A Bellicose Bellowing of "Bell-Cow" for Belko

April 6th, 2010, 3:12 pm #31

Ha! Udderly...

Mikey is cleverer than you think.

April 27th, 2010, 1:29 am #32

<font face="new times roman" size="3">No fan is an island, entire of itself.
Each is part of the main, a piece of the rock.

If by the sea the clods be washed away, or the bluff crag,
or thine friends home, or thine friends themselves,
Bengaldom is more the less.

Each loss burdens me, as I am involved in hob spin.
And so, ask not for whom the bell-cow lows.
It lows for thee. Moooooooo!

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What could possibly be more tedious than waiting for yet another NFL draft? Football-wise, it's by far the most excruciating time of the year. Might as well seize the opportunity to honor one of our very own MBS members. To be prepared especially for you, Belko -- an exhaustive catalog of Geoff Hobson bell-cow-isms. Periodically updated into perpetuity.

A current search on Bengals.com brings up 70 instances of the term. Rather than making one long post, I thought I would break things up into multiple entries. That way, I can add a dozen or two at a time, and return later when circumstances permit. The plan is to number each quotation for future reference. First set of entries to follow shortly.
Hobson's new blog is barely more than a week old, and he has finally graced us with another bell-cow. What took so long?

INSTANCE 81 --- Hobson's Choice Blog: Next up... (Posted April 26, 2010)
Look for the Bengals to look for a few things between now and training camp:

- snip -

* A veteran running back in the Larry Johnson mold who can lug it 25 times if Cedric Benson has to sit out a few games. Brian Leonard and Bernard Scott are perfect spot players, but the Bengals need a backup bellcow. Which would seem to suggest they'll go with four running backs and one fullback.

http://blogs.bengals.com/2010/04/26/next-up/
Alright, Whit. I'm sure you approve of the sentiment.

April 27th, 2010, 2:41 pm #33

I love the fact that Hobson is so in love with the term that he regularly applies it to backups. It's like calling Peyton Manning's backup a workhorse...

BMN
BMN

June 9th, 2010, 1:46 pm #34

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What could possibly be more tedious than waiting for yet another NFL draft? Football-wise, it's by far the most excruciating time of the year. Might as well seize the opportunity to honor one of our very own MBS members. To be prepared especially for you, Belko -- an exhaustive catalog of Geoff Hobson bell-cow-isms. Periodically updated into perpetuity.

A current search on Bengals.com brings up 70 instances of the term. Rather than making one long post, I thought I would break things up into multiple entries. That way, I can add a dozen or two at a time, and return later when circumstances permit. The plan is to number each quotation for future reference. First set of entries to follow shortly.
A nice profile on Cedric Benson. For a while, Hobson seemed to avoid the term while discussing our star running back. But now the stars are back in alignment.

INSTANCE <s>82</s> 83 --- Finding Ced (posted June 9, 2010)
Anybody could have missed it. If you're looking to find the home of the Bengals bell cow running back in Greater Cincinnati, this wouldn't be in the multiple choice. The West Side is usually behind the Westchester-Montgomery corridor, Northern Kentucky, Eastern Avenue, and downtown on the list of player addresses.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/F ... 347f32d207
Benson has an interesting take on running within the Bengals system. Smooth like Sinatra, with bursts of Metallica mixed in.

<font size="1">EDIT: Numbering corrected. See post below.</font>
Last edited by psychostats on June 21st, 2010, 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 11th, 2010, 5:18 am #35

Oh how I wish somebody would snip together a medley of two songs. That would be Sinatra's Ring-A-Ding Ding and Metallica's For Whom the Bell Tolls. Perfect background music for a Ced Benson highlight reel.

June 11th, 2010, 3:38 pm #36

psycho, I thought about you when reading that Hobson piece. I figured you'd get a kick out of the bell cow reference.
Coincidentally, I listened to those two songs recently -- both real toe-tappers. I might have more respect for Benson's interest in Sinatra if he hadn't found out about Ole Blue Eyes via Michael Bublé. I'm think I'm going to go vomit now.
Now I realize there's a couple of Sinatra references built into my original sentence.

REY MAUALUGA, THE NEXT GREAT
LINEBACKER IN "STRIPES"

June 12th, 2010, 2:00 am #37

That's the spirit, BA. We'll be able to milk the the Sinatra references from here to eternity. Some people may get tired of it, but that's life.
<font face="times roman" size="3">I get no kick from champagne.
Mere alcohol doesn't thrill me at all,
So tell me why should it be true
that I get a kick out of you?

Some they may go for cocaine.
I'm sure that if I took even one sniff,
It would bore me terrifically too.
Yet I get a kick out of you.</font>

~Sinatra sings Cole Porter

June 21st, 2010, 4:39 am #38

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

Yikes, I'm losing track of the bell-cows! The previous instance now bumped to 83. Forgive me, as it was a sin to overlook a reference to 505 FS Jesus.

INSTANCE 82 --- Battle at the front (posted May 21, 2010)
The Bengals apparently haven't given up on the idea of bringing back fullback Jeremi Johnson. Indications are they are still talking about it. Right now they're two deep there with last year's seventh-rounder Fui Vakapuna, and rookie free agent Joe Tronzo out of Louisville. Fullback may be in the same category as a backup bell cow running back. Veterans become available in late August.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... 90c3a9f68b
INSTANCE 83 --- Finding Ced (posted June 9, 2010)
Anybody could have missed it. If you're looking to find the home of the Bengals bell cow running back in Greater Cincinnati, this wouldn't be in the multiple choice. The West Side is usually behind the Westchester-Montgomery corridor, Northern Kentucky, Eastern Avenue, and downtown on the list of player addresses.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/F ... 347f32d207

July 24th, 2010, 12:52 am #39

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

You knew it was coming: a celebration of Bernard Scott, our No. 2 running back who displays a hard-charging, workhorse mentality. Together with Brian Leonard, he forms a dynamic duo of backup bell-cows, ready to relieve Cedric Benson at a moment's (or commissioner's) notice.

INSTANCES 84-85 --- Stockpiling Scott (posted Jul 22, 2010)
Scott knows that there are concerns about his 5-10-195-pound durability, especially after cramps forced him from that 119-yard effort in Oakland and the turf toe that robbed him of another 100-yard day the next week against Cleveland when he left with 89 yards and didn't play for the next three games. Even when hes healthy hes not seen as a full-time banger, but like James Brooks, Scott has that 230-pound bell-cow mentality in a 195-pound body.

- snip -

While the Bengals see Scott and Leonard as bell-cow complements to Benson and would like a backup that can carry it 75-100 times in a month if need be like when Benson hurt his hip last year, Scott has the belief he can do it. Youre talking about a guy that had 313 touches as a senior and even though it was in the Lone Star Conference, the workhorse mentality is there.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/S ... b7d88626db
Last edited by psychostats on July 24th, 2010, 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 31st, 2010, 3:31 am #40

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

Hooray for the homers in the blog comments section! They milked a couple of extra instances out of Hobson. After an interlude of about five weeks, we're now treated to a syncopated symphony of sycophantic lowing. Follow the link for the... gulp... stirring exchange.

INSTANCES 86-88 --- Hobson's Choice Blog -- Two-minute drill (Posted August 30, 2010)
Excerpt from the main blog post:
<blockquote>0:34: Huge battle at running back for that last spot with James Johnson and Cedric Peerman. It seems they are fighting for the right to be cut when Leonard returns in the first couple of games of the season. But there is also a larger issue of backup bell cow running back. Offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski talked about that last week.
Part of a reply to a reader in the comments section:
I dont know if Lynch is the guy, but if you see a bell cow out there and youre going to keep four back until Brian Leonard comes back any way, go get him. The problem is, how long can you keep four?
Part of an additional reply in the comments section:
In fact, everybody gets excited about the Cut down wire until they see who is on it. People are talking about finding a kicker, backup safety, backup QB, and back up bell cow running back all out there on Sunday.
http://blogs.bengals.com/2010/08/30/two-minute-drill/</blockquote>
Last edited by psychostats on August 31st, 2010, 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Confirmation of reply: