A Bellicose Bellowing of "Bell-Cow" for Belko

September 13th, 2015, 11:09 pm #101

<font face="new times roman" size="3">No fan is an island, entire of itself.
Each is part of the main, a piece of the rock.

If by the sea the clods be washed away, or the bluff crag,
or thine friends home, or thine friends themselves,
Bengaldom is more the less.

Each loss burdens me, as I am involved in hob spin.
And so, ask not for whom the bell-cow lows.
It lows for thee. Moooooooo!

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What could possibly be more tedious than waiting for yet another NFL draft? Football-wise, it's by far the most excruciating time of the year. Might as well seize the opportunity to honor one of our very own MBS members. To be prepared especially for you, Belko -- an exhaustive catalog of Geoff Hobson bell-cow-isms. Periodically updated into perpetuity.

A current search on Bengals.com brings up 70 instances of the term. Rather than making one long post, I thought I would break things up into multiple entries. That way, I can add a dozen or two at a time, and return later when circumstances permit. The plan is to number each quotation for future reference. First set of entries to follow shortly.
Back a few years ago, every now and again, I got the impression that Hobson scanned our forum. He's got to monitor the bowels of Bengaldom, after all. LOL. This old thread has finally hit 100 posts!

January 7th, 2017, 6:40 am #102

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

What could possibly be more tedious than waiting for yet another NFL draft? Football-wise, it's by far the most excruciating time of the year. Might as well seize the opportunity to honor one of our very own MBS members. To be prepared especially for you, Belko -- an exhaustive catalog of Geoff Hobson bell-cow-isms. Periodically updated into perpetuity.

A current search on Bengals.com brings up 70 instances of the term. Rather than making one long post, I thought I would break things up into multiple entries. That way, I can add a dozen or two at a time, and return later when circumstances permit. The plan is to number each quotation for future reference. First set of entries to follow shortly.
It's baaaaaack! From an historical piece on Archie Griffin. Pete Johnson was bestowed the designation back in October.

INSTANCE 124 --- Still a Buckeye, once a Bengal (posted Oct 7, 2016)
That’s because he was the big back that Bengals general manager Paul Brown coveted and fit like hand-and-glove in the West Coast offense. They tried to replace Griffin, too, with bigger guys but couldn’t do that, either, although in an intriguing reversal Johnson became the Bengals’ bell cow while Griffin became an accessory in offensive coordinator Lindy Infante’s scheme.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/S ... ba643f4d98

January 7th, 2017, 6:51 am #103

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

Now that the thread is up and running again, I'll take the opportunity to add a couple of relevant quotations. They're in regard to bell-cows and queen bees.

Mike Brown, 2007:

"If you have the bell cow quarterback, it works. You have to have the key guy. If you don't have the key guy, it doesn't matter. ... The system, changed (to free agency), but one thing that didn't change was you still had to line up with a key player or two. Look at San Francisco (Steve Young), Dallas (Aikman), Miami (Marino), Denver (John Elway). They were good before and after the system. I'm not disparaging other players because you need as many good ones as you can get. But the quarterback is the key guy. Look at Buffalo this year."

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... 1D7742F908
Mike Brown, 2009:

"When you have a situation like ours, he's a very difficult fit," Brown said of [Michael] Vick. "Quarterbacks are like queen bees -- you can only have one of them before they start stepping on each other. And we have ours. Carson's the guy. That's why it just doesn't fit for here in a football sense."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... t-publicly
Yes, Mike Brown has really and truly described quarterbacks as both bell-cows and queen bees. Now I can fix my sig to link right here to this page.

December 3rd, 2017, 12:05 am #104

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

Time to revive this old thread, especially with the advent of Joe Mixon. Clearly he's one of the two featured players on offense along with AJ Green. Note, if you will, our first real twofer since 2012. We may be looking at the impending de-extinction of the notorious bell-cow.

INSTANCE 125 --- Bengals kicked in finale under injury cloud (posted Aug 31, 2017)
With Hill out, Cedric Peerman on injured reserve, and Giovani Bernard and Joe Mixon expected to be iced or barely play, the bell cow figured to be 5-9, 205-pound Jarveon Williams, a college free agent rookie out of Texas-San Antonio.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... b32801b962
INSTANCE 126 and 127 --- Quick hits: Big plays kill; Jax first pick NFL rarity;Lewis, Green elaborate on anthem (posted Sep 24, 2017)

Joe Mixon was the Bengals' bell cow Sunday with 62 yards on 18 carries.

Mixon had 62 yards on 18 carries, so now he’s officially the bell cow. Jeremy Hill had seven carries for 23 yards and Giovani Bernard 27 yards on three carries, 25 on one play. But there were too many minus plays for Mixon because he had plenty of big ones and added three catches for 39 yards. The problem is that 11 of his carries went for three yards or less ...

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Q ... ba893b77b7
INSTANCE 128 --- Media Roundtable: Bengals, Browns battle to get on track (posted Posted Sep 30, 2017)
DeShone Kizer, Sunday’s rookie quarterback, can hurt them running. He’s their second-leading rusher on 17 carries for 5.1 yards per carry, which tells you something about the state of the Cleveland running game. Their bell cow, Isaiah Crowell, is averaging 2.9 yards per carry and their wide receivers, without Corey Coleman, are reeling from a tough outing last Sunday in Indy.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/M ... 5655ad15ba
INSTANCE 129 --- Slants and screens: Mixon-Fournette again; Bullock questionable could force move; Green deja vu? (posted Nov 3, 2017)
Fournette has been on a roll since the draft. The Jags took him with the fourth pick and he’s raced to three 100-yard games in his first six gam in the league with the help of touchdown runs of 90 and 75. Mixon fell to the second round with red flags and while he’s been everything the Bengals knew he could be in and outside the facility as the bell cow, the running game has not and he’s barely averaging three yards per carry.

“It’s been slow, but we’ve been working at it,” Mixon said. “The line is grinding and the backs are out there looking to make plays.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/S ... 250b475f68

December 25th, 2017, 3:10 pm #105

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

Hobson left us a present under the tree this morning, Belko.

INSTANCE 130 --- Bengals flex Lions (posted December 25, 2017)
What’s best is the professionalism displayed by Boling and Bernard. It’s a nice rejoinder to the critics who wondered about the leadership of this team in the last two weeks while it blew up, 67-14. With rookie running back Joe Mixon shelved after just six touches Sunday with ankle injury, Bernard was the bell cow for the fourth straight week. Seven catches led the team to go with 23 carries, just the third time he’s h1t 20.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... 621bf4256a
Merry Christmas, everyone.
Last edited by psychostats on December 25th, 2017, 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 4th, 2018, 6:06 pm #106

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

This thread has been reserved for instances of Geoff Hobson using our second-favorite term. In this case we will shift gears and break with... ahem... continuity. Here's our ESPN blogger and beat writer with a headline and story that's too damn good to pass up. And don't overlook the photo caption.

SPECIAL BONUS INSTANCE --- Non-Bengals.com, non-Hobson occurance
Bengals plan to make Joe Mixon the 'bell-cow' running back in 2018
Katherine Terrell -- ESPN, NFL Nation, AFC North -- Feb 28, 2018

"Joe really came on for us in the later part of the year, second half of the season. He's going to be our bell-cow running back,"
Bengals player personnel director Duke Tobin said.

INDIANAPOLIS -- Cincinnati Bengals running back Joe Mixon didn't hold back his frustrations about not getting enough carries early in his rookie season.

It appears the Bengals plan to give him what he wants.

Bengals player personnel director Duke Tobin said that Mixon will be the lead running back next season, and they plan to lean on him heavily. This isn't a surprise considering Mixon began getting double-digit carries when Jeremy Hill went on injured reserve late in the season. It does essentially seal Hill's imminent departure, however. Hill will be a free agent in March, and has already posted his goodbyes to Cincinnati on social media. He was not even mentioned during Tobin's news conference at the NFL scouting combine Wednesday.

That departure has been a long time in the making after the Bengals took Mixon in the second round of the 2017 draft. Running back usage was frustrating for both Hill and Mixon for much of the year. At the beginning of the year, Hill was often given the first series of each half, but didn't have any snaps other than that. Against the Steelers in October, the team went away from the run entirely, causing Mixon to voice his opposition to the group's lack of carries. Juggling three running backs between Hill, Mixon and Giovani Bernard wasn't feasible with the team's lack of offense last year.

"Joe really came on for us in the later part of the year, second half of the season. He's going to be our bell-cow running back," Tobin said. "We are going to combine him with [Giovani Bernard] and we really feel good about that position group."

Mixon finished the season with 626 rushing yards and four rushing touchdowns in 14 games. ...

http://www.espn.com/blog/afcnorth/post/ ... ck-in-2018
I demand to know why Hobson hasn't reported on this! He posted the video with no commentary. Sheesh, what is this world coming to?

March 7th, 2018, 12:17 am #107

~Geoff Hobs-Dunne</font>

Well, it's about time. Hobson quotes Duke Tobin who has managed to also show up in the continuity threads on occasion. That dude is 100% front office pure beef parts.

This one counts as typical bonus instance.

BONUS INSTANCE --- Bengals re-build run with Mixon (posted March 6, 2018)
For the second straight year, Mixon was the talk of the combine even though he was all the way across the country in his native Bay Area. This time the discussion was limited to his team talking about the expanded role he assumed in the middle of his rookie season and now takes day one this spring.

Not just lead running back, but playmaker.

“Joe really came on for us in the later part of the year, second half of the season. He’s going to be our bell cow running back,” is how director of player personnel Duke Tobin opened the combine. “We are going to combine him with Gio and we really feel good about that position group.”

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/B ... faeb5af806
Logically we should expect quite a few entries this year.

Confirmation of reply: