A Bellicose Bellowing of "Bell-Cow" for Belko

March 23rd, 2012, 2:36 am #71

<font face="new times roman" size="3">No fan is an island, entire of itself.
Each is part of the main, a piece of the rock.

If by the sea the clods be washed away, or the bluff crag,
or thine friends home, or thine friends themselves,
Bengaldom is more the less.

Each loss burdens me, as I am involved in hob spin.
And so, ask not for whom the bell-cow lows.
It lows for thee. Moooooooo!

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What could possibly be more tedious than waiting for yet another NFL draft? Football-wise, it's by far the most excruciating time of the year. Might as well seize the opportunity to honor one of our very own MBS members. To be prepared especially for you, Belko -- an exhaustive catalog of Geoff Hobson bell-cow-isms. Periodically updated into perpetuity.

A current search on Bengals.com brings up 70 instances of the term. Rather than making one long post, I thought I would break things up into multiple entries. That way, I can add a dozen or two at a time, and return later when circumstances permit. The plan is to number each quotation for future reference. First set of entries to follow shortly.
It's a sad, sad time in Bengaldom. For you see, Geoff Hobson has declared the bell-cow concept to be officially dead.

INSTANCE 110 --- Bengals get a hold of Green-Ellis (posted Mar 21, 2012)
The bell cow concept keeled over on the Paul Brown Stadium field and died with Benson's second fumble of the Christmas Eve fourth quarter against Arizona.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... d89fb3b438
May it forever rest in peace.

At this time of intense mourning, I would like to present a reading.
No longer mourn for me when I am dead
Then you shall hear the surly sullen bell [cow]
Give warning to the world that I am fled
From this vile world, with vilest worms to dwell [now].

From William Shakespeare, Sonnet LXXI
And yet we shall steadfastly maintain our vigil, staying in the ready, and faithfully coral any stray bell-cows that might wander through the Bengals.com pasture.

EDIT: Corrected count.
Last edited by psychostats on July 8th, 2012, 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 22nd, 2012, 4:16 am #72

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What could possibly be more tedious than waiting for yet another NFL draft? Football-wise, it's by far the most excruciating time of the year. Might as well seize the opportunity to honor one of our very own MBS members. To be prepared especially for you, Belko -- an exhaustive catalog of Geoff Hobson bell-cow-isms. Periodically updated into perpetuity.

A current search on Bengals.com brings up 70 instances of the term. Rather than making one long post, I thought I would break things up into multiple entries. That way, I can add a dozen or two at a time, and return later when circumstances permit. The plan is to number each quotation for future reference. First set of entries to follow shortly.
Not only has Geoff "Nietzsche" Hobson declared the The Bell Cow to be dead, he now talks of species-wide extinction.

INSTANCE 111 --- Springing into summer (posted June 20, 2012)
But they know why The Law Firm is here. Offensive coordinator Jay Gruden is going running-back-by-committee. The Bell Cow is extinct at PBS and BJGE is going to be teamed with B. Scott and B. Leonard.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/S ... c59d6685bb
I've also noticed the term "workhorse" to be gaining currency among national sports writers, so it seems as if Belko's favorite word is also going the way of the DoDo.
EDIT: Corrected count.
Last edited by psychostats on July 8th, 2012, 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 22nd, 2012, 5:10 pm #73

my bet is that the term may be shelved for a few months, it will however make a come back.

people always assess their own performance as "above average" even people who, when tested, actually perform at the very bottom of the pile. [Incompetent People Too Ignorant to Know It]

July 10th, 2012, 4:08 am #74

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

The bell-cow running back may be dead at Paul Brown stadium, but clearly we're still in the midst of a Golden Age. Check out the updated tracking chart:
Note again the sharp increase that began about five years ago. You might say that the Golden Age of the Bell-Cow at Bengals.com commenced on June 6, 2007. There have since been 92 instances of the term, a rate of about nine every six months. And after Ced Benson's last carry for the Bungs in January, seven more bell-cows strolled into the barn. (Eight if you start counting from the day the bell-cow died.) We're still pretty much on track.

Belko is right.

August 22nd, 2012, 1:06 am #75

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

No, not even Jay Gruden can kill our favorite bovine. Just as we thought.

INSTANCE 112 --- Benson recalls Bears game in PBS return (posted Aug 21, 2012)
While Gruden said the Bengals "weren't looking to run him out of town," they also pursued New England's BenJarvus Green-Ellis to team with Scott. Before The Law Firm got hurt in the opener, BJGE flashed why the Bengals sought him: Patience, a nose for the goal line, and good hands in the passing game. Although he said Monday either Green-Ellis or Scott could claim the bell cow job, Gruden has indicated he'll use both. Ironically, while Benson makes his debut, Green-Ellis (foot) and Scott (hand) won't play.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... 8023bf1b82

October 10th, 2012, 5:41 am #76

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

The bell-cow hath risen! With the oft-injured Bernard Scott now out for the season, it's the bell-cow-by-committee approach that's dead and gone.

INSTANCE 113 --- Bengals seek key to run game (posted Oct 9, 2012)
In Green-Ellis, the Bengals have the consummate pro. Plus, Lewis also looks at the $3 million per year deal they gave him and sees a guy that can handle a bell cow's diet of 300 carries even though his career high is 229 in 2010. He's already halfway to last season's 181.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... 1b8c41c9af
Our old bell-cow up in Green Bay has the dreaded Lisfranc injury, by the way, and won't be milking rushing attempts any time soon. Our new bell-cow is chewing on a steady diet of carries while trying to hang on to the football. Not sure where that takes us, but maybe I'd prefer the old bell-cow, even with one bad hoof.

January 26th, 2013, 8:37 pm #77

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

We were getting a little off pace here with the last instance coming back in October. With the draft coming up, combined with the prime need for another bell-cow back, things are starting to heat up again. We get a little bell-cow history this time around.

INSTANCES 114 and 115 --- Bengals hope complements abound (posted Jan 23, 2013)
When Anderson arrived in 1984, the Bengals were the epitome of the big-back team and their bell cow was a fullback in Pete Johnson. Owner Paul Brown had the first modern big back in Jim Brown in Cleveland and his best Bengals offenses had 230-pound plus guys like Johnson and Ickey Woods, and the best back in Bengals history is 225-pound Corey Dillon. Current owner Mike Brown muses in the stands here Tuesday there was a time 60 years ago when backs were rarely 215 pounds and it's getting that way again. His current bell cow, Green-Ellis, goes 5-11, 220.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... 47f95c5750

January 28th, 2013, 1:14 am #78

Having Mike Brown scouting at the Senior Bowl is like having a monkey at a Quantum Mechanics seminar...

August 18th, 2013, 3:57 am #79

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

I started to believe that maybe Hobson swore-off the term. Here we have the first of hopefully many references to Giovani Bernard being the you-know-what.

INSTANCE 116 --- 'Hungry' Bengals chew on Titans (posted Aug 17, 2013)
Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis gave running back BenJarvus Green-Ellis the night off and rookie running back Giovani Bernard responded as the bell cow with four straight touches for 47 yards that set up his one-yard touchdown to highlight the first offense's smooth outing Saturday night at Paul Brown Stadium and jump-started the Bengals to a 429-yard effort in a 27-19 victory over the Titans.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/H ... aa02c34f23
He chewed-up yardage, he chewed-up the Titans, he chewed... Go, Giovani.

January 11th, 2014, 2:10 am #80

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

We went the entire 2013 regular season without a sighting, but there's good news with Hue Jackson running the offense. Dacow brought this up in another thread, but let's tuck it in here, too.

The major takeaways from Friday's news conference besides the systems staying intact is that Jackson wants to be physical and run the ball first, and then establishing balance, as well as standing behind quarterback Andy Dalton.

"What I need to do is unleash these guys. Let them have the opportunity to do that," Jackson said of the physical style he wants. "We have a bunch of big, physical men you want to establish yourself as an offensive football team, you have to be able to put your hand down and block the guy in front of you. You have to be able to attempt to run over the other team. If you can't do that in this league, you have no chance of winning."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/L ... fbcd29053c

As an option quarterback running and tucking and passing the daylights out of a Minnesota team...

Nearly 30 years later the 48-year-old Jackson still has goals and on Thursday he expounded on them as he envisions what his Bengals offense is going to look like. Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis has had three offensive coordinators in his 12 seasons and the first two, Bob Bratkowski and Jay Gruden, were always a bit hesitant to talk about an identity because they wanted to be multiple.

So does Jackson, but he also wants the Bengals to be able to do one thing well and that's push people around in the running game. One of the small knocks on Gruden was that he wanted to do everything well and while he's got a quick and innovative mind, the knock said, he went into Sundays with an unfocused game plan that had too many plays. It remains to be seen what Jackson will bring into a game, but he's intent on running the ball.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/J ... f84470d8df
Now I ask you, how can the bell-cow possibly remain extinct?

Confirmation of reply: