am EDT

Brown decided continuity was better than an explosion. Brown knows and trusts Marvin Lewis. Brown knows not any coach can flourish under the Bengals’ deep family directions and franchise philosophies. And Brown saw the finish last year, a string of three consecutive losses to Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Minnesota followed by stirring victories over Detroit and Baltimore, shocking playoff-killing defeats for both.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/3/27/ ... easons-how
No, no, no! Not everyone thought Marvin Lewis was a goner this offseason. (See thread here.)

Continuity is better than a lot of things to Bungles management, especially when it involves avoiding change.

Speaking of change and explosions, who could ever forget this little duet sung by Mike and Marvin after the 2007 non-winning season? Marvin's message to the team was to "blow the whole thing up and start over again" or something like that.

Mike:

You say GM and I say eff 'em,
You say big change and I say loose change;
GM, eff 'em, big change, loose change,
Let's blow the whole thing up!

Marvin:

You, like, don't care and I like fresh air,
You like to lose and I sing the blues;
Don't care, fresh air, we lose, sing blues

Mike:

But oh! If we blow the whole thing up,
Then we must part.
And oh! If we ever were to part,
Then we would lose our heart!

Marvin:

I like rules strict and you like convicts,
I say discipline and I get dissin' sin
Rules strict, convicts, discipline, dissin' sin,
Go your way, I'll go mine.

Unison:

If Marv goes for grass fields and Mike goes for mud fields,
All right, no contest, we'll practice on mud fields.
For we know we need each other so we,
Better blow the blowing up up,

April 6th, 2018, 12:01 am #29

Speaking of swirling down the continuity drain...

NFL power rankings: Bengals among league's worst after free agency
Chris Roling - Bengals Wire - March 30, 2018 6:00 am ET

While the Bengals have made some notable roster improvements by spending more than usual, the power rankings judge the team as a whole — and although the front office values continuity, those in charge of power rankings do not.

https://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2018/0 ... ee-agency/
Same old story. Great at continuity. Terrible at winning.

April 6th, 2018, 2:31 pm #30

From your other thread:

"The national scribes keep putting Marvin Lewis on the imaginary hot seat. He continues to keep his job. Another year goes by. The Bungles again fail to win a playoff game. Another spate of commentary arrives heralding his warm backside. Nary a peep of factual evidence accompanies the drivel. Mike Brown remains monolithic, unbending, unyielding. The cycle repeats itself, again and again and again."

It was worth repeating.

Confirmation of reply: