A Bellicose Bellowing of "Bell-Cow" for Belko

April 1st, 2010, 4:19 am #21

somebody should email this link to Hobson
Storm, didn't you say that Hobson occasionally comes here and scans the threads? He's probably so desensitized to criticism by now that he wouldn't give it more than a shrug. Anyway, I'll send him a note, if just for the sake of completeness.

April 1st, 2010, 4:56 am #22

"It's not something that was pre-set, like an anniversary or birthday, nor was the referenced thread recurring. ...I certainly think that there is something which represents a more consistent literary theme with missing it once rather than in an premeditated and informed or willful way. "

Well, let me think it over for three days, and then maybe the answer will arise. Should be uplifting when it happens.
Alright, it's now been three long days. Time to revisit your question. What literary theme does this thread call to mind? It's not the bell-cow part itself that you're interested in, it's how an old idea (thread) by Belko was reclaimed and renewed.

I was feeling a little cross today as I pondered the question. Then I slipped it back in my pocket as a sense of inspiration enveloped me like a shroud. Yes, it's that certain time of the year! Spring has arrived along with its familiar symbols. All the holiday talk gives rise to the answer. The theme could be... it might be... it really should be... Jellybeans!

Huh? Huh?

April 1st, 2010, 5:35 am #23

<font face="new times roman" size="3">No fan is an island, entire of itself.
Each is part of the main, a piece of the rock.

If by the sea the clods be washed away, or the bluff crag,
or thine friends home, or thine friends themselves,
Bengaldom is more the less.

Each loss burdens me, as I am involved in hob spin.
And so, ask not for whom the bell-cow lows.
It lows for thee. Moooooooo!

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What could possibly be more tedious than waiting for yet another NFL draft? Football-wise, it's by far the most excruciating time of the year. Might as well seize the opportunity to honor one of our very own MBS members. To be prepared especially for you, Belko -- an exhaustive catalog of Geoff Hobson bell-cow-isms. Periodically updated into perpetuity.

A current search on Bengals.com brings up 70 instances of the term. Rather than making one long post, I thought I would break things up into multiple entries. That way, I can add a dozen or two at a time, and return later when circumstances permit. The plan is to number each quotation for future reference. First set of entries to follow shortly.
A veritable bovine extravaganza!

~~~

INSTANCE 75 --- Bengals solve division problem with run (posted Nov 29, 2009)
Benson believes that hell go back to being the bell cow getting the lions share of carries. When asked if there were enough carries to go around for three quality backs, Benson was a bit bemused.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... da582a84fe
INSTANCE 76 --- Lions in Bengals' den (posted Dec 4, 2009)
Benson is back after missing the last two games and while the Bengals barely missed a beat with Bernard Scott and Larry Johnson each chipping in with a 100-yard game, don't forget that when Benson went down with a pulled hip muscle he was averaging nearly 95 yards per game and on record Bengals pace. Plus, Scott (toe) is out so Benson is going to be in bell-cow mode.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/L ... 2d3ad158fd
INSTANCE 77 --- I got you (posted Dec 23, 2009)
Johnson, 30, is very appreciative of how the Bengals have treated him, but he doesn't expect to be back here next year with Cedric Benson having one year left on his deal and the emergence of rookie Bernard Scott. Besides, he feels like he can still be a bell cow.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/I ... b3d6e7ee21
INSTANCE 78 --- Bengals to Jet into playoffs? (posted Jan 2, 2010)
Benson tees it up against the top-ranked Jets run defense and Jones, his archrival in the Bears backfield, where there was no love lost. They couldn't live together and it forced Joness trade to the Jets and this season they are both bell cows for playoff teams and contenders well over 1,000 yards and alternates in the Pro Bowl.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... 5ba2661442
INSTANCE 79 --- Friday notes: Time to sell out for Benson; No. 14 remembers (posted Jan 8, 2010)
There wasn't enough room for Cedric Benson and Thomas Jones in the Chicago backfield of 2005 and 2006. But there is plenty of room at Paul Brown Stadium Saturday for them in the Wild Card game with Benson running the ball for the Bengals and Jones bell-cowing it for the Jets. Jones made first alternate Pro Bowl and Benson second alternate and Benson has to smile when he sees the alternative for the Bears is that they'll be watching at 7-9.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/F ... b06f93af30
INSTANCE 80 --- Hobson's Choice: Line dance (posted Mar 16, 2010)
Protect Palmer? Keep running the ball effectively. I'm more concerned about finding a backup bellcow running back for Cedric Benson insurance if he misses a few games. Bernard Scott and Brian Leonard are his backups and they are untouchable valuable. But if Benson needs a month, they need a 25-carry guy to go with them.

http://www.bengals.com/news/hobson-onli ... 047449a817
Last edited by psychostats on April 2nd, 2010, 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 1st, 2010, 2:31 pm #24

I say when we make it to 100 (and I know we will), we raise a toast!

BMN
BMN

April 2nd, 2010, 3:35 am #25

<font face="new times roman" size="3">No fan is an island, entire of itself.
Each is part of the main, a piece of the rock.

If by the sea the clods be washed away, or the bluff crag,
or thine friends home, or thine friends themselves,
Bengaldom is more the less.

Each loss burdens me, as I am involved in hob spin.
And so, ask not for whom the bell-cow lows.
It lows for thee. Moooooooo!

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What could possibly be more tedious than waiting for yet another NFL draft? Football-wise, it's by far the most excruciating time of the year. Might as well seize the opportunity to honor one of our very own MBS members. To be prepared especially for you, Belko -- an exhaustive catalog of Geoff Hobson bell-cow-isms. Periodically updated into perpetuity.

A current search on Bengals.com brings up 70 instances of the term. Rather than making one long post, I thought I would break things up into multiple entries. That way, I can add a dozen or two at a time, and return later when circumstances permit. The plan is to number each quotation for future reference. First set of entries to follow shortly.
Usually there's a loud low rumbling when a stampede of cattle approaches. In this particular case we have an accompanying cacophony of clanging and jangling. Lookout, everybody! Those 70 links found on Bengals.com translated to 80 frisky bell-cows trampling our way. More if you count the bell-cows generated by Geoff Hobson interviewees.

And what a variety of specimens they are. We have clear-cut bell-cows, happy bell-cows, bell-cow guys, needed bell-cows, full-time bell-cows, backup bell-cows, 16-game bell-cows, big bell-cows, top bell-cows, vet-rookie bell-cow tandems, new bell-cows, unequivocal bell-cows, and true bell-cows. As if that weren't enough, we also have the bell-cow theory, the bell-cow debut, the bigger bell-cow-type, the bell-cow job, the bell-cow insurance, and my personal favorite: the lions share of the bell-cow carries. Whoa doggie, that's one well rounded-up herd.

For you, Storm -- here's the baaing (mooing?) question I sent to Hobson Online. The link takes you right back to this page:
<font face="times roman">I'm frankly bullish on our bell-cow situation for 2010. Cedric Benson is a top back in the league,
and Bernard Scott filled in admirably when given the chance. Not to forget Brian Leonard, who
frequently came through in the clutch.

Then again, as they say where I come from, you never can have too many bell-cows. So it
wouldn't shock anyone to see them beef up at the position. (Jim Anderson, I'm sure, needs
very little prodding.) Regarding the draft, just how low do you think they'll they go before they
moove on a halfback?

P.S. You've got to see this discussion on bell-cow backs. http://bit.ly/clcbPa

Ring Bovine
Clangmore, WI</font>
DaCow, please take note of the extra herd member in Instance 21.

TOBB, I responded again to your question above, but the post is way up in the thread.

BMN, I completely agree about the century mark celebration. And the brew of choice is of course... Spotted Cow!

April 3rd, 2010, 4:30 pm #26

Alright, it's now been three long days. Time to revisit your question. What literary theme does this thread call to mind? It's not the bell-cow part itself that you're interested in, it's how an old idea (thread) by Belko was reclaimed and renewed.

I was feeling a little cross today as I pondered the question. Then I slipped it back in my pocket as a sense of inspiration enveloped me like a shroud. Yes, it's that certain time of the year! Spring has arrived along with its familiar symbols. All the holiday talk gives rise to the answer. The theme could be... it might be... it really should be... Jellybeans!

Huh? Huh?
I don't like those marshmallow rabbits so much? But the Jellybeans...

Ok I think I'm catching your drift.

"Well it's easter time. And that always reminds me of the heartwarming account of Elijah and the she-bears..."

Enjoy that.

This is roughly congruent to complaining about azimuth or zenith or whatever it was I was nitpicking (I live in an mmj state after all...). I think the vein I was hopeful of may be "20-20 hindsight" versus "posthumous", although the original and specific object of the adjective posthumous was to the original (and only)opportunity on which to capitalize.

I'm not sure I remember the original question.

Mikey is cleverer than you think.
Last edited by Bengal_Boy on April 3rd, 2010, 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 4th, 2010, 4:38 pm #27

Usually there's a loud low rumbling when a stampede of cattle approaches. In this particular case we have an accompanying cacophony of clanging and jangling. Lookout, everybody! Those 70 links found on Bengals.com translated to 80 frisky bell-cows trampling our way. More if you count the bell-cows generated by Geoff Hobson interviewees.

And what a variety of specimens they are. We have clear-cut bell-cows, happy bell-cows, bell-cow guys, needed bell-cows, full-time bell-cows, backup bell-cows, 16-game bell-cows, big bell-cows, top bell-cows, vet-rookie bell-cow tandems, new bell-cows, unequivocal bell-cows, and true bell-cows. As if that weren't enough, we also have the bell-cow theory, the bell-cow debut, the bigger bell-cow-type, the bell-cow job, the bell-cow insurance, and my personal favorite: the lions share of the bell-cow carries. Whoa doggie, that's one well rounded-up herd.

For you, Storm -- here's the baaing (mooing?) question I sent to Hobson Online. The link takes you right back to this page:
<font face="times roman">I'm frankly bullish on our bell-cow situation for 2010. Cedric Benson is a top back in the league,
and Bernard Scott filled in admirably when given the chance. Not to forget Brian Leonard, who
frequently came through in the clutch.

Then again, as they say where I come from, you never can have too many bell-cows. So it
wouldn't shock anyone to see them beef up at the position. (Jim Anderson, I'm sure, needs
very little prodding.) Regarding the draft, just how low do you think they'll they go before they
moove on a halfback?

P.S. You've got to see this discussion on bell-cow backs. http://bit.ly/clcbPa

Ring Bovine
Clangmore, WI</font>
DaCow, please take note of the extra herd member in Instance 21.

TOBB, I responded again to your question above, but the post is way up in the thread.

BMN, I completely agree about the century mark celebration. And the brew of choice is of course... Spotted Cow!
I got a fever and the only cure is more cow bell.

April 6th, 2010, 2:15 am #28

Cheers to Psycho our very own Bell Cow poster..obviously he can carry the load

"Well, it ain't braggin' if it's true
Yes sir, yes sir
It ain't braggin' if it's true
Muhammad Ali said that
Back when he was a young man
Back when he was Cassius Clay
Before he fought too many fights
And left his brain inside the ring"

April 6th, 2010, 4:57 am #29

Mooooooooo oooooooooo!

Hear that? That's the bell-cow lowing for you, Belko. But have no fear. We'll easily counteract the annoyance factor in any future bell-cow-isms.

Many thanks, and looking forward to having more fun with this topic.

April 6th, 2010, 5:59 am #30

This thread has me utterly impressed

"Well, it ain't braggin' if it's true
Yes sir, yes sir
It ain't braggin' if it's true
Muhammad Ali said that
Back when he was a young man
Back when he was Cassius Clay
Before he fought too many fights
And left his brain inside the ring"

Confirmation of reply: