October 9th, 2014, 5:14 am #91

I heart this thread, Psycho. Very nice.

October 11th, 2014, 7:34 am #92

I heart it more

March 8th, 2015, 3:50 am #93

<font face="new times roman" size="3">No fan is an island, entire of itself.
Each is part of the main, a piece of the rock.

If by the sea the clods be washed away, or the bluff crag,
or thine friends home, or thine friends themselves,
Bengaldom is more the less.

Each loss burdens me, as I am involved in hob spin.
And so, ask not for whom the bell-cow lows.
It lows for thee. Moooooooo!

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What could possibly be more tedious than waiting for yet another NFL draft? Football-wise, it's by far the most excruciating time of the year. Might as well seize the opportunity to honor one of our very own MBS members. To be prepared especially for you, Belko -- an exhaustive catalog of Geoff Hobson bell-cow-isms. Periodically updated into perpetuity.

A current search on Bengals.com brings up 70 instances of the term. Rather than making one long post, I thought I would break things up into multiple entries. That way, I can add a dozen or two at a time, and return later when circumstances permit. The plan is to number each quotation for future reference. First set of entries to follow shortly.
Another Jeremy Hill reference! This one slipped in not long after the Super Bowl. And here we are almost at the 5-year anniversary of this thread, during the endless lead-up to the draft.

INSTANCE 119 --- Hobson's Choice: more issues and answers (posted Feb 3, 2015)
And they've got to find a way to get Gio the ball more in open spaces and on linebackers. I mean, Shane Vereen isn't half the back Gio is and the Pats coaches made him look like Marshall Faulk in the Super Bowl with 11 catches. Hill may be the bell cow next year, but Bernard is still going to get a lot of key touches as the change-of-pace guy. If Hill gets 15-to-20 touches a game, Gio gets 8-11. The only question is how. I think Hue uses him a lot more in the pass game this year. With Gresham expected to be gone, I'm going to write in Gio for 60 catches.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/H ... 875ebf3d1b

August 20th, 2015, 9:09 pm #94

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What could possibly be more tedious than waiting for yet another NFL draft? Football-wise, it's by far the most excruciating time of the year. Might as well seize the opportunity to honor one of our very own MBS members. To be prepared especially for you, Belko -- an exhaustive catalog of Geoff Hobson bell-cow-isms. Periodically updated into perpetuity.

A current search on Bengals.com brings up 70 instances of the term. Rather than making one long post, I thought I would break things up into multiple entries. That way, I can add a dozen or two at a time, and return later when circumstances permit. The plan is to number each quotation for future reference. First set of entries to follow shortly.
Here we go. I don't see any reason why the Jeremy Hill References won't come fast and furiously if he has a big year. A positively brutish bell-cow if ever there was one.

INSTANCE 120 --- Hill, Beckham bring star power (posted Aug 11, 2015)
But what about Beckham’s LSU buddy, close friend and last year’s fellow NFL Rookie of the Year finalist Jeremy Hill, the Bengals’ bell cow running back? As balletic as Beckham was down the stretch, Hill was as brutish in leading the NFL in rushing the last nine weeks of the season.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/H ... ce51362201

August 21st, 2015, 4:17 am #95

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

The thread that keeps on giving.

August 21st, 2015, 6:23 am #96

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

....how in the hell didn't Hill get ROTY last year? That guy was a beast and came into play something like Week 5, right?

Just think if he started every game.

Lemme guess--press being partial to Cowboys, Giants, Steelers, etc. and impartial to Bungles?

I can see their point....but still.

Last edited by oldschoolerfan on August 21st, 2015, 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 7th, 2015, 12:03 am #97

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

It's so nice to be getting regular bell-cow references again, especially from Hobson's Choice columns.

INSTANCE 121 --- Hobson's Choice: roster buzz (posted Sep 3, 2015)
BRIAN: Thanks for reading. You’re right about them not having a bell cow behind Hill, but they could certainly piece together enough carries among Burkhead, Bernard, and Peerman to get those carries. But I guess it would come down to how long you didn’t have Hill. You could do it for a month, but beyond that? I don’t see James Wilder, Jr., or Terrell Watson making the club, but I could also see them getting claimed if they try to get them to the practice squad. I would imagine they’d like to get both on the squad. It’s virtually impossible to make a trade with a guy like Watson, an undrafted rookie that figures to get cut. The sense is they think Peerman is too valuable to lose on teams.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/H ... ae39e21576

September 9th, 2015, 6:40 pm #98

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

now he is mouthing off at not having a bell cow for a back-up???? That is simply hilarious...

September 13th, 2015, 11:02 pm #99

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

Just take me out back and shoot me! I completely missed a couple of bell-cow references over the summer. This screws up my ordering, but that had happened already. The instances are numbered in the order that we find 'em...

We might have our first instance of a special teams bell-cow.

INSTANCE 122 --- Camp bubbles up (posted Aug 9, 2015)
Williams took a lot of snaps Saturday in place of Nelson and he’ll get a load over the next four games. After three seasons they seem to want to find out if Williams can play from scrimmage. He’s already a special teams bell cow. It would appear Keo and Smith are hooked up for that last safety spot with Keo’s experience giving him an edge. Smith does make plays, though. His interception Saturday got waved off because of Dawson’s sack.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/C ... 5d6267d906

INSTANCE 123 --- 'On to Chicago' (posted Aug 26, 2015)
The execution, particularly in pass protection, was poor. Then again, there was no full-blown game plan. Jackson only called on his coveted running game eight times and his bell cow, Jeremy Hill, ran it just four times when the first group was in there.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/O ... 9bb16ea1ba
Last edited by psychostats on September 14th, 2015, 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

September 13th, 2015, 11:05 pm #100

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

Does Hobson even know he writes this all the time?

Reminds me of Matt Millen constantly saying "bloody their noses" during the Ohio State/Hawaii game yesterday. If it was part of some drinking game, I might have passed out drunk.

Confirmation of reply: