Descriptions for a few unreleased games

Chat about anything N64 related including its Japan exclusive add-on, the 64DD.

Descriptions for a few unreleased games

cheaterdragon1
Dr. Kiln's Assistant
cheaterdragon1
Dr. Kiln's Assistant

October 28th, 2012, 12:05 am #1

I recently bought the Totally Unauthorized Nintendo 64 Games Guide Volume 2 by BradyGames, and in the back of the book there's some descriptions for upcoming games. I thought I'd share the beta/unreleased stuff here. Maybe some of the information will be new.

No screenshots unfortunately. Also I get the impression that the N64 was supposed to have a decent amount of RPGs, they just kept getting cancelled.
[TCZ]Male,,Canada,[/TCZ]

zombi
Bowser's Minion
zombi
Bowser's Minion

October 29th, 2012, 4:24 pm #2

Pictures aren't displaying for me.

cheaterdragon1
Dr. Kiln's Assistant
cheaterdragon1
Dr. Kiln's Assistant

October 29th, 2012, 9:38 pm #3

zombi @ Oct 29 2012, 11:24 AM wrote: Pictures aren't displaying for me.

Really? They work just fine for me. Try refreshing or try this link if it works:
http://i45.tinypic.com/dhcz79.jpg

Anybody else not seeing them?
[TCZ]Male,,Canada,[/TCZ]

AleckST-V
Gym Leader
AleckST-V
Gym Leader

February 26th, 2014, 6:30 am #4

EB64 descriptions are very interesting. too bad the 64DD met such a cruel fate. It had some real potential.
[TCZ]Male,18,United States,[/TCZ]

Ultra64K
Cartridge Completionist
Ultra64K
Cartridge Completionist

February 26th, 2014, 6:59 am #5

If the 64DD had a 1997 release, it might have actually stood a chance. What the hell took Nintendo so long? Either that or forget the 64DD and put everything on cartridge... Like what would inevitably happen.
[TCZ]Male,21,Canada,[/TCZ]

KrakenSoup
Panther King's Table Leg
KrakenSoup
Panther King's Table Leg

March 24th, 2015, 7:47 pm #6

Ultra64K @ Feb 26 2014, 01:59 AM wrote: If the 64DD had a 1997 release, it might have actually stood a chance. What the hell took Nintendo so long? Either that or forget the 64DD and put everything on cartridge... Like what would inevitably happen.

You know what, the N64 should've been the 64DD from the start. Even though the 64DD cassettes were still not up to the standard of CDs of the time, it was still better than cartridges. They really shot themselves in the foot during the 64-bit days. At the very least, Nintendo should've tried harder to really push the 64DD out the door and made that a priority. I love reading about unreleased games or games that went through a major transformation. Some of these descriptions I remember quite vividly, like "Super Mario RPG 2". I'll never forget the extreme disappointment I felt when they turned it into Paper Mario, despite eventually coming around to Paper Mario and loving it.

Ultra64K
Cartridge Completionist
Ultra64K
Cartridge Completionist

March 27th, 2015, 9:45 am #7

On one hand, "floppy" disks would have had their benefits, some more N64 games likely would have been released as well. The one big problem I see is floppy disks in general are always vulnerable to being erased accidentally due to magnetic interference. That and ZIP disk technology barely made a dent in the CD-ROM's market share.

I think we all know why Nintendo couldn't use CD-ROM with the N64. They pissed off Sony and Phillips with their prior dealings, both of whom had significant ownership of the CD format.

That said, I still love the N64 cartridges, warts and all.
[TCZ]Male,21,Canada,[/TCZ]