A Bellicose Bellowing of "Bell-Cow" for Belko

October 7th, 2011, 2:46 am #61

<font face="new times roman" size="3">No fan is an island, entire of itself.
Each is part of the main, a piece of the rock.

If by the sea the clods be washed away, or the bluff crag,
or thine friends home, or thine friends themselves,
Bengaldom is more the less.

Each loss burdens me, as I am involved in hob spin.
And so, ask not for whom the bell-cow lows.
It lows for thee. Moooooooo!

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What could possibly be more tedious than waiting for yet another NFL draft? Football-wise, it's by far the most excruciating time of the year. Might as well seize the opportunity to honor one of our very own MBS members. To be prepared especially for you, Belko -- an exhaustive catalog of Geoff Hobson bell-cow-isms. Periodically updated into perpetuity.

A current search on Bengals.com brings up 70 instances of the term. Rather than making one long post, I thought I would break things up into multiple entries. That way, I can add a dozen or two at a time, and return later when circumstances permit. The plan is to number each quotation for future reference. First set of entries to follow shortly.
You do remember, don't you, that this is supposed to be a perpetual thread? No need for us to stop at 100 when the cattle range stretches endlessly before our eyes. And what a shame it would be to miss Dave Lapham and the first mention of ... bell-cow D-linemen!

Just when you thought it was safe to go outside... Bell-Cows 101, 102 and a bonus.
INSTANCE 101 AND A BONUS BELL-COW --- Update: Class of '83 salutes new No. 1 defense; Of mice and men; Bobbie exempted (posted Oct 3, 2011)

"Eddie was the bell cow on that line," Lapham said. "He was the guy that offenses had to find and would have to scheme. These guys don't really have that guy, but I think it's almost better to have eight above average guys, and I think that's what they've got. You look at the roster, the defensive line is the strongest position on the team."

Lapham says the closest lineman to a bell cow now is second-year man Carlos Dunlap, still seeking his first sack at left end after ripping off 9.5 last season in the final eight games.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/U ... 90011b6d3e
Recall that the bell-cows are counted only when Hobson speaks directly. When he quotes someone like Lapham here, it's a bonus.

INSTANCE 102 --- Notes: Williams back Bossing; MJD backs outspoken Ced; Lee sees Finley in Gresham (posted Oct 5, 2011)

CED AND MJD: Only the Vikings' Adrian Peterson has carried the ball more times this season than the two bell cows that are no doubt going to continue to get a bunch of work Sunday in Jacksonville so that they protect their rookie quarterbacks.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/N ... 5ca6305c68

October 7th, 2011, 3:41 am #62

October 7th, 2011, 3:48 am #63

Dude--you are like the Energizer Bunny. You keep going and going and going and........

No, it's not that I don't like it--I do. Keep it up man. See if you can't go to 200.

Does Geoff Hopspin read this board? If not, he should.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

December 29th, 2011, 8:03 am #64

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What could possibly be more tedious than waiting for yet another NFL draft? Football-wise, it's by far the most excruciating time of the year. Might as well seize the opportunity to honor one of our very own MBS members. To be prepared especially for you, Belko -- an exhaustive catalog of Geoff Hobson bell-cow-isms. Periodically updated into perpetuity.

A current search on Bengals.com brings up 70 instances of the term. Rather than making one long post, I thought I would break things up into multiple entries. That way, I can add a dozen or two at a time, and return later when circumstances permit. The plan is to number each quotation for future reference. First set of entries to follow shortly.
Two more clangers as the season comes to a close. Check out the very special herd member in 103 for Bronco, T, and rest of the Bucknuts.

INSTANCE 103 --- Cardinals-Bengals Preview (posted Dec 23, 2011)
Cardinals RB Beanie Wells, an Akron, Ohio product who became a Buckeye bell cow at Ohio State, has a semi-homecoming. He followed both the Browns and the Bengals and his favorite back growing up was Bengals all-time leading rusher Corey Dillon. The last time the Bengals beat the Cards, Dillon had the third biggest game of his career with 216 yards at PBS in a 24-13 win Dec. 3, 2000.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/C ... d7deaffc1e
INSTANCE 104 --- More notes: Gruden stays grounded on flip; Sticking with Benson; Limited Cundiff may bounce Graham (posted Dec 27, 2011)
Gruden is concentrating on making sure his bell cow still has his signature confidence.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/M ... fc78b182d8

January 12th, 2012, 4:41 am #65

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

Could this be the very last reference to Benson as our bell-cow?

INSTANCE 105 --- Notes: Lewis upbeat; Ced's future? (posted Jan 9, 2012)
But while Benson had slightly more runs of at least 20 yards or more than last year (four compared to two), it was nowhere near his 10 of 2009. His eight runs of at least 15 yards didn't rank in the NFL's top 20, according to Elias.

Despite averaging 3.9 yards per with the limited carries, Benson retains his confidence of a bell cow back.

"As long as the field is 100 yards long and the games are being played outside," he said, "they are always going to need someone to pound the rock."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/N ... f7a3997aa7

January 14th, 2012, 3:10 am #66

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

For those of you playing the drinking game at home, you should have two whenever Hobson uses bell-cow and "rang" in the same paragraph. And three whenever he uses them in the same sentence.

INSTANCE 106 --- Feeling a draft (posted Jan 13, 2012)
But Rang thinks Miamis Lamar Miller and Virginia Techs David Wilson could be options for the Bengals at No. 21. Neither have the size the Bengals always seek in their bell cow backs, but Rang believes the 5-10, 205-pound Wilson and the 5-11, 212-pound Miller can be franchise backs.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/F ... 86b7e70bb9
Cheers!

February 21st, 2012, 3:10 am #67

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

Uh oh. Our OC thinks that no one can be a bell-cow back anymore. Tragedy! From where shall our future bell-cow references come? But our RB coach is looking for a new one, so maybe there's hope.

INSTANCE 107 --- Boomer makes a Super call (posted Feb 2, 2012)
Scarnecchia is back in the Super Bowl four years after winning the Super Bowl with a line that has three new starters. Anderson heads into a draft the Bengals are supposedly looking for a new bell cow running back with an all-time top five rushing list in which Anderson has coached every yard.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... 4052afb7f3
INSTANCE 108 --- Gruden hopes practice makes perfect (posted Feb 20, 2012)
The signing of former Lions running back Aaron Brown on Friday as Cincinnati's first foray into free agency has contributed to the buzz the Bengals are going to make a change. But Gruden says Benson is still an attractive player, although he's also convinced no one can be a bell cow in this day and age.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/G ... 8c1d74661d
Last edited by psychostats on July 8th, 2012, 5:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 21st, 2012, 8:42 am #68

"The signing of former Lions running back Aaron Brown on Friday as Cincinnati's first foray into free agency has contributed to the buzz the Bengals are going to make a change. But Gruden says Benson is still an attractive player, although he's also convinced no one can be a bell cow in this day and age."

1. Brown--WHO?!?!?!??!?!?! NEVER HEARD OF HIM!!!!!!! Only he has the unfortunate last name of our lovely owner.

2. What exactly is a f*cking "bell cow" or "cow bell" running back? Sounds stupid as f*ck to me. Jesus. When I think of cow bell, I think of something in a pasture. That can't be any kind of good.

3. Other than Christopher Walken's bit on Saturday Night Live, what else does this f*cking sh*t mean??!?!?!?!?!??!!?!?

Nice lame-o attempts, Slobson/Gruden. And Gruden--Goddamn dude--I praise you all season--and you come at us with this lame attempt to cover up your superiors. That just sucks. Like I said before--get out of Cincinnati while you still can.

"So he got fired? Big deal. It's happened to the best of us. So he got kicked out of his house by his 400 lb'ed wife?!?!? That's probably better for him anyways."-OldSchooler on ChrisMBHater's absence

March 10th, 2012, 6:23 am #69

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What if that rumor were true, the one where the Bengals trade up and draft Trent Richardson? The mind boggles.

INSTANCE 109 --- Rewind button for draft tape (posted Feb 28, 2012)
What is going to be interesting is that Gruden seems to have a different taste than what has usually passed for the typical Bengals bell cow. Except for Brooks, they've all been at least 5-10, 220ish pounds. All of them played in college's biggest leagues, ranging from the SEC (Brooks, Rudi Johnson), the Pac 10 (Dillon), the Big Ten (Pete Johnson) and Big 12 (Benson).

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/R ... affde1540c

And here, Falc, is an old poem that helps answer your second and third questions. Nixon Waterman was a poet and writer born in 1859.
The Old-Bell Cow By Nixon Waterman

WHEN I was but a boy, I loved so happily
    to roam
Through every nook and corner of the dear old
    country home;
At dewy morn to pasture I would drive the cows,
    and when
The shades of eventide drew on, I drove them
    home again.
And one among their number I remember very
    well,
It seems but yesterday I saw the cow that wore
    the bell;
She was not fairer than the rest, nor any finer
    breed,
Yet all the others followed her, wherever she
    might lead;
And in my youthful mind I used to wonder why
    and how
It was that all the cattle tagged the old bell-cow.

Strange years of shadow and of shine have
    passed away since then,
And now I mingle daily with the hosts of busy
    men.
And still I muse more earnestly than what I
    used to do,
For men, I find, are likewise quite peculiar
    creatures, too.
And some have natures made of gold, without a
    speck or flaw,
While some are only gilded forms, all padded
    out with straw;
And while the modest, worthy man the world is
    slow to heed,
The counterfeit, who loudly brags, steps in and
    takes the lead.
The one who makes the noise is sure to catch the
    crowd; and now
I know why all the cattle tagged the old bell-cow.

http://www.tastearts.com/tag/cow-poems/
EDIT: Corrected count.
Last edited by psychostats on July 8th, 2012, 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 11th, 2012, 6:34 am #70

"Pasture"

Whelp. Explains a whole lot--and the word "pasture" is included in the text. Great. Like I said. Not good.

LOL!!!!

Confirmation of reply: