A Bellicose Bellowing of "Bell-Cow" for Belko

June 26th, 2011, 11:53 pm #51

....does'nt say if Hobson wrote this...but it's posted on Bungs.com.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... bdfc5e4499

"Since signing with the Bengals in September 2008, Benson has been the teams BELLCOW rusher, a leader in the locker room and a player known by media as a consistently cordial and thoughtful interview subject. He has led the team in rushing three straight years, with more than 1100 yards in each of his two full seasons. On Oct. 25, 2009 vs. the Bears, he ceremonially put an end to any lingering demons from his Chicago years, leading a 45-10 Bengals stampede with a career-high 189 rushing yards. The total stands through today as the most rushing yards ever gained by an NFL player against one of his former teams."~~~Hobson?!? @Bungs.com?

June 27th, 2011, 2:55 am #52

It's under Hobson's byline. He's not quoting anyone else. It counts.

Ninety-eight down and two to go! Thanks again, BAC.

INSTANCE 98 --- Benson's fortunes soar in Cincy (Posted June 23, 2011)
I have some thoughts on how to celebrate when we hit 100. I guess it has to be a virtual celebration, unless a bunch of you come to Wisconsin so I can buy a few rounds of Spotted Cow.

June 27th, 2011, 1:04 pm #53

The gift that keeps on giving

August 1st, 2011, 4:10 pm #54

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/W ... 0fa889a0c0

"That's supposed to come Monday morning in what has become Camp Turnstile all around the NFL. On Sunday they lost one player to a physical (Cardinals guard Deuce Lutui), gained their "BELL COW" running back (Cedric Benson), and saw Twitter blow up about being close to another deal (Bills safety Donte Whitner) while they already prepared to add one starter to the secondary (49ers cornerback Nate Clements.) Usually these deals are done in March, April, May. Not during stretching."~~~Hobslob

August 1st, 2011, 6:11 pm #55

Nate Clements a starter?

Bwahahahahahahahaha!

"We do do, and we do it at a very, very high level," Lewis said.

August 5th, 2011, 12:45 am #56

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/W ... 0fa889a0c0

"That's supposed to come Monday morning in what has become Camp Turnstile all around the NFL. On Sunday they lost one player to a physical (Cardinals guard Deuce Lutui), gained their "BELL COW" running back (Cedric Benson), and saw Twitter blow up about being close to another deal (Bills safety Donte Whitner) while they already prepared to add one starter to the secondary (49ers cornerback Nate Clements.) Usually these deals are done in March, April, May. Not during stretching."~~~Hobslob
Thanks again, BAC. I'm still thinking of ways to celebrate.

Ah... so close I can almost hear the clanging and jangling of Bell-Cow 100, way way off in the distance. And it's softly lowing for us. Moooooooooooooooo. Moooooooooooo. Moooooooooooo...

Edit: Adding formatted entry... for future reference:

INSTANCE 99 --- Benson's fortunes soar in Cincy (Posted Jun 23, 2011)
Since signing with the Bengals in September 2008, Benson has been the teams bellcow rusher, a leader in the locker room and a player known by media as a consistently cordial and thoughtful interview subject. He has led the team in rushing three straight years, with more than 1100 yards in each of his two full seasons. On Oct. 25, 2009 vs. the Bears, he ceremonially put an end to any lingering demons from his Chicago years, leading a 45-10 Bengals stampede with a career-high 189 rushing yards. The total stands through today as the most rushing yards ever gained by an NFL player against one of his former teams.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... bdfc5e4499
Last edited by psychostats on August 6th, 2011, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 8th, 2011, 2:48 am #57

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/R ... a263e3c3f9

"It looks like Benson won't be disciplined by the NFL, but no one seems to know for sure. What is for sure is that he's the BELL COW, and it would take a surprising performance to knock out Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard as his backups. If he did get disciplined, they would have to go to the waiver wire or practice squad to get a guy and all of them are eligible for the squad and two of them might end up there."

August 8th, 2011, 5:10 am #58

Excellent, BAC! You're good at spotting these! And thanks for the virtual Spotted Cow! I'm pouring myself a tall one right now, of the non-virtual variety. Ahhhhh, that's good!

Woo hooo! (Or should I say, moo mooo?) 100 bell-clankers it is! CALNKITY CLANK CLANK!!

I have another thought in mind to celebrate, but for now, what could be better than some music? Yes, I'm referring to the incomparable Slim Whitman and his classic version of Cattle Call.

Take it away, Slim:

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349"></embed></object>

Wish I had you all here in Wisconsin so I could buy a few rounds.

Belko, where the heck are ya?!

INSTANCE 100 --- Roster scrum begins (Posted Aug 7, 2011)
It looks like Benson won't be disciplined by the NFL, but no one seems to know for sure. What is for sure is that he's the Bell Cow, and it would take a surprising performance to knock out Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard as his backups. If he did get disciplined, they would have to go to the waiver wire or practice squad to get a guy and all of them are eligible for the squad and two of them might end up there.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/R ... a263e3c3f9
And here is Version 1.0 of Bell-Cow Base, an exhaustive listing of all Hobson bell-cow references on Bengals.com:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/506360/MikeBrow ... 0v1.0.xlsx

Whoa Doggie, that's one well rounded-up herd!!

Come on, you guys, any words for this momentous occassion?

August 8th, 2011, 1:17 pm #59

whoop de dee... over my morning coffee in the airpot... gotta love hobslob, can't believe it took so long, I'll be mooing about this all day... running with utters.

"Well, it ain't braggin' if it's true
Yes sir, yes sir
It ain't braggin' if it's true
Muhammad Ali said that
Back when he was a young man
Back when he was Cassius Clay
Before he fought too many fights
And left his brain inside the ring"

September 13th, 2011, 2:02 am #60

<font face="new times roman" size="3">No fan is an island, entire of itself.
Each is part of the main, a piece of the rock.

If by the sea the clods be washed away, or the bluff crag,
or thine friends home, or thine friends themselves,
Bengaldom is more the less.

Each loss burdens me, as I am involved in hob spin.
And so, ask not for whom the bell-cow lows.
It lows for thee. Moooooooo!

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What could possibly be more tedious than waiting for yet another NFL draft? Football-wise, it's by far the most excruciating time of the year. Might as well seize the opportunity to honor one of our very own MBS members. To be prepared especially for you, Belko -- an exhaustive catalog of Geoff Hobson bell-cow-isms. Periodically updated into perpetuity.

A current search on Bengals.com brings up 70 instances of the term. Rather than making one long post, I thought I would break things up into multiple entries. That way, I can add a dozen or two at a time, and return later when circumstances permit. The plan is to number each quotation for future reference. First set of entries to follow shortly.
Who'da thunk they thunk it! Here's Hobson's buddy and fellow Boston native Peter King in Monday Morning Quarterback (9-12-11). As seen under Ten Things I Think I Think, item 10.h.
Beernerdness: Yes, I had the Spotted Cow in Wisconsin. Good summer beer. Light and a little cloudy-yellow. You could probably drink a lot of them and be relatively unaffected. Problem was, I had it at the end of a very long day in Green Bay last Wednesday (at the incomparable Nicky's Lionhead), and barely made it through one. Too tired. But I approve.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/w ... z1XnD1ZwRD
I'll give the man credit. On this occasion, at least, he has good taste in brews. Sounds like he might have received plenty of recommendations. Good thing that was a lighter beer.

Confirmation of reply: