2017 NFL Draft Thread

2017 NFL Draft Thread

April 23rd, 2017, 5:10 am #1

The draft commences Thursday. Which poor, young men, who have worked hard all their lives to get to the point where they get to fulfill their dreams of playing in the NFL, will have their career hopes dashed as they get drafted by a team that can, at best, get you to the playoffs but never win in them?

We can use this thread to discuss who the Bengals should draft, might draft, and of course the actual draft on Thursday night. I watch zero college ball, so I hope to pick up a draft guide in order to be able to follow along with the draft.

April 23rd, 2017, 11:10 pm #2

I think they need to go DE first. Most pundits are saying it will be Derrick Barnet. Many others are saying it will be Reuben Foster. I'd be surprised if it is though because the Bungs seem to regard LB's with the same low regard as OG's. On the other hand, what is it that Cedric Ogbuehi, Andrew Billings, William Jackson III all have in common? They all sat out their rookie seasons with injuries. And now people are saying Foster's surgically repaired shoulder isn't healing up right and he might need another surgery which would most likely end his rookie season too. This, along with reports he failed his drug test at the combine makes me afraid the Bengals will pick him. After all, if you're stupid enough to weed up right before your test you're on a par with Jeremy Hill level dumb and therefor a perfect Bengal.

Bottom line, who knows?

April 24th, 2017, 1:56 am #3

The draft commences Thursday. Which poor, young men, who have worked hard all their lives to get to the point where they get to fulfill their dreams of playing in the NFL, will have their career hopes dashed as they get drafted by a team that can, at best, get you to the playoffs but never win in them?

We can use this thread to discuss who the Bengals should draft, might draft, and of course the actual draft on Thursday night. I watch zero college ball, so I hope to pick up a draft guide in order to be able to follow along with the draft.
They need an OT and G - hopefully someone with flexibility to play more than one position. Without addressing the OL problems drafting a RB is senseless. Also they should keep Mccarren. I have a feeling with the OL problems they have that Dalton will get knocked out by the end of week 4.

April 24th, 2017, 2:58 pm #4

Correction: Foster failed his drug test because he provided a "diluted sample" which the league regards the same as a failed test.

April 24th, 2017, 9:15 pm #5

I honestly have no idea who they're going to draft. I've heard they're prioritizing taking a RB early, I've heard possibilities of taking a WR, I've seen instances over the years where they consistently draft corners in the 1st round, so I really have no clue. Their biggest needs in my opinion are pass rushers, any offensive lineman that is available, and maybe a LB. I agree with bengalbear on this one, you can't run the ball effectively if you don't have a competent o-line so I think they need to prioritize o-line early on even though we all know they most likely won't.

April 27th, 2017, 12:30 am #6

I have no idea who they will draft, either. The mocks seem to be all over the place. The scribes have convinced me about TE OJ Howard. He'd make a good pick, but with his draft stock rising he may not even be there.

At least we're only a day away from Round 1. Speaking of Round 1, I'm reminded again why the NFL gets on my nerves. Three freakin' days to hold a draft. Hype, hype, hype. Let's just get it over with.

April 27th, 2017, 3:06 am #7

The Bungles really need to concentrate on Offensive Line. Last year, they couldn't keep Dalton upright and the Running Game diminished.

This is due to horrible OL Play. Fisher and that other dud isn't the answer. I can bench more than those guys right now and I have 15+ years on them.

They need strength on that line. Something the Bungles lack right now. Shockingly, signing back buffet buster (Smith) is a real start. I don't mind that move at all. It will help the running game greatly.

But their 1st pick should be an OL. Don't care where it is on the OL. Should be a tackle though.

April 27th, 2017, 8:58 pm #8

I've heard they're prioritizing taking a RB early

This would be all wrong so naturally I expect it...

BMN
BMN

April 27th, 2017, 10:28 pm #9

Some of us here understand the importance of an offensive line...why don't those meatheads down at PBS get it? I have a feeling they will bomb miserably tonite.

April 27th, 2017, 10:36 pm #10

Tonight/this weekend is the ultimate Groundhog's Day for Bungs fans.

When the Bengals spot comes up, their team of scouts and their GM and management braintrust (which includes mostly men named Mike Brown as well as Duke Tobin) look at Kiper's best available and make that selection as long as it makes sense. Kiper and McShay praise the pick! The next two days much of the same. Bengals get an "A" draft grade in the Sunday papers, ESPN's Sunday talk shows, and NFL network all concur, while the Steelers get a B- and the Ravens a C+, causing them all to forget again for the moment that the Bengals are the Bengals and treat them like a real franchise, proclaiming that "this is the year that they challenge the Patriots in the AFC and they unseat the Steelers and Ravens in the AFC North. MBSucks has threads debating the draft picks as "well, they shouldn't have wasted a second round pick on a guard...we can get them in the 6th round and later, but as a whole I like this talent and if not for Marvin Lewis they would be ready for a Lombardi in 2017." Only to fast forward to December when their first round RB pick leads the NFL in fumbles, their third round TE has played a grand total of 6 snaps, and their 4th round punter pick is dead last in the NFL in net yardage.

Confirmation of reply: